Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Vocal Zone

Old 2008-09-28, 18:36
Giorgi
New Blood

Vocal Fry

Yo.

1. do you believe in vocal fry ?

2. what technique does the guy in slipknot use to scream? I like his tone.

Old 2008-09-30, 03:03
metalhead220
New Blood

practically every band uses vocal fry whether ppl believe it or not......slipknot uses the vocal fry but its more of a yell wit the vocal fry...u should work ur way from whisper 2 a yell otherwise ur goin 2 hurt ur chords

Old 2009-02-01, 20:54
steviecanflyyyy
New Blood

yes vocal fry is definitely a valid form of screaming. you use less of your real voice and more of your falsetto

Old 2009-04-13, 18:37
JAKEjurasSICK™
New Blood

Cool

I use vocal fry to stretch my vocal chords and make them stronger

Old 2009-05-01, 20:34
UncertainFear

I love vocal fry, been working on learning it for about two months now and it definitely seems like a valid style. Since this is about vocal fry I pose a question.. At what level should the volume of a vocal fry be? Someone commented that the reason I was having a feeling of weakness in my voice after screaming was due to pushing too hard.. Too much pressure in the throat and it was wearing it down. So.. When you push from the diaphragm and do the fry, how loud should it be?

Old 2009-05-08, 01:36
TravisShade
New Blood

Question

I'm not familiar with the term vocal fry, but it seems like a very useful excercise/style. Could someone please explain to me what vocal fry is, and how to use it?

Old 2010-12-04, 22:43
projectvenusblake
New Blood

If fry screaming is quiet, then it isn't fry screaming, it is pseudo screaming. There is a profound difference. Fry screaming should be just as loud if not louder than false chord screaming.

Inform me if I am incorrect. That is how I do fry screaming anyway.

Old 2010-12-05, 05:35
squid-boy
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectvenusblake
If fry screaming is quiet, then it isn't fry screaming, it is pseudo screaming. There is a profound difference. Fry screaming should be just as loud if not louder than false chord screaming.

Inform me if I am incorrect. That is how I do fry screaming anyway.

For most, yes! However, a lot of people struggle with maintaining or achieving good, bellowing volume screams/growls with using fry. If you have this problem, start out quiet, then practice getting it louder and louder every day, while maintaining good tone. It's all about knowing how to manipulate your voice in a way that won't harm you and that achieves the best possible output of the technique you're employing.

Old 2010-12-07, 23:01
projectvenusblake
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid-boy
For most, yes! However, a lot of people struggle with maintaining or achieving good, bellowing volume screams/growls with using fry. If you have this problem, start out quiet, then practice getting it louder and louder every day, while maintaining good tone. It's all about knowing how to manipulate your voice in a way that won't harm you and that achieves the best possible output of the technique you're employing.

Thx for clarifying this squid. That is some seriously useful information and confirms that my highs are in fact fry screams
I am content.
"We talk about civilization as though it's a static state. There are no civilized people yet, it's a process that's constantly going on... As long as you have war, police, prisons, crime, you are in the early stages of civilization." ~Jacque Fresco