MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Music Theory

Old 2007-08-30, 01:32
Stormrider8158
New Blood

Studying Theory?

I was thinking about studying theory in college, but according to some of my friends in the buisiness, and from what I've read from others and many on this site, is that I may be better off just learning this stuff on my own. Even my guitar teacher has said the majority of what is taught is outdated and not needed in most modern-day songwriting. What I do need to learn, I can just find on my own.

Wanted some other opinions on the matter.

Thanks.

Old 2007-08-30, 03:07
JOAMdude
Post-whore

don't bother with going to school for it.
you won't get what you wan't

Old 2007-08-30, 11:23
Unanything
Post-whore

Yeah, you are better picking it up on your own, because it'll allow your own mind to come up with it's own idea of it. And you'll be taught from a perspective as well, of what is normal and what is not. The first kinda theory I learned was the Phrygian Dominant/Major scale because I wanted to learn to make Eastern sounds, which is hardly what they'll teach you first. They also give you this horrible view of chords which just complicates things for learning the general idea of chords, at least on guitar.

I did do Higher Music over here in Scotland, but it was only to jump my knowledge of music, as opposed to being geared into a mindset. The teachers thought I had too rebellious a mind to gear anyway.

Theory just works depending on you. It's OK to pursue it and OK not to. Daniel Mongrain puts it perfectly in his interview with The Metal Observer. Some of us feel compelled to know the "logic of music".

Deciding not to learn it because it is apparently outdated, obsolete or doesn't apply is just conforming to a trend, make up your own mind. Of course, you may just reach this conclusion. Remember, theory applies to even simple things like knowing what a chord or an interval sounds like, which everyone shares in really. It is all knowledge of sound. Slayer what sound comes out when you make one guitar play three frets higher.

http://www.metal-observer.com/artic...1&sid=4&id=4594

www.garageband.com/tranxnart
www.myspace.com/tranxnart
www.youtube.com/user/Tranxhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while fucking you in the eye. Brutal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadude
I coated the end of a toothpick with Satan's blood and simply wiped it across the top of an omelet. PERFECT!

Last edited by Unanything : 2007-08-30 at 11:39.

Old 2007-08-31, 18:35
powersofterror
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider8158
I was thinking about studying theory in college, but according to some of my friends in the buisiness, and from what I've read from others and many on this site, is that I may be better off just learning this stuff on my own. Even my guitar teacher has said the majority of what is taught is outdated and not needed in most modern-day songwriting. What I do need to learn, I can just find on my own.

Wanted some other opinions on the matter.

Thanks.

The majority of what is taught must be done one step at a time in the right order. You must learn the basics, this "outdated" stuff you are probably referring to (although I seriously don't believe it's outdated), then you can start learning modern music theory. Very few composers today completely disregard the music theory set in place all those long years ago...
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx

Last edited by powersofterror : 2007-08-31 at 18:39.

Old 2007-09-02, 16:41
Unanything
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by powersofterror
The majority of what is taught must be done one step at a time in the right order. You must learn the basics, this "outdated" stuff you are probably referring to (although I seriously don't believe it's outdated), then you can start learning modern music theory. Very few composers today completely disregard the music theory set in place all those long years ago...

I am likely supporting your point by saying this, but why should the rules change if they have provided a so-far unfailing model of sound and we relate to sounds in the same way.

www.garageband.com/tranxnart
www.myspace.com/tranxnart
www.youtube.com/user/Tranxhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while fucking you in the eye. Brutal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadude
I coated the end of a toothpick with Satan's blood and simply wiped it across the top of an omelet. PERFECT!

Old 2007-10-22, 05:10
Oldskoolmetal
New Blood

i agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unanything
I am likely supporting your point by saying this, but why should the rules change if they have provided a so-far unfailing model of sound and we relate to sounds in the same way..

good luck

Old 2007-10-22, 05:40
CompelledToLacerate
FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Unless you want to major in music, don't take theory. Learn it, of course, but it's not going to help you anymore to spend money on a class that teaches you stuff that you could learn anywhere else.

But of course, if you need some extra elective credit, it wouldn't hurt to take. it. if you really want to. Plus, you have a teacher there who will actually help you.

Keep checking for new crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
It's really sad, all those people who don't understand why we shouldn't act like our enemies. The real victory is not only killing and imprisoning the terrorists, but also letting civilized manners override the lust for revenge, once the battle is over.