Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Vocal Zone

Old 2007-01-06, 12:27
deathxleprosyx
Senior Metalhead
Banned

ask random vocal questions here

this thread was approved by the doctor
if you have a question about metal vocals post it hear cause there are to many threads ask questions like
1. how can i improve my growl/ scream
2. are my vocals good
3. asking about techniques

reasons for making thread
1. too many threads
2. and too many topics instead of just one thread where questions can be answered

this is just like the question forum in the guitar section

Last edited by deathxleprosyx : 2007-01-06 at 12:35.

Old 2007-01-08, 14:47
powersofterror
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader

This thread has now been "Stuck."
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx

Old 2007-01-08, 21:26
sic
New Blood

I have a problem. Every time I try growling my throat starts hurting a little while after I have stopped. Also I can't seem to get my volume higher than a whisper.

Old 2007-01-08, 21:33
7-string warlord
Post-whore

Practice and build endurance. Stop growling when it starts hurting. You'll get louder in time.

Old 2007-01-09, 06:57
IhateCoF
New Blood

The n00b has a question. I have been growling for about a year and a half, my mids can be compared to that of Dark Tranquility, I can do lows i.e. Job for a Cowboy, and I have gutterals down pat, as well as inhales. Here is the big Q:

You all know the bands Hypocrisy and DragonLord? I cannot seem to get their "high" black metal-ish voice unless I use inhales, but I want to be able to do it normaly. It must be a different technique than straight up growling because I cannot bring my growl any higher than that of the guy from Naglfar. If any of you know the technique to get that Hypocrisy [or typical black metal shriek] let me know. Keep in mind, I am not trying to imitate the singer's voice, just trying to learn their technique. All help is greatly appreciated.

And hey, if you think Hypocrisy and/or Dragonlord are terrible bands to go by or whatnot, tell me some better bands to listen to.

Old 2007-01-10, 00:17
deathxleprosyx
Senior Metalhead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by powersofterror
This thread has now been "Stuck."

thanx man

Old 2007-01-10, 00:20
deathxleprosyx
Senior Metalhead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic
I have a problem. Every time I try growling my throat starts hurting a little while after I have stopped. Also I can't seem to get my volume higher than a whisper.

i started growling this summer i can do it withought it hurting now but then i would sing the chorus to a song i did master of puppets and now i can growl withought pain try that

Old 2007-01-10, 00:41
sic
New Blood

Thanks for the tips.

Old 2007-01-10, 11:21
Christafa
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by IhateCoF
The n00b has a question. I have been growling for about a year and a half, my mids can be compared to that of Dark Tranquility, I can do lows i.e. Job for a Cowboy, and I have gutterals down pat, as well as inhales. Here is the big Q:

You all know the bands Hypocrisy and DragonLord? I cannot seem to get their "high" black metal-ish voice unless I use inhales, but I want to be able to do it normaly. It must be a different technique than straight up growling because I cannot bring my growl any higher than that of the guy from Naglfar. If any of you know the technique to get that Hypocrisy [or typical black metal shriek] let me know. Keep in mind, I am not trying to imitate the singer's voice, just trying to learn their technique. All help is greatly appreciated.

And hey, if you think Hypocrisy and/or Dragonlord are terrible bands to go by or whatnot, tell me some better bands to listen to.

Hey dude. I don't have THE answer mate, but a suggestion. Do you sing? If so, do you know about resonance spaces in the body? For example, low notes resonate in the chest, while high notes in the head (this is called the head voice). If you can find the similarities with singing low notes to low growling stuff, then try to applying a head voice to growls. I really dunno if this would work, but it might! A good way to know if you have a working head voice is if you can sing above the high e string on a guitar without any struggle and your voice doesn't sound like you're yelling. Try that mate.

Old 2007-01-15, 21:37
Rallister
New Blood

Pig squeal, technique wud be good!?

'reet reet!'

Old 2007-01-16, 19:09
Requiem
Post-whore

I need help with my black metal singing. I can do the screams but I can't seem to actually say words, while attempting to sing.

