MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Drums Zone

Old 2006-06-25, 03:17
Miscarriage
New Blood

Click/Finger Blasting and accented rolls.

As of recent i've been looking into finger blasting although i'm not particularly a fan of it. I've always sort of looked at it as the easy way out of building your wrists to do blasts but I believe it serves some point.. I'm personally unsure as to how to go about practicing it..I can't really get a good grip in terms of rebound and it ultimately just sounds bad, for now. I've also always been a fan of a roll on the snare with accents on a ride cymbal (Think Behemoth, Animosity, Arsis, Aborted...hell alot of bands.) and i'm curious as to how to well, accent at such high speeds, i'm pretty decent at blasting and such and it's not a priority to me but it's something i'd like to actually be able to do for an extended period of time. Practice is just a broad term and i'm looking for possible exercises that could help in terms of accents, doing it at slow speeds doesn't seem to build my ability over time even when increasing, so i'm wondering if i'm going about it wrong by simply attempting to accent in such a way.

For a little guidance in terms of what I mean by finger-blasting..
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5zy24w7G...lick%20Blasting

Thanks for anything.

Old 2006-07-04, 22:19
scard
New Blood

to do fingerblasting, you gotta well... use your fingers.

Remember this: your finger does 50% of the work, and the drumhead the the other 50%. Finger blasting is just like dribling a basketball. You use your finger to bring the stick down, and the head rebounds the head up.

Practice at a comfortable tempo and build up your control, then you'll get faster.

Old 2006-07-04, 23:12
low-tech
Post-whore

im most a from the wrist player.

this is simple. use a metronome, set it at high speed, drill them with the desired accents.

being a fan of the moeller technique myself, i tend to make accents on every 4 or every 2 so im actually trying to get rid of accents. but yeah, the moeller "whip" may be what you are looking for

Old 2006-07-07, 19:51
Miscarriage
New Blood

Yeah, that's exactly what it is. I figured as much but I wasn't sure if it was simply accents or some "Trick" so to speak.

Thanks for the info though.

Old 2006-07-08, 02:23
low-tech
Post-whore

you will, i believe, sacrifice a bit of speed with moeller, its worth the tradeoff for louder hits tho.

i do around 230-240 and will settle for the 250<hard work for me getting there>range on average. blasts sound good fast of course, but thrash beats sound rushed at 260. im not interested at speeds exceeding the 260 sound barrier. someone else can try a 280 tempo song, id rather work on variation,interesting playing at 250.

my feet of couse are nowhere near 250, maybe 230<on a good day> and being horribly flammed at parts. thats an even greater work in progress.

Old 2006-07-09, 00:02
Miscarriage
New Blood

I agree, there is a degree where speed just fails and it sound ridiculous..although there is always room to improvise and make some interesting fills just not for actual beats going 280 or so through out an entire song..typically.

The only thing i'm really curious about is how to go about using my fingers to really..work to do those? I can do around the same speed with Moeller strokes, I just want a bit more variation if that makes sense.

I can't seem to find a comfortable way to actually finger blast though, my stick easily falls loose, is there a preferable grip or anything special to keep in mind?

Old 2006-07-09, 01:53
low-tech
Post-whore

i dont know, ive seen video of WFD guys uses 100% finger control for awesome results speedwise, i cant do it that fast and especially dont blast that way.

i do stress the fingers a bit anyway

Old 2006-09-02, 13:00
maggot666
Metalhead

Controlling of your fingers is a nice thing!

What the fuck you looking at!? If you hate me, Oh god I hate u too!

Old 2006-09-02, 19:11
CompelledToLacerate
FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

My stick doesn't bounce too well off my snare. Should I tighten the head?

Keep checking for new crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
It's really sad, all those people who don't understand why we shouldn't act like our enemies. The real victory is not only killing and imprisoning the terrorists, but also letting civilized manners override the lust for revenge, once the battle is over.

Old 2006-09-04, 07:57
maggot666
Metalhead

I think you loosen your grip ont the stick, not that so loose! So that your sticks will bounce of the snare!

What the fuck you looking at!? If you hate me, Oh god I hate u too!