MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Music Theory

Old 2007-07-06, 16:54
CompelledToLacerate
FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

transosing to guitar.

Ok, I'm just gonna try this, and hope someone here can help me because I'm practically pulling hair out of my head.... well, not really, but you get the idea.

I'm re-rearranging the score for a classical song onto guitar pro so it can be play on guitar, bass, etc.

I know that the guitar and bass are in the key of C, so instruments like the flute, baritones, trombones, and tuba are no problem tabbing out. Trumpet is easy to transpose since I've played it before and I know the concert notes for it.

But I'm having trouble with transposing the French horn, which is in the key of F. I need help with this. Anyone who has a better understanding of transposing than I do could really help me.

I read up on the internet for how to do it, but it doesn't sound right when I play guitar pro back. So I'm hoping someone here can help me alot better.

Keep checking for new crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
It's really sad, all those people who don't understand why we shouldn't act like our enemies. The real victory is not only killing and imprisoning the terrorists, but also letting civilized manners override the lust for revenge, once the battle is over.

Old 2007-07-07, 00:10
Unanything
Post-whore

I can't think why there would be a problem. It also seems odd the horn is in a different key.

If it comes in a different section, you need to double bar then select a new key. Although you probably know this...

Puzzled there...

www.garageband.com/tranxnart
www.myspace.com/tranxnart
www.youtube.com/user/Tranxhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while fucking you in the eye. Brutal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadude
I coated the end of a toothpick with Satan's blood and simply wiped it across the top of an omelet. PERFECT!

Old 2007-07-07, 06:31
CompelledToLacerate
FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

No, I'm talking about how an instrument is like a Bb instrument or a C instrument. Like how a guitar is a C instrument and a French Horn is an F instrument. I may have used the wrong wording.

Keep checking for new crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
It's really sad, all those people who don't understand why we shouldn't act like our enemies. The real victory is not only killing and imprisoning the terrorists, but also letting civilized manners override the lust for revenge, once the battle is over.

Old 2007-07-07, 23:58
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

no matter what key the instruments are in, you can still play the notation on paper, theres really nothing to do.
unless you mean like....
if an instrument is in f and you see an F# or Fb(E) then you would just play the F natural.. get it?

http://hosting01.hotchyx.com/adult-...pad_and_pat.jpg

Old 2007-07-08, 15:55
JonR
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompelledToLacerate
Ok, I'm just gonna try this, and hope someone here can help me because I'm practically pulling hair out of my head.... well, not really, but you get the idea.

I'm re-rearranging the score for a classical song onto guitar pro so it can be play on guitar, bass, etc.

I know that the guitar and bass are in the key of C, so instruments like the flute, baritones, trombones, and tuba are no problem tabbing out. Trumpet is easy to transpose since I've played it before and I know the concert notes for it.

But I'm having trouble with transposing the French horn, which is in the key of F. I need help with this. Anyone who has a better understanding of transposing than I do could really help me.
A note written as "C" for French Horn would come out as an F on concert instruments like guitar. (That's what being "in F" means - just as a trumpet "in Bb" makes a concert Bb sound when playing a written C.)

You may also need to bear in mind the octave question - esp if you are transposing a harmonised set of lines, and want them to come out in the right octave.

Here's a list of where the pitch of concert middle C (261 Hz) appears on notation for various instruments:

TREBLE CLEF
Piano (right hand), flute, violin, oboe: ledger line below stave
Guitar: 3rd space up
Trumpet in Bb, soprano sax, clarinet: D below bottom line
Tenor sax in Bb: D on 4th line up
Alto sax in Eb: A on 2nd space up
Baritone sax in Eb: A on ledger line above stave
French Horn: G on 2nd line up (the lowest 5 notes of French Horn are written in bass clef, btw).

BASS CLEF
Piano (left hand): ledger line above stave
Trombone: ditto
Tuba is also in concert, but can't reach middle C .
Bass guitar and double bass can just reach it, but (like guitar) are written an octave above concert, so middle C appears on top of the 4th ledger line up.

To look at it the other way, the note written as middle C (ledger line below treble clef, or above bass clef) for all these instruments will sound as the following concert pitches:

Piano, flute, oboe, violin, trombone: middle C (261 Hz)
Guitar, bass guitar, double bass: C, octave below middle C
Trumpet, soprano sax, clarinet: Bb below middle C
Tenor sax: Bb a 9th below middle C
Alto sax: Eb a minor 6th below middle C
Baritone sax: Eb a minor 13th below middle C
French Horn: F a 5th below middle C.

So, if you had a French Horn note written as a C below the stave (written middle C), you'd play it on guitar as an F on 4th string 3rd fret.
The French Horn has a similar range to guitar, btw. It extends a little lower (down to concert C below guitar's bottom E, written for the horn as a G on bass clef); and not quite as high - top note is concert F (guitar 13th fret top E), written for the horn as C 2 ledger lines above treble clef.

Last edited by JonR : 2007-07-08 at 16:08.

Old 2007-07-10, 05:01
TangledMortalCoil
Senior Metalhead

JonR.. you know wayyy too much shit

Old 2007-07-10, 05:28
robbcorpse
New Blood

Self taught too right?