Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2010-07-27, 14:56
FearFrost
The Mountie From Hell

soldering issue

heres the deal:

i have 2 passives (bare knuckle pickups warpigs) running in my BRJ vixen

im using 1 vol and a 3 way

after soldering, my grounds seem fine. however when i turn the volume down its not "off" just slightly lower in volume.

Old 2010-07-27, 18:48
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

My guitar just started to have the exact same issue. If I leave it about 1-2º from the completely off position, it will be off, but anything past that and there is some small volume coming through.
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Old 2010-07-27, 20:42
FearFrost
The Mountie From Hell

i emailed tim from bare knucle pickups, and he said a ground fault can cause this issue.

looks like my white/ 3/16 native ass is going to radio shack for some wire to re-ground this fucking thing.

Old 2010-07-29, 23:46
the_bleeding
Post-whore

i haz warpigs TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Anyway, what it sounds like to me is that the grounds coming off your knobs arent connecting well. So check those lines first, make sure theyre properly grounded to the pot bodies, and properly grounded to the output jack.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2010-07-30, 01:33
FearFrost
The Mountie From Hell

i fixed most of my issues, for me the ground from the volume pot to the back of the same pot had a bad connection, and now SHE BE FINE.

however, i still have some hum n hiss rocking, but nothing too bad, ill fix it soon, but for now

CHUG CHUG CHUG

Old 2010-08-06, 10:44
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Grounding... its a nightmare to get it perfect at times. The signal will bleed into an amps input without perfect grounds at all key points. The ground between your amp and guitar ground can be at different, but small, voltage potentials for many reasons. The different electromagnetic fields felt at the guitar, amp, and cables can change what the ground is referanced to between all aspects of the circuit. Basically, the guitar and cables need to be at the same or lower ground level of referanced than the amp in order for the system to be completely silent. That is why you will see grounds lifts on some amps. It can brake up ground loops in which grounds at higher voltage potentials will send a current INTO lower ground potentials. In an amp, that small differance gets amplified into sound.

In this case, if the guitar is turn all the way down but the signal bleeds into the input, the ground at the amps input is lower than the ground at the guitar, thus a small amount of voltage ( signal or hum ) is not being shunted completely to ground and out of the amp to earth. A small part of the signal is being reflected over some resistance between it and TRUE ground.

Metals are natural conducters of free electrons, but even a small piece of wire will have a small amount of resistance, measured in ohms or micro ohms. Thats why wires get hot in high current circuits due to something called I2R loses. The cross section surface area has some play but I'm not getting into that here. Metals also have a positive coefficient of conductivity. That means the hotter they get the more resistive they become but the cooler they get the better they conduct. Thats why super conducters are chilled with liquid N2. So basically in the case of the guitar, its ground will have a greater natural resistance than the amp due to the fact that there is a longer amount of wire between TRUE ground than that of the amp. Its the amps ground wire resistance + your cable and guitar ground wire resistance. In a perfect world metal would have no resistance. Now consider this; if you have a ground wire into the amp that acts as a resister...then some voltage ( signal ) is being reflected upon it and the input of the amp looks for that to then ampifiy. See where I'm going?

To compound the problem there is solder. A bad solder jount will act like a huge resistance ( far worse than metals natural resistance ) and the signal will reflect and drop a voltage over it and a high gain amp will really make it heard. Cheap pots, tarnished jack contacts, and other reactive components like cheap cables and capacitors will further the issue.

My advise is make sure you use good pots, clean the jack contacts, clean the switch contacts, use Mogami cable , shield the signal carriers, and really pay attention to your soldering. Basic soldering can be learned in minutes but you have to practise to be very good at it. One can also lift the ground of the amp a bit to kill hum and ground loops but thats another topic.

Hope I helped.