Old 2007-01-16, 21:30
JAMF
Senior Metalhead

Good idea for a thread.

Requiem all I can advise is to try singing along to black metal and just control the scream more so you can form words.

If anyone wants to criticise my vocals then please go to www.myspace.com/visceralblastband and listen to the track Exstinguishing the Flame. The other songs vocals were either experimental or not serious so only critiques on Exstinguishing would be appreciated.

Old 2007-01-17, 01:57
Requiem
Post-whore

Not bad at all man. Are you ever going to put a demo out? I might be interested.

Old 2007-01-23, 09:35
JAMF
Senior Metalhead

When I started out, I practiced low death metal gutterals at a pretty loud volume along with music until I figured out the basic technique. I can now do them at a more comfortable volume.

Would this be the case with black metal vocals. As in, If I practice them at a louder volume, could I then acheive the same tone as with when loud. I ask because death metal vocalists can get away with sounding quieter wheras black metal vocalists sound like they're really screaming their guts out.

Also does excersize help with all vocal performance?

Old 2007-02-04, 17:13
HAMMERSMASHEDFACE
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMF
Good idea for a thread.

Requiem all I can advise is to try singing along to black metal and just control the scream more so you can form words.

If anyone wants to criticise my vocals then please go to www.myspace.com/visceralblastband and listen to the track Exstinguishing the Flame. The other songs vocals were either experimental or not serious so only critiques on Exstinguishing would be appreciated.

cool man just turn it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity
He's calling you a faggot piece of shit because you are young and unintelligent, and most of all, you are a boring, stereotyopical, close minded metal head. Please don't pretend to understand anything PST says. Please leave the forum now.

Old 2007-02-06, 11:47
Intrepid
New Blood

I only do growls and screams, and I can only hold those for 5 or 6 seconds.
I scream using the top of my throat and growl using the lower part. According to Mellisa fucking Cross, this is wrong, yet she wont elaberate on how to actually scream. My throat is sore after I only scream for a song or so (I don't scream for a band, so no rush on building endurance.). I know some of you say "Oh, just build endurence through singing, stopping, drinking water etc. then do it again the next day.".

I heard there is a way to scream other then this that does not hurt at all. I hear Mellisa Cross talk about false cords, but I never heard her say how to actually use them.

Is there soemthing on her DVD I'm missing? Could someone elaberate?

Thanks for any help.

Old 2007-02-06, 19:36
HAMMERSMASHEDFACE
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid
I only do growls and screams, and I can only hold those for 5 or 6 seconds.
I scream using the top of my throat and growl using the lower part. According to Mellisa fucking Cross, this is wrong, yet she wont elaberate on how to actually scream. My throat is sore after I only scream for a song or so (I don't scream for a band, so no rush on building endurance.). I know some of you say "Oh, just build endurence through singing, stopping, drinking water etc. then do it again the next day.".

I heard there is a way to scream other then this that does not hurt at all. I hear Mellisa Cross talk about false cords, but I never heard her say how to actually use them.

Is there soemthing on her DVD I'm missing? Could someone elaberate?

Thanks for any help.

for growls you just have to build endurance by practicing man and once you can growl for a long period of time start trying to make it sound better by experimenting with your voice you will never know how good you sound until you record your self growling/screaming you can always improve and if you have some awesomoe shit like you sound dont change the way you sing to add variety either man dont smoke dude that is what most people think happend to chris barnes (ex-cannibal corpse and current Torture Killer and Six feet under singer) wich made him sound bad to some people. Hope this helps.

- HAMMERSMASHEDFACE

Quote:
He's calling you a faggot piece of shit because you are young and unintelligent, and most of all, you are a boring, stereotyopical, close minded metal head. Please don't pretend to understand anything PST says. Please leave the forum now.

Old 2007-02-08, 02:49
CompelledToLacerate
FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

This thread looks like the best place to post this, so I'll give it a shot.

I've been thinking in the back of my head to try and learn to do death growling, or at least try to get a decent enough growl that I can improve upon over time.

