MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Bass Zone

Old 2007-07-29, 19:04
bassist_of_light
Supreme Metalhead

Unique basslines

How do all of you go about writing lines for the current bands you are currently or have been in???

Once a few respones come in i will post my methods. This should be fairly interesting for the music buffs.

my myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/bassist_of_light

Old 2007-07-30, 10:06
epitaph
Senior Metalhead

I find it hard as fuck to create a riff on my own, but if someone has created the riff already, its really easy for me to improvise on it, or improve the riff itself

Old 2007-07-30, 10:32
blitz906
Okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epitaph
I find it hard as fuck to create a riff on my own, but if someone has created the riff already, its really easy for me to improvise on it, or improve the riff itself

Yeah same here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompelledToLacerate
God, the Japanese are so weird. This HAS to be the long term effects of the atom bombs. No one is that weird on purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomli
The slams in that song always kill me. First time I heard that song I was like "Too much heaviness - brain collapse" but now I could murder my family to that one

Old 2007-07-30, 15:43
basstendencies
Senior Metalhead

i will usually start screwing around in a specific key, and from there try and develop a melody. once ive got the melody its all gravy from there.

Old 2007-07-30, 17:03
bassist_of_light
Supreme Metalhead

well, first i rhythmically observe how my line should be written. In my opinion the bass is a melodic percussive instrument that you hold in your hands, so using the bass like it is a mix between drums and guitar usually will lead me to find a general groove outside of what the guitarist is playing.

secondly if i haven't helped with working on a song and just my guitar player wrote the entire thing, then i will just learn his parts and once drums come into the mix i meld his parts and add that rhythmic feel i mentioned earlier.

Lastly i do my best to make melodic lines that catch you off guard. Many bassists do their job, which is to hold down the fort, but the guys who most bassists aspire to be add another function to what they do and that is playing parts that utilize the groove of the song, and the melody of the song. If you write parts that stand out and still manage to keep the general beat of the riff then and only then will you get the same kind of recognition that the other members of the band get, and you will also be much more my satisfied with the outcome of your lines.

my myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/bassist_of_light

Old 2007-10-22, 08:28
blitz906
Okay.

I also hear new melodies as I'm trying to go to sleep. It happens a few times a week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompelledToLacerate
God, the Japanese are so weird. This HAS to be the long term effects of the atom bombs. No one is that weird on purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomli
The slams in that song always kill me. First time I heard that song I was like "Too much heaviness - brain collapse" but now I could murder my family to that one

Old 2007-10-22, 17:24
Me himself
Supreme Metalhead

My friend who plays bass isn't in my current band because he works in a sheet metal factory for something like 12 hours a day, 5 days a week so he really doesn't have time to be in a band; otherwise, he'd join in a heartbeat. But he jammed with us a few times and he put a WHOLE new side to our music. He would use a lot of harmonies to ride on and usually follow more closely with the 1st guitarist/drums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassist_of_light
well, first i rhythmically observe how my line should be written. In my opinion the bass is a melodic percussive instrument that you hold in your hands, so using the bass like it is a mix between drums and guitar usually will lead me to find a general groove outside of what the guitarist is playing.

That sounds spot on to me. I completely agree. You're also right about doing more than simply "holding down the fort". Bass has way too much potential for it to be wasted on simple rhythm lines. I and I think most people love it more when the bassist came come out and have it's own face, while covering it's unique duty of grooving. So the bassist still holds down the fort, but sometimes, will go out there and fight like the rest, or sometimes do even both at once, so to speak.

Just throwing this out there, Death - Destiny has a lot of really cool bass work... hell pretty much the whole album does!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB_ZE_METALLEU
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannibalXampire
Everyone is wrong.

Old 2007-10-25, 08:27
Mardraum
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by epitaph

Same thing here as well. I just can't write good pieces loosely, it doesn't work for me.

But apart from that I completely agree to the opinion of trying to groove as hard and creatively as possible, that's what a bass guitar is made for, not such horrible simple tabs like for instance Iced Earth's "Dark Saga".
Yes, because the rest of the band wanted to play it I had too play it as well.

It is a bassist's duty to be innovative and rock harder than any other band member!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timedragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by PST 88
Incidentally, one second after that pic loaded, a voice on my tv said "on the other side of that fence, is freedom." i found this little situation to be pretty damn funny.

Last edited by Mardraum : 2007-10-25 at 08:34.

Old 2007-12-22, 12:57
faf_476
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardraum
It is a bassist's duty to be innovative and rock harder than any other band member!

Yes I agree with this, together with the drummer, they can create a very nice unique groove.

Old 2007-12-23, 04:07
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

alot of my best riffs come to me in my sleep

http://hosting01.hotchyx.com/adult-...pad_and_pat.jpg

Old 2007-12-23, 15:34
faf_476
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixsicsix
alot of my best riffs come to me in my sleep

You remind me up off Paul McCartney, like for example he'd compose a lyrics in his dream.

Old 2007-12-27, 23:17
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

paul mccartney is a fool

Old 2007-12-28, 09:26
faf_476
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixsicsix
paul mccartney is a fool

You forgot the root word, more of a fool...
"More"
I agree with you.
But his band really roX!!!, what should I say?

Old 2007-12-28, 20:49
basstendencies
Senior Metalhead

paul mccartney owns. in the words of balki bartokamos "dont be ridiculous".

Old 2007-12-29, 07:23
faf_476
New Blood

What if the Beatles was the first Metal band in the world?

Old 2008-01-04, 06:00
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faf_476
What if the Beatles was the first Metal band in the world?

that doesn't even make sense...
lol