MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Vocal Zone

Old 2011-01-24, 22:52
Aidimar93
New Blood

Asking Alexandria/Attack Attack [HIGH SCREAMS]

Okay now,

I've been screaming for about 2 years, and am have got the technuiqe for fry screaming pretty much down. My technuiqe sounds a lot like Oliver Sykes on BMTH's second album "Count Your Blessings".

Recently I've been trying to learn how to do Attack Attack or Asking Alexandria high screams and I can't figure it out to save my life... One person told me that you just try to yell really loud and then raise the pitch... Which essentially is why I have no voice today

PLEASE give me some tips

Old 2011-01-25, 11:13
wapbamboo
New Blood

My first tip is to not try to sound like either of those bands.
I will try to help if you'll post a sample so I can see where you're at. If you have fry down, you should be able to get the AA sound.

Post away!

Old 2011-02-07, 19:12
krisowow
New Blood

Don't try and be like them. Except wapbamboo is wrong about asking alexandria, he used a mixture of false chord AND fry which makes him far better than the norm emo kid at least. But still for highs, check out " thy art is murder " and whitechapel imo. or even the crimson armada.

The technique behind highs = diaphram + wide open throat, tongue at bottom of your mouth, theres a way you have to start the high scream though that i really cant explain, its very intricate but once you do it you'll know exactly what i mean.

Old 2011-02-09, 11:27
wapbamboo
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisowow
Don't try and be like them. Except wapbamboo is wrong about asking alexandria, he used a mixture of false chord AND fry which makes him far better than the norm emo kid at least. But still for highs, check out " thy art is murder " and whitechapel imo. or even the crimson armada.

The technique behind highs = diaphram + wide open throat, tongue at bottom of your mouth, theres a way you have to start the high scream though that i really cant explain, its very intricate but once you do it you'll know exactly what i mean.

Didnt realize both bands had AA as acronyms... I meant Attack Attack and I always confuse fry with false chord...

I meant false chord

Old 2012-06-18, 21:28
Ozkur
New Blood

If you're referring to Attack Attack! on their Someday Came Suddenly album, Austin Carlile (also from Of Mice & Men) uses fry screams. It's the technique Melissa Cross refers to in her DVDs as the one she prefers.

It's done by creating a passive wall between your vocal chords (to quote Melissa) and requires very little air. Easier said than done, so watch her videos and some online. It's a fairly quiet scream, unlike what your friends seem to have told you.

Forcing a lot more air will not raise the pitch of this scream. For me it took a while to learn, but if you have fry screaming down consistently, then it's just a process of slowly bringing your voice box up in your throat without losing the sound.

Oli Sykes from BMTH uses a combination of false chord AND fry screams.

If you sound like the "I've got a secret" part from Chelsea Smile, you're actually doing false chords. You'll hear the difference in BMTH's songs. The part where it sounds like he's really yelling is false chords, and the parts where it's a little harder to understand :P are fry screams.

With fry screams you'll be able to hold the screams way longer considering they require very little air.

The way I learned to do it was to sing a note, and then drop it down as low as possible until you hear the individual vibrations over your voice. Then from there, you begin raising it slowly, but keeping the vibrating and not having any voice interrupt it. Eventually, you'll learn what the muscles feel like and you can begin raising the pitch even more and controlling it.

The vocal chords should NEVER hurt. But you will feel some fatigue in the muscles and won't be able to do whole songs right from the start.

I hope I helped. Drink lots of water, and warm up your voice before doing a long song or set.

Also, keep in mind it doesn't have to be loud, and there's a limit to how loud it can get before it's bad for your throat. So be more concerned with the sound than the volume.

Hope I helped.