MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Drums Zone

Old 2002-12-17, 22:47
MeTalManiac555
Supreme Metalhead

i have a question?

I was wondering, I dont know shit about drums because I play guitar, but...... If I want to start palying then what are some good drums would the tama rockstart drum set be good or would pearl be better, also, do you guys think that I should take drum lessons or just teahc myself and play songs? Most of my problem is that I want to buy some drums but alot of the ones that I want dont come with cymblas and i dont know what cymbals to get for it if they dont come with it, liek what are the normal symbols that usually will come with a drum set? Please let me know. Thanks!! Hail!!!!
twilight casts spells on those who espouse their fate

ice pricks necks like knives, leaving shards of cadaverous skin
tears spout from eyes, shunned from mankind's den
(Prayer For Cleansing/ "A Dead Soal Born")

Old 2002-12-18, 01:38
EmperorMalignus

If you want to learn to play drum, buy USED drum, or non-expensive set.
you dont need a 2000$ kit when you begin. taking course is also very usefull, you cant teach yourself drums, well you'll waste your time.

hope that will help

BTW, i'm not a very good drummer, i'm a guitarist

Old 2002-12-18, 01:38
EmperorMalignus

Old 2002-12-18, 09:07
bigglen
New Blood

K. If you can get lessons and are serious about wanting to drum certainly take them. Personally I haven't got a drum teacher near me so I didn't have a choice. I don't know how I rate as a drummer but this was what I did to start with. Went to a drum shop in Sydney and bought myself a relatively quality beginner drum set for $500. Later, I got new skins then bought a double kick and now some Zildgian Cymbal as I built my money up. I started with no name cymbals though. Well that's what I did anyway.

Old 2002-12-18, 18:55
MeTalManiac555
Supreme Metalhead

Well ok cool thanks man. I might just have to get a drum set next year or somehtign because right now I have no money and neither do my parents so I need to get a guitar amp and shit. Thanks Anyways.

Old 2003-02-15, 01:45
Polaris18716
New Blood

Like most guitarists, they know shit about drums, but... A good starter set is a TAMA Swingstar 5-piece. As far s cymbals go. Sabian have really great cymbals. They have this series called B8. they are great plus not expensive. The only thing is, if your a hard hitter like me you'll break it easily. I need to have AAXs. If it comes with cymbals then good, but if It doesnt then try B8 or B8 Pro.

Old 2003-02-23, 15:58
The Doctor
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by EmperorMalignus
taking course is also very usefull, you cant teach yourself drums, well you'll waste your time.

bullshit man, i've teached it myself and honestly, i'm not bad at it.
I just can't understand the fucking tabs

Last edited by The Doctor : 2003-02-23 at 16:00.

Old 2003-02-24, 07:08
eviscerator
New Blood

It's very true, you can teach yourself to drum. I had worked with music theory for 5 years before i began drumming so getting to know the basics was pretty easy for me. I think i know enough theory to go on to the advanced stuff to though.
I bought my drums used (peace basedrum, snare, and toms; Paiste 302 hihat and ride cymbal (this series is the worst shit in the world but wtf)). I bought the drums for ½ of what new drums cost, and they're the same quality as new ones. I bought a Turkish thin paper 16" crash as well (that cost the same as my drums, lol)

Old 2003-02-24, 14:20
The Doctor
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

i have this piece of dump as long as i can remember, the hi-hat is teared open and i once kicked through the basdrum, i didn't feld like buying another one so i just tirned the whole thing around

Old 2003-02-27, 20:06
G_urr_A
Supreme Metalhead

Get someone to show you the basics, and then you'll be able to teach yourself. About wasting your time or not, I don't know, because I have only learnt drumming once. I had my brother show me the basics 4 years ago, and ever since, I have been the best drummer in my music class (or whatever word you would use for the group of ppl who are in the same group in schools music education). I wouldn't say I'm good, but I can manage.

If you have the money, and don't feel you need it for something else, I'd say try a few lessons, and see what you think.

Old 2003-03-13, 03:36
MeTalManiac555
Supreme Metalhead

Well ok..... I got a TAMA Artstar ES set from my friend with everything besides cymboles and it was 260 american dollars and it's great, I heard on the tama website that the Artstar ES that I have which they don;t make anymore are the best for metal. Does anyone know if that's right or not?