Old 2007-03-02, 09:50
The Doctor
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

Beneath the Massacre - Mechanics of Dysfunction

Beneath the Massacre - Mechanics of Dysfunction
Prosthetic Records

file under Death metal

Menno: To me, Beneath the Massacre is a story of its own. I have a passion for death metal and this I mean in the most capacious way; from brutal to classic and from melodic to technical. There is only one thing my taste demands; the music has to be made with a true passion for the craft and has to express this. It has to breathe a certain feeling and love for the music and that's just what I'm missing in Beneath the Massacre.

First things first, this shit is brutal as hell. This is achieved by a very solid mix and the heavy vocals by Elliot Desgagnes. The rest of the music (the guitar-riffs) combines the aggressiveness of a band like Suffocation with the hyper nervous character of Dillinger Escape Plan. This provides for compositions which almost can be classified as clinical. No clear structures and hiccup-like riffing give a cacophony of emotionless tones; love it or leave it. Of course the professionalism of this debut record is unquestionable for a band with only one demo in their discography. Other than that I'm kind of curious how the band will present itself and its very complex music on stage with only one guitarist. To come to a conclusion I can assume that 'Mechanics of Dysfunction' gives me mixed feelings; on one hand the professionalism and outrageously complex music, on the other too much of the same and compositions that are way too chaotic. If you love it it's a blind steal, if you're anti-modern it's not.

Rating: 75/100 (details)

http://www.beneaththemassacre.com