MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Drums Zone

Old 2009-03-20, 17:34
BDM336
New Blood

Wrist injury from blasting

hey guys, so i spent most of yesterday building up my left hand speed for blasting and every now and then when id tighten up my wrist to get my fingers moving the stick a little easier id feel a slight pain starting to build up on the left side of my wrist.the pain was kinda sharp and it felt like my muscles or bones were gettin too tight and grinding against eachother.also about 4 years ago i broke my left wrist so idk if that has anything to do with this pain. anyways so i woke up this morning and my wirst is mad sore and it feels as if i sprained it somehow.it hurts to move it fast or rapidly and the pain is coming from where it was hurting the following day, but way worse.the technqiue im using is the same one for my right hand which i had no problmes with getting speed and i had no pain. So im guessing im just putting to much strain on my fingers and wrist perhaps? any help or advice would be great.

Old 2009-03-21, 14:02
RainbowGenocide
New Blood

I would take a couple days off drumming and ice it, if after 2 days the pain has not gotten somewhat better I would see a doctor.

Old 2009-03-21, 16:14
drawn&quartered
Too _____, wouldn't fuck

the wrist should be relaxed when blasting. keep it in the fingers and forearm, and avoid using the upper arm

NEGROGENESIS

Old 2009-03-22, 00:05
The Execrator
Noob lud

WARM UP PROPERLY BEFORE EVERY DRUM SESSION

It is so easy especially for extreme metal drummers to fuck up your wrists from not learning a good warm-up routine. If your wrists are just chilling, then all of a sudden you start blasting at 230BPM they are going to strain. Just like with weight lifting, you want to warm up with something comfortable to get more blood pumping to your muscles. Start slow and play some 8th notes, try to play along to a metronome. Start your practice sessions blasting at a completely comfortable speed. I would recommend doing this for at least 10 minutes, 25 at a most. When you start playing the faster stuff it will feel so much easier and better! I used to have problems with a sharp pain in my right wrist from playing the ride and hihats but problem is solved with a simple warm up.

This is a good one to try out
It's boring as fuck just playing this on your hands but there's a bunch of ways to incorporate something like this into a fun routine. Have at it and let me know if you have any luck!

@D&Q- There is no right or wrong when it comes to playing with your wrists or fingers, it's all preference. There's definitely way more power when you use your wrists, but I have seen drummers get some exceptional power with their fingers. If you play with your wrists, you're obviously not going to keep them relaxed while playing though. Using your upper arms is usually the result of trying to play something you're not yet capable of playing, so yes that is bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Please excuse me for I currently have a terminal erection, and the only cure is midget-cunny.

Last edited by The Execrator : 2009-03-22 at 00:10.

Old 2009-03-22, 00:33
BDM336
New Blood

thanks guys my wrist feels fine now. but the thing is i can blast good and fast with that hand using more of my wrist and just using my fingers for a little push when iv got alot of momentum going, and have no problem. its just now im tryin to build up finger speed and strength and tryin to play with just my fingers and less of my wrist and all of a sudden now my wrist kills, im guessin its just my finger technique or somethen.

Old 2009-03-24, 15:57
drawn&quartered
Too _____, wouldn't fuck

To add on to my last post, try using the wrist more as a swivel point then a driving force, and use the forearm to generate power. It may look like you are using your wrists, but when you are new to this method you should feel the burn more in your forearms. If your wrist is still killing you, you might be using your fingers too much or your grip could be too tight. keep in mind pianists and typists can get wrist pain from using their fingers when the wrist is in a bad position, its not much different when it comes to drummers.

I know that there is no right or wrong way to blast, but there are advatages and disadvantages to each method. Ultimatly you will have to experiment and find out what is best for you, a good idea would be to find blasting technique videos on youtube and try some out.

NEGROGENESIS

Old 2009-05-21, 03:34
BDM336
New Blood

o and one more thing if you guys could help me with it. after warming up and playing a bit i can blast up to around 250 bpm. but after i stop playing for like 15-20 minutes my speed is back to what it was when i first started warming up, you no like kinda straining to play at faster speeds or like you just woke up and thats the first time you played that day. is it because i havent fully mastered playing at 250bpm to just be able to play it no problem all time, or do you always have to keep playing to stay warmed up and keep your blasts at top speed. i notice this when i practice with my band, like il warm up at home and be blasting fine but when i go over my vocalists house (who also plays drums) and havent played for 2o-30 minutes my blasting goes to shit. any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys!