MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Bass Zone

View Poll Results: What are your favourite sounding single pedal effects for bass? (Multiple Choice)
Overdrive/Fuzz 8 24.24%
Chorus 7 21.21%
Wah 5 15.15%
Synthesizer 0 0%
Compressor 2 6.06%
Echo/Delay 3 9.09%
Just natural tube overdrive, no pedals. 1 3.03%
None at all, my amp does just fine. 4 12.12%
I use a multiple EFX unit and like all of the above. 3 9.09%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-08-06, 08:34
blitz906
Okay.

Official Bass Effects Thread

So this is the official bass effects thread. Discuss bass effects here, which ones you use, which ones you want to buy, which ones you reccomend etc...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompelledToLacerate
God, the Japanese are so weird. This HAS to be the long term effects of the atom bombs. No one is that weird on purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomli
The slams in that song always kill me. First time I heard that song I was like "Too much heaviness - brain collapse" but now I could murder my family to that one

Old 2007-08-06, 12:24
Requiem
Post-whore

I haven't really had a chance to play around with any effects. Though I don't think I would like any. Doesn't seem like the bassists job to use effects when playing with a band. Could be fun to do when you're bored.

Old 2007-08-07, 18:53
BassBehemoth
Die Young.

I don't own anything for bass effects, but about the only thing I would use is a compressor if I had the choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe_blunts
you done told me lots of thangs bout beer n shit and canada. have a grand ol cunt of a good time.

RIP moe.

Old 2007-08-07, 23:11
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

I have an old Boss HF-2 Hi-band Flanger that sounds really cool on bass, a very watery Tony Levin-esque kind of sound. Other than that, delay is cool every now and then.
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut

Old 2007-08-07, 23:29
blitz906
Okay.

I like fuzz/overdrive sometimes when used sparingly, but only when it's subtle. Too much sounds like shit in my opinion, same goes with bass chorus... it's a beautiful sounding effect, but only when you have just a little bit dialed in.
Quote:
God, the Japanese are so weird. This HAS to be the long term effects of the atom bombs. No one is that weird on purpose.
Quote:
The slams in that song always kill me. First time I heard that song I was like "Too much heaviness - brain collapse" but now I could murder my family to that one

Old 2007-08-22, 15:13
Venom of God
New Blood

I impulse bought a Zoom B2.1u a month or two back, pretty budget pedal compared to a lot of them but it is good fun! In a band situation I only seem to use it for the tuner/mute function though, a bit of compression if the compressor in the amp is shit.

It actually has a fair few effects, but I'm not very good with dialing things in and don't know which ones to use in a band situation... perhaps someone here can help me! By that I mean when I might use chorus, phaser, delay etc... I'm starting to get the feeling they're just a novelty haha!

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/b21u/

I mainly play 80s hair metal and death metal when it comes to bass.

Old 2007-08-29, 08:40
blitz906
Okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom of God
I impulse bought a Zoom B2.1u a month or two back, pretty budget pedal compared to a lot of them but it is good fun! In a band situation I only seem to use it for the tuner/mute function though, a bit of compression if the compressor in the amp is shit.

It actually has a fair few effects, but I'm not very good with dialing things in and don't know which ones to use in a band situation... perhaps someone here can help me! By that I mean when I might use chorus, phaser, delay etc... I'm starting to get the feeling they're just a novelty haha!

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/b21u/

I mainly play 80s hair metal and death metal when it comes to bass.

Chorus sounds quite nice when playing old rock. Duff McKagan used it sometimes when he was in Guns n' Roses. I think Chris Squire uses it quite a bit too. Put just a LITTLE bit on though. Too much will totally drown it and your tone will sound sludgy. But just a little bit of chorus dialed in makes a nice shimmering sound. I also heard it in a Rush song once... just can't remember which one right now.
Quote:
Quote:

Old 2007-08-29, 18:22
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

I hardly use effects, but the sound of an DOD envelope filter is pretty nice now and then, when used at the right times!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal=life
Hey don't talk back buddy. Give your dick size or don't post.

Old 2007-09-23, 13:13
cw4119
Senior Metalhead

My favorite is definitely chorus. That combined with a delay sounds pretty awesome. These effects are usually better when you're playing solo or you're the rhythm in a cleaner song, like in Blind Faith by Dream Theater.

Old 2007-09-24, 12:06
Venom of God
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz906
Chorus sounds quite nice when playing old rock. Duff McKagan used it sometimes when he was in Guns n' Roses. I think Chris Squire uses it quite a bit too. Put just a LITTLE bit on though. Too much will totally drown it and your tone will sound sludgy. But just a little bit of chorus dialed in makes a nice shimmering sound. I also heard it in a Rush song once... just can't remember which one right now.

Didn't notice this before, thanks for the tips! I will give this a proper go tomorrow, when family members aren't in bed

Old 2007-11-04, 09:08
matterthief
Metalhead

If you really want to have fun making some noise - get a Dunlop Crybaby Bass pedal!

Old 2007-11-04, 09:55
blitz906
Okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matterthief
If you really want to have fun making some noise - get a Dunlop Crybaby Bass pedal!

Hell yeah! Those are awesome for funk.
Quote:
Quote:

Old 2007-12-06, 17:57
Hobo_Stew
New Blood

I love my Sans Amp distortion. It's about the only effect I use on bass.

Old 2007-12-07, 03:03
The Execrator
Noob lud

I love when my bass has a grindy sound when I record for my solo band. A little distortion adds an extra edge to the music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Please excuse me for I currently have a terminal erection, and the only cure is midget-cunny.

Old 2007-12-07, 04:16
blitz906
Okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Execrator
I love when my bass has a grindy sound when I record for my solo band. A little distortion adds an extra edge to the music.

Agreed... even the smallest amount of 'grit' can make a song so much more aggressive.
Quote:
Quote:

Old 2007-12-07, 13:42
Zionist
My Ass, Your Face

I love to play around with my flanger pedal.
Wore her out before I could finish(which im grateful for)

Funeral Mulch; My brutal death metal band from West Michigan.