I have abso-fucking-lutely no vocal experience, I can't even hum a steady note. But I really think something like this would be very useful in my pursuit to play music, and while I don't see myself singing in a barbershop quartet, I could see myself doing vocals years into the future.

So where do I start? Give me all the basics. Tips, hints, clues, etc. If it isn't too much trouble, any audio stuff you have would help me alot; monkey see (or hear), monkey do.

Keep checking for new crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
It's really sad, all those people who don't understand why we shouldn't act like our enemies. The real victory is not only killing and imprisoning the terrorists, but also letting civilized manners override the lust for revenge, once the battle is over.

Old 2007-02-09, 20:36
HAMMERSMASHEDFACE
Senior Metalhead

i can growl but i need help trying growl faster

Quote:

Old 2007-03-07, 20:12
ZRO
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMMERSMASHEDFACE
i can growl but i need help trying growl faster

Well.....

Growl faster!

Anyway...

Anyone else have this happen?

After about 1wk+ if you dont do any vocals(incl clean) your growl/screams arent as good as they were? I dunno, i havent been doing anything and my vocals arent as good. I need to get back to singing clean at least.

Old 2007-03-07, 21:28
F1R3W0LF
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRO
Well.....

Growl faster!

Anyway...

After about 1wk+ if you dont do any vocals(incl clean) your growl/screams arent as good as they were? I dunno, i havent been doing anything and my vocals arent as good. I need to get back to singing clean at least.

Why would you stop singing/screaming for a week+? I would just reccomend to keep doing it again, and try to get as little time between practice as possible.

Old 2007-03-08, 02:03
ZRO
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1R3W0LF
Why would you stop singing/screaming for a week+? I would just reccomend to keep doing it again, and try to get as little time between practice as possible.

Ehh, ive been busy.

And i cant always growl, my mother starts bitching, i can clean sing all i want though.

EDIT-Wait do you mean wait another week?

Old 2007-03-08, 20:30
HAMMERSMASHEDFACE
Senior Metalhead

dude how small is your house that your mom can hear you in yur room

Quote:

Old 2007-03-08, 21:53
ZRO
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
dude how small is your house that your mom can hear you in yur room

Im a ghetto whiteboy from the projects.

Hahahaha. The doors and walls are thin.

Old 2007-03-08, 22:27
HAMMERSMASHEDFACE
Senior Metalhead

thin walls suk

Quote:

Old 2007-03-09, 00:05
ZRO
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
thin walls suk

Yeah, they're cool when you punch them though.

Old 2007-03-09, 20:56
shadowless monk
New Blood

What type of screaming would Dir en Grey - Agitated Screams of Maggots, be considered? Sorry for such a lame question...

Old 2007-03-10, 00:17
F1R3W0LF
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowless monk
What type of screaming would Dir en Grey - Agitated Screams of Maggots, be considered? Sorry for such a lame question...

I would consider it just yelling with pitch, but there's other things other people would call it.

Old 2007-03-10, 03:14
shadowless monk
New Blood

Okay, thanks. So would it pretty much just be yelling with a tightened throat?

Old 2007-03-10, 04:11
F1R3W0LF
New Blood

Yeah, basically. Add some higher pitch to it, and there you have it.

Old 2007-03-10, 04:37
shadowless monk
New Blood

Indeed, this sounds much better than what I was trying to do. Thanks man.

Old 2007-03-16, 22:48
killerrobotsharks
New Blood

Hello, everyone! I've been training with different styles of metal vocals for my grind band. I was wondering if anyone had an idea of what kind of technique Fox from see you next tuesday uses for his high pitched shrieks? I can mimic his vocal style using inwards but after seeing the band live I think he's actually screaming. If anyone needs an example, http://www.myspace.com/seeyounexttuesday

I'm not sure I'll be using that styling but how can you achieve a dynamic vocal range by practicing one thing?

And this recording was a joke, so I guess excuse the horrible quality it was made in about 5 minutes all completely random, hell I didn't even use words, just inward gibberish. http://www.myspace.com/killerrobotsharks . We have all the instruments recorded for our real songs, the only thing stopping me from finishing them is I wanna keep training my voice.

any input would be much appreciated thanks!

