MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Drums Zone

Old 2006-06-05, 08:42
EXTANTDRUMMER
New Blood

SKINS

Im replacing all my skins, a)because they are beaten to fuck, and b) because i hate ringing. so im looking to minimise sustain, but i still want to have a tight head and response. Ive narrowed it down to either remo PS3's or evans hydraulic's. does anyone have specific experience with these 2 skins, and what can you tell me about their feel and sustain. cheers.

Old 2006-06-05, 10:56
jimmers
Senior Metalhead

I've always used PS3s and I fucking adore them. I have mine tuned pretty low and loose because I like that sound, so obviously I don't get any ring or anything, but I think the internal rings should stop it even if you like cranking them up tight. They feel lovely, sound good mic'd or otherwise and seem to last forever. Made a MASSIVE difference to the sound of my kick, too. I tend to find they sound better of bigger toms, so if you play some fusion size kit with all 8" and 10" and stuff you probably wouldn't get the best effect from them, but for the bigger stuff and especially bigger floor toms they're sweet as fuck.

I'd recommend them to anyone.

Old 2006-06-05, 11:33
EXTANTDRUMMER
New Blood

cheers man

Old 2006-06-05, 14:12
Demogorgon
Metalhead

I've the most used setup i guess : Pinstripe batter and ambassador reso. On top of that i use damping rings or moongel. Does the trick here. Very little sustain and a very nice and fat sound. On my snare i've got a coated Emperor. My bassdrum has a Powerstroke 4 as batter and an ebony Ambassador as reso. I've got a very cheap kit, but most people say my bassdrum sounds really good. Together with the slam pad it hard a loud and pretty "clicky" sound (i use wooden beaters).