MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Drums Zone

Old 2006-03-07, 04:42
band357
Metalhead

Drum programming! Fav's?!?

So, as a drummer, I am opposed to the use of programmed drum tracks for most music. However, over the years, I've found a few uses of them that I actually enjoy quite a bit. And so, drummers, I propose this: top 5 best uses of drum machine/programming! (by the way, bands such as meshuggah and necrophagist (except onset) do not count... cheating is retarded... don't have a drummer in your band if you're just going to program the parts):

1.) Fuck... I'm Dead - Bring on the Dead
2.) Agoraphobic Nosebleed - anything
3.) Anaal Nathrakh - anything
4.) Sleep Terror (check 'em out here... guitarists will shit over this stuff: http://www.myspace.com/sleepterror )
5.) Necrophagist - Onset of Putrifaction

Old 2006-03-07, 05:07
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

Sleep Terror use a drummer live.

but I have heard he struggles a LOT with the parts! but then I beleve there is some 270 Bpm double bass programmed in there!!!

Old 2006-03-07, 05:37
John Holland
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Banned

Meshuggah's Tomas Haake programmed his drummed parts on Catch 33 due to time budget constraints.

Whereas there's a lot of shit talking about Sleep Terror ( not anything against NZ Black Metal Drumm, I'm talking about elsewhere ), they seem to pull their stuff off live just fine as YouTube shows.

Old 2006-03-07, 05:44
band357
Metalhead

yeah, there's only that one video though, and that's fairly standard drum work, albeit fast. I'm sure he could get tripped up on some of the other work.

And it wasn't just catch33 that haake programmed on. it was done on "I" and I believe "nothing" as well. It just majorly dissapoints me. Part of the reason I would listen to something like meshuggah is to be impressed w/ the musicians accomplishments. I don't feel like Haake lived up to himself. Meshuggah, in a magazine, said they did it b/c it was easy as hell... the easiest way to do it. A shortcut, etc.
Thanks, but no thanks. I know haake is very good, and can probably play it all, but none-the-less, I'm dissapointed. Same goes for Necrophagist and "Epitaph". I don't want programmed samples if you have a drummer. I want a drummer.
lol, that's just me though.

Old 2006-03-07, 05:58
John Holland
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Banned

I don't really have a problem with how something is put down on record as long as they can pull it off live. But I do see your point, I'd much rather HEAR Tomas Haake play on record, you just can't get that with a machine.

Old 2006-03-09, 05:02
Meesh
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by band357
yeah, there's only that one video though, and that's fairly standard drum work, albeit fast. I'm sure he could get tripped up on some of the other work.

Theres a couple of Sleep Terror vids floating around, I think one for ginsu frenzy and one for hypnotic qualm. Personally I was amazed at how easy that drummer seemed to pull off the parts in both vids. It didn't even look like he was trying.

I read Luke was gonna have a real drummer on the new album but they couldn't get their shit together in time before recording started.

Quote:
Same goes for Necrophagist and "Epitaph". I don't want programmed samples if you have a drummer. I want a drummer.

Huh? . Hannes played all of the stuff on Epitaph, no samples there. Are you sure you don't mean the RE-ISSUE of Onset?. I was kinda wondering why they didn't get hannes to play all the drums on the re-issue aswell since they used samples taken from his kit, but I have to admit, that's the best sounding programming i've ever heard. That Christoph Brandes guy knows his shit.

Old 2006-03-09, 16:18
band357
Metalhead

actually, on epitaph they used the same technique as meshuggah, and they sampled Hannes' kit, then programming the parts. That's not actually a recording of Hannes playing the parts, although I've heard him live, and he does it pretty damn well.

Old 2006-03-09, 21:32
Meesh
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
actually, on epitaph they used the same technique as meshuggah, and they sampled Hannes' kit, then programming the parts. That's not actually a recording of Hannes playing the parts

Really?, interesting. You wouldn't have a link or something to this info by any chance would you? I can't find anything in the booklet about programming or samples.

Old 2006-03-09, 21:39
band357
Metalhead

Yeah, give me a bit of time to dig it up... I forget where I read it, but after I read it, I was like WTF? My friend Jeff keeps in contact with Mohammed (sp?), and asked him, and he confirmed it. But I'll try to find that original article.

Old 2006-03-10, 22:52
younguitarist
Post-whore

Dude they sampled Hannes drums for the Onset RE-ISSUE. Hannes played drums on epitaph... no drum machine. http://necrophagist.de/bilder/galle...killssticks.jpg

Old 2006-03-11, 04:21
band357
Metalhead

I must have read it wrong then, but I thought my friend communicated directlyw/ Mohammad... Dunno. I think there's something about it on the Necro forum, but if they say only on Onset, then I believe 'em...