Last edited by killerrobotsharks : 2007-03-17 at 00:25.

Old 2007-03-17, 01:04
HAMMERSMASHEDFACE
Senior Metalhead

you sound like you use effects on your vocals do u

Quote:

Old 2007-03-17, 02:01
killerrobotsharks
New Blood

Nah. It was just me eating a SM57 beta. It is double tracked if thats what you're hearing. I didn't use a pop screen or any set distance from the mic, we were just fucking around.

Last edited by killerrobotsharks : 2007-03-17 at 02:04.

Old 2007-03-17, 20:45
Cadaver Mutilator
New Blood

Anyone know the scream technique that Chris Barnes used in Tomb of The Mutilated? The screams in Post Mortal Ejaculation where too sick.

Old 2007-03-21, 00:05
HAMMERSMASHEDFACE
Senior Metalhead

if you know how to do both death and black metal vocals cc vocals will be much easier

Quote:

Old 2007-03-22, 16:07
SolothurN
Senior Metalhead

a question: a vocal like Kataklysm (main one) or Hate is more like a gutteral backgrounded with your normal voice or a normal voice scream backgrounded with your voicebox vibrations (growl)? You know what i mean ??

Old 2007-03-26, 19:37
Requiem
Post-whore

I want to do black metal vocals!!!!

But all I can do is guttural vocals. Any advice?

Old 2007-03-26, 19:48
HAMMERSMASHEDFACE
Senior Metalhead

for the bm vocals all you have to do is widden your neck oopen your mouth wide and go ehhhh or you could make fun of maniacs vocals on european legoins(that is how i learned I was making fun of his vocals cause i didn't appreciate bm so i was singing master of puppets like that good stuff)

Quote:

Old 2007-04-03, 19:26
Requiem
Post-whore

I'm not trying to be rude but that didn't help me one bit.

Old 2007-04-03, 19:38
HAMMERSMASHEDFACE
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem

how to do it is hard to explain man

Quote:

Old 2007-04-04, 02:24
DBSE
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem

Something I've noticed with BM vocals is they never sound aggressive. They sound soft as hell.

Old 2007-04-04, 02:43
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

wow

Old 2007-04-05, 02:51
DBSE
New Blood

Alright maybe it's just me but they don't sound aggressive. My opinion, just not really my style.

Old 2007-04-08, 22:33
ZRO
Senior Metalhead

wow

Old 2007-04-23, 06:37
Purge
New Blood

Help?

Ok, ive been growling for a few weeks now, and dont so much have a problem with my throat, but I am unsure as to how to continue from now on. My band is looking to improve upon my growling, i have recorded a song or 2, no bass line, or drums, just lead guitar and vocals. If i can figure out how to post it/share, i will.

Ive heard people say, growl from the diaphragm, but how do you do this, ive tried myself, just tried to will my diaphragm to force it out, but it aint happenin.

Any help is appreciated.

Old 2007-05-02, 04:56
- EXILE -
Metalhead

Well say your little brother just keyed the side of your car and you go 'FUCK OFF YOU LITTLE PRICK!" thats using your diaphragm. Just belt it out and go as low as you can while keeping your throat nice and relaxed so you dont tear it up.

Old 2007-05-15, 23:50
ilya GRINDCORE
New Blood

Hey i was just wondering about low growls and high screams..i have read many threads on this subject and they talk about closeing the throat yada ect...but the problem is im unsure how exactly work with it..like i dont understand how do work my throat closed or open, like how to exactly close it if you know what i mean..any advice would be great? i may sound like a jackass haha but please if someone can help me it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 2007-05-24, 21:48
jeffeg
New Blood

Hey, this is big! I found this website: www.melissacross.com, she's worked with a bunch of metal vocalists like All That Remains, Cradle of Filth, Lamb of God, so on so forth, and has some AMAZING tips on how to maintain your vocals. I've bought both DVDs and they are amazing!!!

