MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Drums Zone

Old 2006-03-10, 21:13
Exodus666
Supreme Metalhead

(IC) Pedal setup help

Ok, here's the deal... I drum for 2,5 years now and I immediately started out with a double pedal. A crappy, non-adjustable one, but still.

I got myself Iron Cobra's (Powerglide) last week, as I felt I was ready for a next stage (i.e. trying to gain fast deathmetal speed) which required better pedals. To all Axis-fans: yes I know, I like Axis myself, but there were several reasons why I got IC's, so please don't start about Axis being the best.

Anyway, here's why I started this topic. I don't know much about the "ideal" pedal setup for playing solid and fast, so I'll try your advice.

What I already adjusted:
- Tightening the springs somewhat
- Raising the pedalboard
- Putting the beaters closer to the skin

This is their current stance:
http://users.skynet.be/fa299107/one.jpg
http://users.skynet.be/fa299107/two.jpg

I fiddled around with it for a while, but I bet there's a much more adequate setup possible. So any tips would be helpful (tighten springs hard or set them loose? How high should pedalboard/beaters be? Etc.). Especially because my legs get tired pretty quick when playing fast. It could partly be my technique too, which isn't entirely under control yet, but I'm getting there slowly.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Old 2006-03-11, 00:13
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

firstly, there is no excuse for not getting axis

now for the second part:

I would suggest moving your beaters further away from the head actually, you want a nice swing when playing double bass, or otherwise your hits are going to sound pussy, when playing fast you want to be able to get as much swing as possible so that each hit is clear and defined!

apart from that, all you need to adjust is everything so it is comfy for YOU, don't adjust your pedals to play a style, Adjust them to suit YOUR playing.

For example, Derek roddy has his pedals SUPER tight, While Flo has his pedals on almost no spring tension etc.

Different Strokes for Different Folks!

Old 2006-03-11, 03:43
The Execrator
Noob lud

The main thing for setting up a pedal, is having it be comfortable to you. Don't try and copy exactly what someone else has, unless it works for you. Any set up is right, if you like it. Most drummers will find their perfect set up with time.

And NZ, you can play just as loud with your beaters 3 inches away rather than 6 inches away. It's all technique. Thats also a personal preference. I like having mine close to the head. There are pros and cons to every extreme of pedal adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Please excuse me for I currently have a terminal erection, and the only cure is midget-cunny.

Old 2006-03-11, 04:36
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

true true, but generally I find that a beater close to the head means less power, even when I am hitting 200 BPM my pedals are still doing almost full swings, which means each hit is loud as fuck. whatch Derek's feet or Flo's each hit is a full swing!

Old 2006-03-11, 08:03
Exodus666
Supreme Metalhead

Thanks for the replies so far!

I'm not really after "copying" someone's exact setup, but there could be general "rules" about what is more appropriate for fast playing and what isn't.

I have to agree with NZ though, I've tried with the beaters closer to the head but due to the lack of swing, it's hard to maintain both a comfortable groove and a certain volume.

I'll guess I'll have to fiddle around with it some more then.

Old 2006-03-11, 15:06
The Execrator
Noob lud

If you play with your springs all the way up, it would be hard as hell to get any power out of a close beater. If it's fairly loose, you basically have full controll over the pedal, being able to get power out of a close beater. when you're doing a fast 16th note bass drum roll with close beaters, it doesn't really matter anymore how far away your beaters are. The rebound will bring it back fairly far, giving you more power that way.

Just my thoughs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Please excuse me for I currently have a terminal erection, and the only cure is midget-cunny.

Old 2006-03-11, 23:03
jimmers
Senior Metalhead

To me, the beaters are a bit close to the head. It is true that you can get the same power from a short and long hit, but to me you've got no control at slower speeds.

It's cool if you only ever play above 180 or something, but in my band's stuff there's a lot at 120/130 and at one part of one song at 95, and there's NO WAY I can play that slow with close beaters. I'm not saying nobody can, and yes it would be possible to play it on one foot, but you would lose power with that unless you're triggered.

Old 2006-03-24, 02:36
Mapex7string
Senior Metalhead

mine are set at a 45 degree angle (beaters), with the wood beaters (have felt too, but prefer the wood), with springs tightened all the way. This set up works great for me, but I play heel up-flat footed