MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Drums Zone

Old 2006-12-07, 16:42
Clarissa
New Blood

Unhappy Having trouble with my double pedal..

I recently got a ludwig double bass drum pedal and at first it was fine, but now the pedals have started weakening (especially the left one). I dont know how to strengthen the pedals basically. Can anybody help?

Old 2006-12-07, 17:22
Pr0az
Post-whore

Duck tape and rubber bands!!

Old 2006-12-07, 17:30
Clarissa
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr0az
Duck tape and rubber bands!!

I dont think it's that I need. There must be some way of tightening the springs but I dunno..

Old 2006-12-07, 21:26
The Doctor
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

how about turning the bolts tighter

Old 2006-12-08, 00:32
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

I don't think the girl knows which bolts to turn, and that it's called "adjusting the tension". I made a vid of myself adjusting my pedals just for you, you should get the basic idea of what's going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNxt7v6cGNA
http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32833
http://metaltabs.com/forum/attachme...tachmentid=8840

In the future, browse other threads before posting your own. That other thread is on the first page, so that just adds 10 points to your level of forum ineptitude.

Old 2006-12-08, 15:56
Clarissa
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenCrimson
I don't think the girl knows which bolts to turn, and that it's called "adjusting the tension". I made a vid of myself adjusting my pedals just for you, you should get the basic idea of what's going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNxt7v6cGNA

[EDIT] thanks for the vid, that has helped cause I know more about it now. But it actually turns out that it's broken which is gay because I just recently got it. The screw for the left pedal won't tighten against the shaft. I'm gonna take it into a music shop today and see if they can help.

Last edited by Clarissa : 2006-12-16 at 10:24.

Old 2006-12-18, 15:59
Clarissa
New Blood

In the shop they gave me a number to this company that apparently are a nightmare to get ludwig replacement parts from. They said it would be unlikely that they'd have it, but that's all they've got. So does anybody know where I could get a ludwig replacement part?

Old 2006-12-18, 23:25
The Execrator
Noob lud

Look for a cheap used one on eBay that you can get the parts from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Please excuse me for I currently have a terminal erection, and the only cure is midget-cunny.

Old 2006-12-19, 03:05
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

Um try some mineral oil on the shaft. Is the pedal new or secondhand? You can use the replacement parts for other pedals if need be, take it into the shop and see if stuff from an another pedal fits (that's what I did with my pedal). The bolts are pretty standard, and it shouldn't be too hard to find a replacement shaft. It's pretty fucking sloppy of them to sell you something broken, when that happened to me I went to a completely different drum store from the one where I bought my pedal and they gave me the parts for free!

Old 2006-12-19, 17:46
Clarissa
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenCrimson
Um try some mineral oil on the shaft. Is the pedal new or secondhand? You can use the replacement parts for other pedals if need be, take it into the shop and see if stuff from an another pedal fits (that's what I did with my pedal). The bolts are pretty standard, and it shouldn't be too hard to find a replacement shaft. It's pretty fucking sloppy of them to sell you something broken, when that happened to me I went to a completely different drum store from the one where I bought my pedal and they gave me the parts for free!

It said on ebay that it was new. The screw keeps slipping against the shaft and doesnt grip. Somebody told me how to fix it with some tools so I'm going to try that. If that doesn't work though I'll try and find a replacement shaft like you said.

Old 2006-12-20, 15:22
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

Ebay? Negative Feedback. Use it.

Old 2007-02-16, 18:27
Clarissa
New Blood

I've used negative feedback, thanks. He says that it was fine when he sent it. It may not have been broken when I first got it but I dont think it's been very well designed. I've managed to sort of fix it but it keeps breaking in different ways and I give up now so I'm just gonna get a new one, from a shop. Atleast then I will get support if it breaks. I'm deciding between a big dog and an iron cobra (which is more expensive). Has anybody used big dog or iron cobra here?