However, I do have a question that maybe you guys could help me with that I didnt find in the dvds...

At some points I can scream really well, and sound kind of similar to Phil from All That Remains. However, at other points, the back of my throat doesn't seem to have the "mucus" there and I can't get the scream out without just sounding all scratchy and weak. I'll try to scream a couple songs to try to warm up, but it really doesn't help. Then it starts to feel dry and scratchy and I can't scream at all without choking. Any ideas what's going on?

Old 2007-05-24, 21:57
ZRO
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffeg
Hey, this is big! I found this website: www.melissacross.com, she's worked with a bunch of metal vocalists like All That Remains, Cradle of Filth, Lamb of God, so on so forth, and has some AMAZING tips on how to maintain your vocals. I've bought both DVDs and they are amazing!!!

However, I do have a question that maybe you guys could help me with that I didnt find in the dvds...

At some points I can scream really well, and sound kind of similar to Phil from All That Remains. However, at other points, the back of my throat doesn't seem to have the "mucus" there and I can't get the scream out without just sounding all scratchy and weak. I'll try to scream a couple songs to try to warm up, but it really doesn't help. Then it starts to feel dry and scratchy and I can't scream at all without choking. Any ideas what's going on?

Wow strong spam!

Old 2007-05-24, 22:14
jeffeg
New Blood

Not spam, im just hardcore enthusiastic, she fixed a lot of problems I had =/

Not sure if I take that as an insult or not..., that question i asked was serious

Last edited by jeffeg : 2007-05-24 at 22:22.

Old 2007-05-24, 22:28
ZRO
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Not spam, im just hardcore enthusiastic, she fixed a lot of problems I had =/

Not sure if I take that as an insult or not..., that question i asked was serious

Oh i sea that youre a real person.

People who advertise in their very first post are instant suspects of spamming. Sorry!

Old 2007-05-24, 22:43
jeffeg
New Blood

Heheh, it's ok. But seriously, those DVDs are really good.

Anyways, does anyone have any ideas what could be happening with my throat?

Old 2007-05-29, 00:20
ZRO
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Heheh, it's ok. But seriously, those DVDs are really good.

Anyways, does anyone have any ideas what could be happening with my throat?

You might be doing the mucus push which is tightening up the throat and pushing your mucus to make a sound. Thats wrong technique. To scream Metalcore style you have to yell and then modify it. For lows you pucker up and if you want touch the roof of your mouth with your toungue. Im still lost on highs though.

Open the throat and push hard, like you would push a fart(LOL)

Old 2007-06-19, 21:54
powersofterror
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader

I've been "practicing" growls and screams for some years and I never once thought about the mucus in the back of my throat. Thinking about it now, it seems to me that every time I growl the musus is cleared (I use 2 growl techniques - yelling from the gut, and "roaring" from the throat/gut), and the same for screaming.
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx

Last edited by powersofterror : 2007-06-19 at 21:59.

Old 2007-07-07, 21:34
lilpsycho41591
New Blood

same thing happens to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRO
Well.....

Growl faster!

Anyway...

Old 2007-08-06, 19:28
mbdpttn
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMF
Good idea for a thread.

i'm sorry but, that is the worst growl i've ever heard. you have the basics, but you DONT have any range. you sound like a mouse.

btw.. whats up with that lame drum computer man?

sigh..

Old 2007-08-07, 03:35
SuspendedByTheThroat
Senior Metalhead

I know what will fix all of your problems.

use your diaphragm, and i've explained how to use it a million times.

scream like you're pissed.

damn.

Old 2007-08-07, 13:09
Unanything
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by - EXILE -
Well say your little brother just keyed the side of your car and you go 'FUCK OFF YOU LITTLE PRICK!" thats using your diaphragm. Just belt it out and go as low as you can while keeping your throat nice and relaxed so you dont tear it up.

Yeah, I did something similar when the dog wouldn't quit barking. It was the most natural-feeling thing ever to emerge from my airways.

www.garageband.com/tranxnart
www.myspace.com/tranxnart
www.youtube.com/user/Tranxhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while fucking you in the eye. Brutal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadude
I coated the end of a toothpick with Satan's blood and simply wiped it across the top of an omelet. PERFECT!

