MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2009-07-28, 00:56
AchromaticChronicles
Metalhead

Gear Suggestions/Advice

Alright I posted this at ROG as well but it I thought posting here would help, can't hurt.

I need some suggestions since I'm considering upgrading my gear. I'm tired of my 75 watt 1x12 Randall combo I've had it for far too long, I just got an X2N to replace my bridge pickup (using a bc rich virgo) and I've been looking into heads/cabs for about a month now. My budget is around $1100-1400 and I'd prefer a tube head, I'm willing to pay more for the head if I get the cab cheap.

So the following is a list of my current options, all used and within 4 hours of my current location:

Heads:

Genz Benz El Diablo 50/100 watt $850
Peavy 5150 $750 obo
Peavey Triple XXX 120 watt with extra tubes $700 obo
Marshall JCM900 50 watt $600
Vox Valvetronix AD120VTH $580 obo
Traynor YSR-1 Custom Reverb 45 watts $550 obo
Traynor YBA-1 60 watt $400 obo
Garnet Session Man (1972) 75 watt $350

No I can't afford an Engl, Framus, Mesa etc. nor can I find one used under $1500. Any other suggestions for heads to look for would be appreciated.

Cabs:

Vader 4x12 480 watt @ 8 ohms $700
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12 240 watt @ 4/8 ohms $650
Marshall 1960A 4x12 300 watt @ 4/8/16 ohms $550
Randall RS125CX 4x12 240 watt @ 8 ohms $450 obo
Marshall 1960A 4x12 300 watt @ 4/8/16 ohms $400 (different town)

That's the list for now, there's a Bogner 4x12 for $950 but fuck that. I have tried several heads (peavey xxx, a few garnet/marshal/traynor/vox/crate heads) and several cabs (marshal/vox/peavy/traynor) but I haven't had the chance to try a vader cab or mesa/genz head. The guy selling the vader 4x12 is also selling the 5150, together for $1400. Both have been listed for about 3 months.

I was originally looking at the Vader 2x12 but I can't find one used, and new in Canada it's like $850 after shipping/tax. Anyone who has experience with what I've listed give me some advice, I'm a newbie when it comes to gear/electronics.

STOP THE HORSESHIT.

"Nothing binds a father and a son more closely than the truth behind the decapitated hooker in the rec room."

Old 2009-07-31, 19:13
the_bleeding
Post-whore

First. What kind of music are you playing. This will give me an idea of what you might want for an amp.

Second, try an El Diablo before you ever consider buying one, they sound... awful.

Third, skip vader, they're really not worth it in canada. If you wanted to go custom build, you could either order an empty 2x12 from Emperor for 375, and then put speakers in it (so 120 per speaker, gives you about $620). Or you could get an avatar, who makes really good cabs for way cheap, they have a dealer in winnipeg. Or you could find a local cab maker, blahblahblah.
That mesa recto cab is actually a decent price, and that would be my first choice, i have one and it made me sell my marshall cab because it sounds so much better. The only downside is it weighs 40 pounds more due to the better wood, bigger size, metal handles, and bigger wheels among other things.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!