MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Drums Zone

Old 2006-12-07, 19:56
Clarissa
New Blood

Metal fills tips

Any tips for playing long metal fills? I've just been running out of ideas for my fills.

Old 2006-12-15, 20:03
The Execrator
Noob lud

Work on your speed. The faster you can roll around your snare and toms the better your rolls will sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Please excuse me for I currently have a terminal erection, and the only cure is midget-cunny.

Old 2006-12-17, 19:24
drawn&quartered
Too _____, wouldn't fuck

speed
china cymbals
ride bells/bells/splashes

those sound pretty cool to me.

Old 2006-12-18, 00:41
Drummer5320
New Blood

speed isn't necessarily all you need to make a good metal fill, it's good if it fits the song, but work around with different sub-divisions and sticking patterns, and just get comfortable with moving around your kit. use your feet too, do 16ths alternating between hands and feet or something like that

Old 2006-12-19, 03:07
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

I'm tired of fast and plain fills. The secret is rudiments, distributed around the kit in an interesting way. Fuck your single stroke rolls!

Old 2006-12-19, 16:08
drawn&quartered
Too _____, wouldn't fuck

rudiments are really boring without speed though

NEGROGENESIS

Old 2006-12-19, 19:01
The Execrator
Noob lud

That's not what I was saying....

The faster you can move around your toms, the more comfortable you are with moving around your toms which will help you add some creativity. Single strokes all the way, fuck rudiments in metal drumming. Speed is pretty important in metal, you don't often hear metal drummers doing 4th note rolls or whatever at 200bpm.

I don't mean that for all drumming styles, but this is indeed MetalTabs. Not Jazz or Rock tabs. Unless you state that you're not playing metal i'm going to assume you are. That being said, single strokes are the best thing for metal.

Try to switch between using your bass drums and toms during a roll. You can create some cool patterns doing that.

Quote:
Please excuse me for I currently have a terminal erection, and the only cure is midget-cunny.

Last edited by The Execrator : 2006-12-19 at 19:04.

Old 2006-12-19, 22:49
CompelledToLacerate
FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenCrimson
I'm tired of fast and plain fills. The secret is rudiments, distributed around the kit in an interesting way. Fuck your single stroke rolls!

Just what I was thinking. I should be applying the concept of rudiments to my kit more than I am now.

There's really no formula to making fills. Just experiment. A good thing I used to do is just do a simple 4/4 beat, and improvise a few fills every couple measures, using everything around you; toms, bass drum, snare, but also your cymbals and any auxillary percussion you have (Tambourine, woodblock, MORE FUCKING COWBELL!!!!), maybe the rims of your drums (mmm, rimming). Hundreds of possibilities.

Keep checking for new crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
It's really sad, all those people who don't understand why we shouldn't act like our enemies. The real victory is not only killing and imprisoning the terrorists, but also letting civilized manners override the lust for revenge, once the battle is over.

Old 2006-12-20, 14:44
drawn&quartered
Too _____, wouldn't fuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompelledToLacerate
Just what I was thinking. I should be applying the concept of rudiments to my kit more than I am now.

There's really no formula to making fills. Just experiment. A good thing I used to do is just do a simple 4/4 beat, and improvise a few fills every couple measures, using everything around you; toms, bass drum, snare, but also your cymbals and any auxillary percussion you have (Tambourine, woodblock, MORE FUCKING COWBELL!!!!), maybe the rims of your drums (mmm, rimming). Hundreds of possibilities.

hitting the rim makes you look sloppy, and most of the time you cant hear it

NEGROGENESIS

Old 2006-12-20, 15:59
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

Umm, it dosent make you look sloppy if you are TRYING to do it, plus if your drums are mic'ed you will hear it fine.
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut

Old 2006-12-20, 18:41
drawn&quartered
Too _____, wouldn't fuck

rimshots i can understand, but I've never accually heard plain rims used in metal once. Well- maybe some alternative metal bands, such as Between the Buried and Me, if you can consider them metal.

NEGROGENESIS

Old 2006-12-20, 18:52
CompelledToLacerate

BTBAM are metalcore. So... meh. They're one of the more metal-y -core bands. Still good.

you can also hear in Converge's "Pheonix in Flames" some rim ckicking.

You can incorporate many styles of drumming into metal. That's what so great about it. I mean, could you incorporate blast beats in jazz? Probably not successfully.

Quote:
It's really sad, all those people who don't understand why we shouldn't act like our enemies. The real victory is not only killing and imprisoning the terrorists, but also letting civilized manners override the lust for revenge, once the battle is over.

Old 2006-12-21, 20:00
The Execrator
Noob lud

Rim hitting is a great way to have to tune your toms all the time.

Quote:

Old 2006-12-22, 09:35
CompelledToLacerate

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Execrator
Rim hitting is a great way to have to tune your toms all the time.

Only if you're a fucking caveman and you hit them harder than a metalcore drummer on Prozac (Don't ask how I came up with the comparison)

Quote:

Old 2006-12-24, 01:49
low-tech
Post-whore

whats wrong with hitting the rims?

i dont really do it but im not like morally opposed to it or anything.

Old 2006-12-24, 05:31
drawn&quartered
Too _____, wouldn't fuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by low-tech
whats wrong with hitting the rims?

i dont really do it but im not like morally opposed to it or anything.

well if you know what your doing its fine

but a lot of new drummers try to do tom rolls, end up hitting a few rims and it looks and sounds bad

NEGROGENESIS

Old 2006-12-24, 06:38
CompelledToLacerate

Yeah, I've been doing that alot lately. I hate myself; I always take a break from drumming for a few weeks, and my technique is sloppy. I'll get better and better til it's backt o where it is, but then I'll start slacking. Usually I have a good excuse (School, Work) but I figure if I'm going to be committed to this, then I can't make excuses other than I'm just plain lazy.

Got pissed off today and knocked over one of my cymbal stands. Luckly it didn't crack the cymbal.

Quote:

Old 2006-12-24, 13:04
low-tech
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompelledToLacerate
Yeah, I've been doing that alot lately. I hate myself; I always take a break from drumming for a few weeks, and my technique is sloppy. I'll get better and better til it's backt o where it is, but then I'll start slacking. Usually I have a good excuse (School, Work) but I figure if I'm going to be committed to this, then I can't make excuses other than I'm just plain lazy.

Got pissed off today and knocked over one of my cymbal stands. Luckly it didn't crack the cymbal.

dont sweat it man, ive kicked over cymbal/hihat stands out of retarded fustration too. just try not to let your temper go next time.

i once hit myself clean in the face, then thru the stick across the basement<of my parents house years ago when i lived there>.

it was a flush strike to the forehead with a 5a wood tip, let me fucking tell you.

sometimes a floor tom leg will go and then the fucker is leaning on me......i have to give it a nudge to fall the other way but sometimes its a little too harsh so i give a firm knee and the thing becomes a projectile.

its an old tom, the wingnuts threads are a bit loose or something.