Old 2007-08-08, 21:01
SuspendedByTheThroat
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unanything

Yeah, I did something similar when the dog wouldn't quit barking. It was the most natural-feeling thing ever to emerge from my airways.

my friend was yelling at my dog and I could have swore he had the most angry voice ever, he even topped hatebreed.

if only he could do it all the time

Old 2007-08-09, 17:46
Unanything
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuspendedByTheThroat
my friend was yelling at my dog and I could have swore he had the most angry voice ever, he even topped hatebreed.

if only he could do it all the time

Hatebreed is just shouty. I heard more anger than that. But yeah, I get you.

www.garageband.com/tranxnart
www.myspace.com/tranxnart
www.youtube.com/user/Tranxhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while fucking you in the eye. Brutal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadude
I coated the end of a toothpick with Satan's blood and simply wiped it across the top of an omelet. PERFECT!

Old 2007-08-12, 18:47
SuspendedByTheThroat
Senior Metalhead

alot of people don't like hatebreed, but in my oppinion I love how angry thier vocallist sounds.

Old 2007-11-18, 06:01
tidsy
New Blood

yea im doin this sorta scream like jackhammer from 8 foot sativa (listen to the song before your suffering by 8 foot sativa, thats a good example)
its like a real high sorta sound with sum low parts. i been goin along to it for a while nw but i find dat wenever i do the high part too much or do a long high scream my throat starts to tickle and feel sore, gets flemmy etc. how can i stop this happening and also how can i improve the volume so i culd sound gud on a mic?

Old 2007-11-28, 00:42
shadowless monk
New Blood

You are most likely straining your vocal cords. I tend to drink tea when I feel any discomfort (which you shouldn't be feeling too much of in the first place.) Warm tea will help clear your throat and of flame and relieve some of the discomfort.
When singing in a mic, you really don't need to make your volume any louder unless you don't have a decent volume on your growl already. Mics are there to make you sound louder. You don't have to sound louder to sing into them.

Oh, i also have a question for you guys. What would you recommend learning to get close to the sound of the reallly,extremely high screams in some parts of this song like the end of the first verse??

Old 2007-12-03, 02:17
ash2490
New Blood

I've got a question.

In the song "The Secrets of the Black Arts" by Dark Funeral, there are the standard black metal vocals, but there are also these lower, growl-type vocals. They don't really sound like death growls though. I've heard this in other black metal songs, but I think "Secrets" is the best example.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cf...iendID=11713147

Listen to the first vocals in the song. The low "WHOAAAAAAA" sound.

Does anybody know how to do those?

Old 2007-12-05, 16:51
SuspendedByTheThroat
Senior Metalhead

those are gutturals, very airy lows that are created from a completely open throat and using the diaphragm to push air through the open throat, creating a resonance, and then through the mouth, which is best to keep a more closed O-shaped mouth and carve the words into the gutturals with tongue and mouth placement.

where as growls actually use the throat closed to some extent.

Old 2007-12-06, 01:39
shadowless monk
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowless monk
You are most likely straining your vocal cords. I tend to drink tea when I feel any discomfort (which you shouldn't be feeling too much of in the first place.) Warm tea will help clear your throat and of flame and relieve some of the discomfort.
When singing in a mic, you really don't need to make your volume any louder unless you don't have a decent volume on your growl already. Mics are there to make you sound louder. You don't have to sound louder to sing into them.

Oh, i also have a question for you guys. What would you recommend learning to get close to the sound of the reallly,extremely high screams in some parts of this song like the end of the first verse??

I totally forgot to link the song i was speaking of.
here it is:
http://www.esnips.com/doc/94e3c4a0-...en-Grey---Grief

Old 2008-02-14, 18:05
JaimeVendera
New Blood

I have several free lessons on technique and screaming at www.thevoiceconnection.com and raiseyourvoicebook.com

Old 2008-04-29, 21:31
Giorgi
New Blood

Hey guys.

