MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Drums Zone

Old 2007-01-03, 01:23
HermanRi!
Post-whore

Drumming Difficulty Question

Hey, i have been thinking about taking up the drums, so naturally i have been browsing youtube lately looking at drumming videos. When i was browsing, i came across this video on youtube, and it impressed the fuck outta me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdihns10EMk

It looks really hard yet fucking awesome. But then a thought occured to me, the van halen erruption guitar tapping bit sounds hard (to some noobs) but its fucking easy to play, so does that apply to this song in terms of drumming? (because im a drumming noob).

So my questions are:

1) how hard is it to play this song?
2) how many years will it take to get to that standard?
3) how many hours of practice per day will you have to put in?

please take my questions seriously, i know you will not like this music, but please look past that and just evaluate the drumming. ino its not up to death metal standard, but still, i think its cool.

cheers
i hope you can help me out
thanks
User01

Old 2007-01-03, 09:12
problematic
Post-whore
Banned

Christ, you really have no shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad (in FAQ)
Q: Why don't you have tabs for bands like Korn, Limp Bizkit, Papa Roach, etc?
A: Nu-metal is out of my musical interests, that's why I don't have any nu-metal tabs here.

This definantly should extend to the forum.

Anyway, shit. This is a simple question. Ok. His arms aren't playing too fast. Feet are fast at one point but not unachievable by a noob (unless you're CTL). Some use of polyrythm but nothing intense. I reckon it would take about a year of drumming to get this down. And I'm not even a drummer and I bet this is mostly correct.

Old 2007-01-03, 15:46
low-tech
Post-whore

there is no polyrythym in that, that would include different counts between limbs.

the 16th note fills is gonna take alot of work, that kid has great handspeed. handspeed like that is not simply to be achieved, one has to constantly work on it, constantly drill single strokes and maintain it.

the double kick as well, for people who are only human and arent intuitively gifted, itll take a few years for foot control and its a constant work in progress. i myself have alot of problems with the double.........im not good at it...or as good as i want to be.

the beats themselves are midtempo, not that hard in terms of drumming,no odd counts, no rudiments, but not easy by any means.

this all depends on how eager you are to learn and how predisposed to rythym you are, some people have bad intuition on tempos and timekeeping and for drumming this will be a continuous source of correcting and learning<i still have tempo trouble after 14 years>.

so my advice is to listen to the radio, any genre it doesnt matter, forget that song for at least a little while. play along with the drums to easier rock music, work your way up to that.

practice time depends on how bad you want it, just either get lessons or buy books on technique,sticking,double kick,theory etc. to ensure that you are learning correctly.

go to drummerworld.com, there are tons of technique related discussions,excellent posters who are pros and teachers,graduates of music schools, tons of video hosted and demonstrations.

good luck.

Old 2007-01-03, 16:46
HermanRi!
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by low-tech
there is no polyrythym in that, that would include different counts between limbs.

the 16th note fills is gonna take alot of work, that kid has great handspeed. handspeed like that is not simply to be achieved, one has to constantly work on it, constantly drill single strokes and maintain it.

the double kick as well, for people who are only human and arent intuitively gifted, itll take a few years for foot control and its a constant work in progress. i myself have alot of problems with the double.........im not good at it...or as good as i want to be.

the beats themselves are midtempo, not that hard in terms of drumming,no odd counts, no rudiments, but not easy by any means.

this all depends on how eager you are to learn and how predisposed to rythym you are, some people have bad intuition on tempos and timekeeping and for drumming this will be a continuous source of correcting and learning<i still have tempo trouble after 14 years>.

so my advice is to listen to the radio, any genre it doesnt matter, forget that song for at least a little while. play along with the drums to easier rock music, work your way up to that.

practice time depends on how bad you want it, just either get lessons or buy books on technique,sticking,double kick,theory etc. to ensure that you are learning correctly.

go to drummerworld.com, there are tons of technique related discussions,excellent posters who are pros and teachers,graduates of music schools, tons of video hosted and demonstrations.

good luck.

thanks alot for all the advice and for taking my questions seriously. i know you probably hate slipknot with a passion, but im glad you could look past that and give me a great and extensive reply
thanks again.

Old 2007-01-04, 02:06
CompelledToLacerate
FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

That song is one of their ok ones in my opinion. I could probably do all the drumming except the double bass within a month or 2's practice. I'd never be able to get the double bass hitting down for about.... well, I've been drumming for 5 years, 4 of those years where I've practiced double bass.

I'd say it's a pretty intermediate song. Nothing extremely difficult. It just has little obstacles that need overcoming.

This, however, I think is amazing.

Keep checking for new crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
It's really sad, all those people who don't understand why we shouldn't act like our enemies. The real victory is not only killing and imprisoning the terrorists, but also letting civilized manners override the lust for revenge, once the battle is over.

Old 2007-01-04, 02:25
HermanRi!
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompelledToLacerate
That song is one of their ok ones in my opinion. I could probably do all the drumming except the double bass within a month or 2's practice. I'd never be able to get the double bass hitting down for about.... well, I've been drumming for 5 years, 4 of those years where I've practiced double bass.

I'd say it's a pretty intermediate song. Nothing extremely difficult. It just has little obstacles that need overcoming.

This, however, I think is amazing.

damn, i would never be able to play that!
btw, (going off topic) judging by your name, i take it your a cannibal corpse fan. so what do you think about the popular opinion that their drummer is pretty boring and monotonous? do you share that opinion or do you think otherwise?

i dont know anything about drumming, so i myself cant say.