MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2010-11-29, 22:44
Amadeus
Quantum.

Atmosphere sounds

So, I'm in the midst of yet another stage production, this time about one of my personal heroes - Galileo Galilei.

Thing is, that in my last two pieces I experimented a bit with using sounds instead of props to create a scene and I want to attempt and bring that a little further this time. Which of course would require, well, sounds. What I'm wondering is if any of you know of any good databases or sources with all kinds of sounds; people, wind, weather, ye old city streets, birds and so on. I already have a little, and of course we can record quite a bit on our own. But I just thought that, hey, if any of you know of something, there's no reason I should have to persuade Paddy to help me convince the rest of ya by doing something horrible with a certain pokemon dancer whose name he can't spell.

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

"Imagination is more important than intelligence" - Einstein

Old 2010-11-29, 23:02
Amadeus
Quantum.

Yea, I do agree that the most fun thing is to record your own, but it's always good to have a backup. Plus, if it's possible to find a recording depicting an olde worlde street it'd be a damn lot easier than trying to find one in real life. I'll check out Reason, thanks for the tip.

The basic setting is at an inn, 1642, the day after Galileo died. We're doing a sort of reverse psych trick on the audience; as soon as they step into the theater they become actors portraying people that are just coming from a concert and now stopping by said inn.
What then happens is that you get a clash between views, as several people who've been involved in the drama that is Galileo's life happen upon each other, and then the story gets told in a series of flashbacks.

Thing is, we're gonna move around a bit with this production, and the various premises are, well, different. So what we're doing is constructing as much as possible using projectors, sounds and professional costumes. And smells - it's amazing how much the proper lighting and the smell of freshly baked bread can tune your mind to a certain setting.

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

Old 2010-11-29, 23:04
Amadeus
Quantum.

Sooo.... something interesting happening with the forum here. The second post is in fact in reply to Dyldo's. This is weeeeird.

- Carl Sagan

Old 2010-11-29, 23:51
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

Reason has a good load decent samples of people ambience, cars, nature, etc. I can't remember which device has them, but if you have or want to use Reason I can find out.

I've always preferred to record it myself though as its more rewarding to have been there and have a little memory tied to the scene. Sure its more work, but its more satisfying in the end and it'll be more enjoyable (sorting through 100s of audio clips isn't very fun). Or mix and match, that's what I do a lot of I can't get a sample of something very particular. I just use a simple $30 voice recorder and it gets pretty good quality when transfered to the PC.

So how are you tying atmosphere sounds in with Galileo?
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Last edited by Dyldo : 2010-11-29 at 23:54.

Old 2010-12-02, 17:32
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

Whoa! Strange. It didn't even show up as a new reply when you replied ot my post because mine was pushed up to the newest.

That sounds interesting. Make sure to have it filmed. Let me know when you get Reason and I can direct you to the sound bank files that I talked about. Actually, when I get home I'll just find it and tell it to you.

I also know there are a lot of websites out there that have tons of world samples, but often you have to pay for them. Or, you can do what I did once and just loop the parts of the clip that doesn't have some bitch interrupting to tell you the price and shit.
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Old 2011-05-03, 08:01
blitz906
Okay.

Sometimes YouTube has free sound effects. If you find any good ones, you can just use one of those websites that covert a youtube video to mp3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompelledToLacerate
God, the Japanese are so weird. This HAS to be the long term effects of the atom bombs. No one is that weird on purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomli
The slams in that song always kill me. First time I heard that song I was like "Too much heaviness - brain collapse" but now I could murder my family to that one

Old 2011-06-06, 22:20
mikeeasley
New Blood
Banned

My friend thought me before how to convert from YouTube but I'll ask him again. I almost forgot!