I know that this band is not really metal and blah blah blah, but I wonder what type of screaming the guy (the drummer) is using in this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo62OJat1k8

SCROLL --> 00:26 secs

So I really like that sound and wonder what type of screaming it is. Thanks

Old 2008-05-03, 15:13
SuspendedByTheThroat
Senior Metalhead

that's just screaming
technique used in "screamo" and "hardcore"
however hardcore is usually more manly and screamo is usually more girly sounding
he has more of a middle bareing.
similar to silverstein.

Old 2008-05-03, 19:24
Giorgi
New Blood

Thanks man been expecting an answer for a few days

Old 2008-07-02, 08:36
Ingemar vetle
New Blood

Hello! I've been practising screaming vocals for about six months now and i am currently in a band. check out www.myspace.com/redemptionfails anny feedback would be nice. I know the vocals on "Blind" arent that good, and ive gotten abit better since those recordings. Would realy like som tips or whatever on how to improve myself thanks!

Old 2008-07-02, 13:01
Transient
HES BAAACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giorgi
Hey guys.

I know that this band is not really metal and blah blah blah, but I wonder what type of screaming the guy (the drummer) is using in this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo62OJat1k8

SCROLL --> 00:26 secs

So I really like that sound and wonder what type of screaming it is. Thanks

NO.

Old 2008-07-19, 17:41
David Lee Goth
New Blood

help also

Yea my vox have been sore anyone have a technique to help? TY

Old 2008-07-20, 19:11
fiery(arm)pits
New Blood

David Lee Goth, are you a new growler? because if it hurts then you're probably putting too much force out. don't do that. if it sounds too quiet then don't worry, you'll get louder over time. and now my question: i have trouble with the high-pitched growls. when i do them, my voice sounds awkward but when i listen to high pitched growls by some bands, it sounds very clear. how do i get that sound?

Old 2008-07-27, 16:55
SuspendedByTheThroat
Senior Metalhead

are you going for high-growls or evil-highs?

Old 2008-07-28, 02:42
fiery(arm)pits
New Blood

just high growls. i'm not really into the black metal scene. i want to use it in my death metal songs. my high pitched growl sounds kind of stressed and isn't very clear.

Old 2008-07-28, 02:43
David Lee Goth
New Blood

" Per Bristow's - Bristow Voice Method "

"Has anyone done Per Bristow's program? I saw this video
http://www.bristowvoicemethod.com/h...high-notes.html
Seems pretty interesting. Any opinions?"

Thanks

Old 2009-04-13, 18:44
JAKEjurasSICK™
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by IhateCoF

:....I GOT YOUR ANSWER.....FIRST OF ALL...INHALE AND BLACKMETAL DONT MIX...TRY COPYING GOLLUM FROM LORD OF THE RINGS AND THEN ADD SORT OF A HIGH PITCHED DEMONIC SENSE TO IT

Old 2009-04-15, 18:44
UncertainFear

Interestingly Awesome Forum...

Sitting here at work, happened to find this website and wow.. It's quite helpful! I'm a fairly new vocalist.. I have been practicing singing for quite a while now though and am actually working with a band. Personally I feel I have something worth working with as far as my voice goes so I am here looking to get some feedback, questions answered, and a little guidance.

As other vocalists, I'm looking to not hurt myself while doing the growling/screaming. Luckily for me it seems I only get a slight ache in my throat after doing the vocals for an extremely long time. As per all the advice here on that topic, I do stop when it hurts and take a short term of vocal rest until it feels better.

