MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Metal > Bands

Old 2010-02-24, 18:26
SuspendedByTheThroat
Senior Metalhead

Despised Icon

for the past 2 years or so I must say this has been one of my top favorite bands,
thier original sound influenced by everything from deathmetal, grindcore, and hardcore and between.
they also are an original pioneer in the modern "deathcore" genre that is prevalent nowadays.

Old 2010-02-24, 18:48
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

I dislike them. Too much genre-mashing, overkill on the (often cheesy) breakdowns and I really hate a lot of the vocals the guy does
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Old 2010-02-26, 13:07
Gomli
ComeOutYeBlackAndTans!

I think they are not that bad at all I`d definately like to see em live

R.I.P moe

Old 2010-02-26, 14:53
SuspendedByTheThroat
Senior Metalhead

they're fucking brilliant live.
best band that was at Summer Slaughter IMO.
The faceless was really sloppy, and they sounded wierd playing without the synth player (this was right after the synth left the band but before the new album came out)

and as far as genre-mashing?
thier sound is rather fluid, it's not too random, everything complements the rest of the song (not on the very very old stuff mind you, the album with the female vocallist, that was just random BS)

they have 2 vocallists, and I think that thier vocals also compliment each other, it's hard to tell it's two vocallists unless you know it is, which is always difficult, a lot of bands try to use the two vocallist set up and fail due to the extreme variation in vocal tones and timbre.

I don't think thier breakdowns are cheesy, they never use the generic breakdowns like 95% of bands nowadays use.
they have thier own setups and sound for thier breakdowns and it's never overkill. well, in my mind.
they use music theory prevalently in thier writing, and they are definatly original in that aspect.
sometimes they slowdown to throw you off, but that is'nt usually a breakdown.
overkill? 1-2 breakdowns a song is'nt overkill IMO, where you have these bands such as Chelsea Grin (example) who play breakdown, filler riff, breakdown, filler riff, breakdown, filler riff REPEAT

I think as it comes to being musically adept, they have got it down.
expecially as thier albums have progressed.

The newest album i did'nt like at first, because they took off the squeels and the deathslam riffs that the had on Ills Of Modern Man, they replaced most of it with a more hardcore feel. But the structure and writing is Excellent.

the thing I like the most about them is that they have thier own sound.
even if you're listening to a song by them you've never heard before you know it's Despised Icon.

Old 2010-02-26, 14:56
SuspendedByTheThroat
Senior Metalhead

but then again i guess if you're one of the old school metal-heads that prefers monotonous music, then Despised Icon is not for you.

stick to your cannibal corpse.

Old 2010-02-26, 15:41
Gomli
ComeOutYeBlackAndTans!

Fuck you Cannibal Corpse is one of the most brilliant bands out there.
But I think you`re right about the two vocalist thing. It`s actually really hard to find two dudes that can sing about the same notes. I mean of course in bands like Napalm Death you need two vocalist that sound sooo unequal, anything else would just sound. . . wrong

R.I.P moe

Old 2010-02-26, 18:08
SuspendedByTheThroat
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomli
Fuck you Cannibal Corpse is one of the most brilliant bands out there.
But I think you`re right about the two vocalist thing. It`s actually really hard to find two dudes that can sing about the same notes. I mean of course in bands like Napalm Death you need two vocalist that sound sooo unequal, anything else would just sound. . . wrong

hahaha, I knew I'd get that response.
being as how Cannibal Corpse is probably rounded down one of the most popular bands among users on this site.

And you're right, there are some bands, expecially in the grind catagory where you're looking for extreme differences in vocals.

My old band Carnivorium used 2 vocallists, me and my friend Brian, He did all of the high range vocals where I did the lows, compatibly our vocals sounded completely different, however the fact that my lows were lower than low and his highs were higher than high, the extreme contrast made up for it.

people were seriously injured at the shows we headlined,
and the shows we played before the headlining band were nuts.
anyways enough bragging

like I said, older deathmetal fans prefer a more monotonous approach, Cannibal Corpse is'nt drastic or complex for the most part, there's no extreme contrasts or grind elements.

maybe I just have ADD or something, but bands like that tend to put me to sleep.

Last edited by SuspendedByTheThroat : 2010-02-26 at 18:10.

Old 2010-02-26, 18:28
CompelledToLacerate
FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

They're alright, but I get sick of them after a while. They can play, that's for sure, but their sound and the feeling I get from them, the word "bro-core" comes to mind. Out of all the deathcore bands out there, their one of the few I like.

Keep checking for new crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
It's really sad, all those people who don't understand why we shouldn't act like our enemies. The real victory is not only killing and imprisoning the terrorists, but also letting civilized manners override the lust for revenge, once the battle is over.

Old 2010-02-26, 19:18
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

I don't know how old they are but I haven't heard them much since like.. 2003ish so maybe they have gotten their shit together but, either way, I really just don't like deathcore.. at all. It annoys the living fuck out of me. And no, I don't prefer the more "monotonous" approach as I'm really not big on CC, Nile, Morbid Angel, etc - but at least their music doesn't remind me of a group of dirt-biking testosterone bags trying to compete for alpha male status (all while keeping up with the latest in boy's attire, of course!).

Now, I'm usually pretty against proving a point by how someone looks, but I mean, come on - seriously?. I guess it isn't any worse than most metal bands and their evil shtick but they don't make me feel like I'm being threatened by a group of cute little hamsters all dressed up trying to emulated Phil Anselmo. I guess the whole (mostly recent) hardcore tougher-than-you front really strikes a chord with me. Most fronts in general do, but, as we can see, some more than others.

But all that aside as its only by the music that one should judge a band, as I'm listening to them now, I just don't dig the music.
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Last edited by Dyldo : 2010-02-26 at 19:39.

Old 2010-03-01, 12:47
SuspendedByTheThroat
Senior Metalhead

judging any band based on thier looks is wrong, (but i must admit i can't stand those japanese bands where the members are actually guys, you know what i mean)
But i wouldnt put Despised Icon into the deathcore "trend" loop.
I think your tastes in music sir Dyldo are just against any form of hardcore influence? correct me if i'm wrong but that's how i'm taking it.
I for the most part am not big on the hardcore influence, but much bigger on the grindcore influence in music.
Infact I can't stand bands that go from deathmetaldeathmetaldeathmetal with 'hardcore structured vocals' into some sort of slowed down thrash riff (AKA a nu-hardcore) riff.

I definatly take the Deathmetal over the Hardcore any day, I just can't stand the monotonous sound of generic deathmetal.
Gotta change it up, keep it progressive and technical, if i can air drum or air guitar to it accurately the first or second time i hear it, your music is too dry.

that's what I love about DI, in essence, and most bands I listen to; they confuse the fuck out of the musician side of my brain.
I think; "how the fuck did they come up with that!?" or "that's fucking technical and fucking brilliant!"

The only positive hardcore influence gives on deathmetal is making it more energetic and pumped. but then again, Also does Grindcore.