Old 2007-02-17, 04:59
jimmers
Senior Metalhead

Well almost every serious drummer will have used or owned an Iron Cobra at some point. They're the industry standard. Some people will argue other pedals are 'the best' (Axis, Eliminator, Janus, DW9000) but really, all those top ones are of a roughly equal quality, it's just down to personal preference in the end.

Big Dog are a bit of an Iron Cobra knock off. They've got a similar feel, although the one I tried had a slightly odd feeling slave pedal. No idea whether they're hard enough to last or not - check out some reviews and stuff on t'internet.

On your Ludwig pedal, where is it slipping? Is it the rod slipping on the pedal, or the adjustable part of the rod slipping on itself? If so there are various things you can do to get it to hold fast. Take a photo of the offending part if you can, I'll try to help out.

Last edited by jimmers : 2007-02-17 at 05:05.

Old 2007-02-17, 20:56
Miscarriage
New Blood

I hear more bad then good about Axis, actually..Especially with the pricing and how easily they can fall apart as well as the whole marketing gimmick with long boards and a bunch of other stuff. Big Dog as far as I've heard, are very nice. Iron Cobras are pretty common to use too, although, I've never used them myself, also, only good things. Sounds like your spring tension might be either loose or broken entirely..Could always go for new springs but, it's a pain putting them on and saving for some nice equipment isn't always a bad idea.

Old 2007-02-23, 02:35
DemonicSlaughteR
Metalhead

Try some pearl double pedals, our drumer has one (dont know what model though) and its good for him with no probs yet, it also comes with different cams for speed,power, and dont know what else, try them see how you like them

Old 2007-02-23, 07:59
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

Pearl doubles are usually elliminators.

Old 2007-02-23, 13:44
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

Hell like i've said to some before I have the Iron Cobra Jr. pedals and those things have been beaten to fuck by its previous owner. (my former punk drummer). Sat outside collected rust, squeeks like a bitch, he threw em around alot, and these things hold up like tanks. After spraying some silicon spray on it because it squeeked one too many times for me to handle, they haven't given me the slightest of problems.

I'm satisified with em quite a bit.
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.
About requiem. Aint it the truth...

Old 2007-02-24, 08:26
Acidbath32
New Blood

no one as opted to mention buying a universal drive shaft that comes with the axis pedals but in reality is the ultimate upgrade for all chain drive pedals, the result is the left pedal feels just like the right one, perhaps your factory pedal slave rod is wearing out and you probably just need to buy an axis slave rod, im gonna buy one as soon as i can afford it lol, but it will turn my 200 dollar dw7002 pedal into a 350 dollar chain drive, fuck what i want to try out its those new TRICK pedals those are sooo orgasmic looking

Old 2007-02-27, 12:14
Clarissa
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmers

On your Ludwig pedal, where is it slipping? Is it the rod slipping on the pedal, or the adjustable part of the rod slipping on itself? If so there are various things you can do to get it to hold fast. Take a photo of the offending part if you can, I'll try to help out.

thanks for trying to help but my old pedal had so many things wrong with it that it's just not worth trying to fix it anymore. I've got a new big dog pedal with a double chain that I'm really happy with, and if anything goes wrong the shop will support me.

Old 2007-02-27, 21:49
jimmers
Senior Metalhead

Cool - the one I played felt sturdy enough. I've got some Big Dog hardware and it's as hard as nails - especially my throne which takes a real beating from me and never complains.

Pedal was a good buy, I reckon.

Old 2007-04-11, 19:03
corpseifierdude2
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarissa
I recently got a ludwig double bass drum pedal and at first it was fine, but now the pedals have started weakening (especially the left one). I dont know how to strengthen the pedals basically. Can anybody help?

buy a new spring?

im not entirely sure what u mean when u say strenghten the pedals

Old 2007-07-02, 11:14
Clarissa
New Blood

It's cool, I've got a new pedal now and it's fine =)

you can close the topic now i guess