I warm up before I start, I warm 'down' after I am finished.. I am working hard to improve upon what I already have. The main problems I "think" I am having revolves around proper air flow and diaphragm technique. I have gone over this stuff a thousand times but it doesn't seem to be sticking with me for some reason! -Sigh-

Now I have been posting my progress from day one up until now on a youtube channel. It's:

http://www.youtube.com/user/UncertainFear

And any constructive comments are very much so appreciated. I feel like I have come quite a long way from the first video I posted.. So try not to be too needlessly harsh

What I am looking to learn is the deep "wind tunnel" type sound you hear with bands such as Straight Line Stitch. I -really- enjoy her sound,.. Actually I just really love hearing the airy style growls/screams. Something about them is just awesome to me! Anyway.. The song I am talking about mainly with that band is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRrfLMOGMrM

The airy sound I am looking for is at around 1:05 when she starts saying "with blood on your hands you are unclean". I also would like any tips on getting her higher/scratchy sounding screams in the video Remission:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsXK1w0Yrm4

Another example of the deep airy sound would be here on their video Remission too near the very end at about 4:18 on to the end of the song. I just LOVE the fact that it sounds like a damn tornado coming out of her mouth lol. I would really like to hear some techniques and ideas on how to create and sustain such an amazing sound. Practice tips and ideas would be great too!

So yeah.. I know this is a long post but I guess I had a lot to say/ask. Again, any constructive advice, tips, comments would be MOST appreciated. I've put a lot of time into this.. Hard work doesn't scare me, I'm willing to do whatever it takes to learn these techniques. Just looking for a little helpful guidance.. Thanks guys.

Old 2009-06-08, 19:44
Absurd, The
New Blood

Question:
I want to sing like the guy from Crossfade.
I DO NOT like Crossfade's style of music or their lyrics, but I love his voice.
I have his range and his clarity, but I just don't have his endurance.

I can hit some pretty high notes and keep them steady and solid sounding, but after a few verses i start to crack and I have to stop for a few minutes.

Are the fabled breathing exercises what I should be doing, or is it something to do with my vocal cord muscles themselves?

My DnB/Breaks/IDM music

Old 2009-06-08, 21:53
L,B'XXX
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

Definitely. I checked out the sound on youtube since I'm not familiar with the band. Yes, make sure you're warming up your voice with scales before you start and save the strong parts for where you truly need strength. Also make sure you're breathing right so you're not straining. That will cause your voice to crack or you'll run out of air. Also make sure you stay hydrated, but stay away from the milk products a couple hours before you sing. They can keep you from having the range you really want. The guy does sound good. Hope that helps a little bit at least.
Btw, if you happen to have asthma, allergies, or other breathing problems I was looking at a bunch today that I googled. Check some of those links out.

-wally: Mom, you shouldn't play after me because it makes you sound even worse than you already do. -wally:*grumbles and whispers quietly* I guess it's cuz I love you or something, but you're still a TURD
Grimm:I could read your mind but its in font size .5
Amadeus:Oh, and was there a cesserole (never mind spelling) involved?
Paddy:the fact that you didn't end up on a kids show makes me question my atheism
Dyldo: You evil strumpet!

Old 2009-06-09, 03:46
Absurd, The
New Blood

Thanks, I've also learned as far as staying hydrated, it's better to drink warm or hot [but not like OMGWTFUCK hot] fluids; cold water can cause your throat muscles to tense up, limiting your range and causing a cramp [just like it's harder to play keys or guitar with cold fingers]

I'm also a pretty scrawny dude, so perhaps my lung capacity is a little lacking and I just can't breathe for as long as he can

My DnB/Breaks/IDM music

Old 2009-06-09, 17:47
L,B'XXX
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

Well, you don't have to look like a plump opera star to get a good sound. Practice and take care of your voice. Get a few lessons if your wallet permits.

-wally: Mom, you shouldn't play after me because it makes you sound even worse than you already do. -wally:*grumbles and whispers quietly* I guess it's cuz I love you or something, but you're still a TURD
Grimm:I could read your mind but its in font size .5
Amadeus:Oh, and was there a cesserole (never mind spelling) involved?
Paddy:the fact that you didn't end up on a kids show makes me question my atheism
Dyldo: You evil strumpet!

Old 2013-05-24, 20:45
Yescupon
New Blood
Banned

I always had a problem with my voice when i go on high notes. when i try to reduce i screw it up. any suggestion.

Old 2014-07-09, 06:42
mnasus
New Blood

how can i start my vocal carier ?