MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Bass Zone

Old 2007-02-28, 21:50
7-string warlord
Post-whore

Fretless

I just got an SX 205 fretless five-string bass. It was really cheap but a great bass regardless. I just have two little problems with it. The low B is very quiet and it came with flatwound strings....So
1. Is there a way to make the B louder?
and
2. will roundwound strings fuck up the finger board?

Old 2007-02-28, 22:11
Child of Decadence
Metalhead

From what I understand, Roundwound are no good on a fretless bass.

Old 2007-02-28, 22:15
7-string warlord
Post-whore

Does DR make flatwound?

Fuck why am I being so lazy, I'll look it up!

Old 2007-02-28, 22:18
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

Congrats on the fretless! SX arent the greatest basses, but if its your first fretless then thats all you need to get to grips with it of course..

A way to make the B louder is either lower it nearer to the pickup from the bridge saddles.. or heighten the pickup/s..

Roundwounds wont really fuck up the fingerboard if you use the correct vibrato technique (dont go bending the strings from side to side, that will chew the fingerboard up), flatwounds are the proper strings for a fretless bass if you want your fingerboard to stay in mint condition..

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal=life
Hey don't talk back buddy. Give your dick size or don't post.

Last edited by Tattered : 2007-03-02 at 18:03.

Old 2007-02-28, 22:28
7-string warlord
Post-whore

I'm thinking i'll stick with flatwounds, I'm starting to like them. They just take getting used to. But I LOVE playing fretless basses. I know SX probably wasn't the greatest choice, but going up from a four string bronze warlock bass to a fretless, five string SX is good enough for me.

Old 2007-02-28, 23:48
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7-string warlord
I'm thinking i'll stick with flatwounds, I'm starting to like them. They just take getting used to. But I LOVE playing fretless basses. I know SX probably wasn't the greatest choice, but going up from a four string bronze warlock bass to a fretless, five string SX is good enough for me.

I pity your apparent bass budget.

Maybe a compressor would even out your sound., or just crank the volume of the bridge pickup

http://hosting01.hotchyx.com/adult-...pad_and_pat.jpg

Old 2007-03-01, 01:39
aFarewelltoKings
Senior Metalhead

dude SX basses are actually really good with the right upgrades. But yeah fretless basses are incredibly cool,i dont advise using roundwounds unless the fingerboard is coated or made of ebanol.

Old 2007-03-01, 16:29
Disincarnate
But why is the rum gone ?

dude you can use roundwounds on a fretless and the damage according to Steve DiGiorgio with roundwounds is negligible... and he also uses roundwounds on his fretless

Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely

Quote:
Guitarists are just people who could Never make it as a Bassist

www.riversofgore.com

Join The Forum CUNT

Old 2007-03-01, 17:02
Me himself
Supreme Metalhead

Sick investment bro. Is it just me or does the sound of fretless basses sound strikingly reminiscent of the old skool Sonic level music?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disincarnate
dude you can use roundwounds on a fretless and the damage according to Steve DiGiorgio with roundwounds is negligible... and he also uses roundwounds on his fretless

So they do indeed cause fretboard damage? How bad are we talkin'?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB_ZE_METALLEU
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannibalXampire
Everyone is wrong.

Old 2007-03-01, 22:23
7-string warlord
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixsicsix
I pity your apparent bass budget.

I don't play bass much, just in the school's jazz band and a little in mine because we don't have a bassist, so I don't want to spend a lot on a bass. I'd rather spend money on a guitar or a half stack.

Old 2007-03-02, 11:21
blitz906
Okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattered
Congrats on the fretless! SX arent the greatest basses, but if its your first fretless then thats all you need to get to grips with it of course..

A way to make the B louder is either lower it nearer to the pickup from the bridge saddles.. or heighten the pickup/s..

Roundwounds wont really fuck up the fingerboard if you use the correct vibrato technique (dont go bending the strings from side to side, that will chew the fingerboard up), flatwounds are the proper strings for a fretless bass if you want your finger to stay in mint condition..

Tattered pretty much said it all, but...if you want to use roundwound strings just don't play too rough and it most likely won't shred the fingerboard. After awhile you will notice marks where the strings are, but thats normal wear and tear on a fretless, nothing to worry about. And as for the B string being too quiet...try lowering it closer to the pickup as Tattered mentioned, but not too much or it will be uneven to the rest of the strings. Personally...I think the B string is usually quiet on all 5-string basses, due to such a low frequency and all, but there are ways around that. By the way, is the fingerboard rosewood, maple or ebony?

Good luck, and have fun man fretless opens up a whole new world of bass playing, it's a totally different approach to bass overall...so you'll always have something new to learn and keep you busy. Not to mention that it will improve your skills overall...after a few months, you'll notice a big difference in your playing (for the better).

~Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompelledToLacerate
God, the Japanese are so weird. This HAS to be the long term effects of the atom bombs. No one is that weird on purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomli
The slams in that song always kill me. First time I heard that song I was like "Too much heaviness - brain collapse" but now I could murder my family to that one

Old 2007-03-02, 18:03
Cassius
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by aFarewelltoKings
dude SX basses are actually really good with the right upgrades. But yeah fretless basses are incredibly cool,i dont advise using roundwounds unless the fingerboard is coated or made of ebanol.

Says the man who got an ESP after everyone told him not to.

Old 2007-03-02, 23:04
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

*high five*

Old 2007-03-03, 00:57
blitz906
Okay.

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassius
Says the man who got an ESP after everyone told him not to.

lmao
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompelledToLacerate
God, the Japanese are so weird. This HAS to be the long term effects of the atom bombs. No one is that weird on purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomli
The slams in that song always kill me. First time I heard that song I was like "Too much heaviness - brain collapse" but now I could murder my family to that one

Old 2007-03-06, 00:30
7-string warlord
Post-whore

The fretboard is rosewood

Old 2007-03-06, 22:52
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

rosewood is a pretty soft wood, Go with flatwound just to be on the safe side

Old 2007-04-06, 00:15
aFarewelltoKings
Senior Metalhead