MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2008-12-06, 23:35
Nightwind
New Blood

Another need help with choosing an amp thread

I might be asking the impossible, but I need an amp with both good distortion, or at least something suitable for extreme metal, and a clean sound that will make my Gilmour-plagiarizing solos sound good (see the first solo of Shine On You Crazy Diamond and you get the idea). I'm also not able to invest more than, say, 800$. So basically, I need the best amp you can get with only this much money, one that has these types of sounds especially.

I've been hearing good things about the cleans of Hughes&Kettner amps, and I've been thinking of buying ATTAX100. On the other hand, I've heard complaints about the distortion on that amp. Are there any amps that could match the cleans of H&K and still have proper distortion sounds for black metal and doom metal?

Old 2008-12-27, 09:49
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwind
I might be asking the impossible, but I need an amp with both good distortion, or at least something suitable for extreme metal, and a clean sound that will make my Gilmour-plagiarizing solos sound good (see the first solo of Shine On You Crazy Diamond and you get the idea). I'm also not able to invest more than, say, 800$. So basically, I need the best amp you can get with only this much money, one that has these types of sounds especially.

I've been hearing good things about the cleans of Hughes&Kettner amps, and I've been thinking of buying ATTAX100. On the other hand, I've heard complaints about the distortion on that amp. Are there any amps that could match the cleans of H&K and still have proper distortion sounds for black metal and doom metal?

Thats definitely a tricky one. There are definitely amps out there that can pull this off, but you would be hard pressed to find them under $1500, let alone $800. You might be best off going the modeling route, when tweaked properly alot of the Line6 stuff can sound good. Ive gotten some fairly convincing Gilmour tones out of cheaper Line6 combos. You will always be more satisfied though if you save up and get something great.
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut

Old 2009-01-12, 22:42
the_bleeding
Post-whore

if you raise your budget, vht deliverance or engl blackmore. But val is right, check out modelling stuff.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2009-01-27, 16:09
Nightwind
New Blood

Okay, thanks for the suggestions and help. I'll see if I can somehow raise the budget.

Old 2009-01-28, 00:32
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

Gilmour-esque solos will come from a solid Fender Deluxe, Twin, or Super Reverb style amp or anything similar in design and tone. On the other hand, they can't handle alot of gain. I can vouch on the ENGL blackmore. My buddy has one, lots of gain... no problem at all. The cleans even sound pretty pristine as well, not really as warm and buttery as a Fender.

BuildTheMusic.com is your #1 FREE online guitar resource center.

Old 2009-01-28, 07:56
the_bleeding
Post-whore

Now technically, the amp that will fit your needs is a framus cobra. Fender clean channel, and the crunch and lead are destroyers. See if you can find one used. Though it will still cost you 1400$.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2009-06-05, 19:24
Amplitude
Metalhead

An ADA MP-1 with some sort of power amp can be really cheap. If you mod your MP-1, you could get any sort of tone you want. I highly recommend it. My MP-1 + Peavey Classic 60/60 only cost me $325 total.