MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Drums Zone

Old 2006-03-05, 16:14
Grond
Metalhead

blast beats

i often asked myself weither i should play more blast beats... because right now i am playing mostly beats which has a bit of the rythm of the git and the bassgit (which dont means blast beats are not fitting to the music!!!)...
so, what do you like more? Blast beat or not?

Old 2006-03-05, 17:02
Demogorgon
Metalhead

Blastbeats are cool, but don't exagerate (?) because it gets boring pretty easily (cfr. Krisiun).

Old 2006-03-05, 18:04
Grond
Metalhead

thanks for your opinion...
but what means "exagerate"??? *i am german*

Old 2006-03-05, 21:18
Demogorgon
Metalhead

Well, i speak Dutch so my English ain't that good either, but with "exagerate" i mean something like "overdoing it", don't use it too much.

Old 2006-03-05, 22:34
The Execrator
Noob lud

Blasting is cool to a certain point. It has to fit the riff of the song. Vitek from Decapitated is good with that. He only blasts when it fits. In my playing, I don't do much blast beats. In my band, I have yet to blast in a song. Though I might in the future.

Basically, it's up to you and the music wether you blast or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Please excuse me for I currently have a terminal erection, and the only cure is midget-cunny.

Old 2006-03-06, 07:06
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

I like Blasts, but I play power metal, so I rarely get to use them,

Blasting is all good if you want it to be.

For Example Hate Eternal want that constant blasting style.

if your band wants it then sweet, if they don't then sweet, if they don't care what you play, try and mix it up as much as you can!!!

Old 2006-03-06, 07:19
band357
Metalhead

Use blasts when they are needed. The music will call for them. If the music doesn't sound good with them, don't use them. Pretty simple...
Experiment, don't get stuck with one idea in mind. Your best bet is to try different options and experiment. You'll never stagnate, and will have a great time playing quality music. No point in forcing a part that doesn't make sense.

Old 2006-03-07, 15:00
Grond
Metalhead

I thought about them as you doo...

Thank you for your fast replies!!!

Old 2006-03-26, 04:02
Mayhem
Senior Metalhead

indeed, when blast beats are over used they just get kinda boring to me...it's better when the drummer adds there own creative style to every riff then just a crazy blast beat for everything the guitarist plays....although there are times where blast beats fit perfectly and sound amazing. you've definetly gotta know when to use them during a song....unless the type of music your playing is spacifically made for those types of beats, in which case im all for it...but i still tend to get bored of those types of bands..

Old 2006-03-26, 19:57
low-tech
Post-whore

ive moved away from grind style drumming. this band im in is mostly slow stuff. there is two songs that get to about thrash speed, no real blast parts beyond a triplet bomb style blast that is intentionally slower than normal

i miss those kind of sets where at the end its as if you just jumped in a river with all your clothes on, that last song where all your viens in your head are about to burst from the strain. but i realize its good to for me to try something different. i wasnt really that into doomy, slow dissonant style metal before.
ive since gotten really into it and its an entirely new way to play drums for me,really minimalist. for the past 7-8 years or so ive been in grind/thrash bands, ive been so focused on playing fast that playing slow was hard. keeping tempo was hard, playing a slow drumfill was hard,still is.

Old 2006-06-21, 13:25
MetalThrashingMad
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

A question from a non-drummer...

When Longstreth and King blast beat, how do they play 16 notes on the snare(250 bpm)?? Is there a way to do it with one hand?

Old 2006-06-21, 13:34
low-tech
Post-whore

its gravity blasting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XLX...gravity%20blast

heres an excellent display of the stick technique

Old 2006-06-22, 05:54
Corpsevomit98
Post-whore

Blast beats are only needed when the music calls for it, go with the flow of the music.

Old 2006-07-15, 14:54
shred_head45
Metalhead

hey, Im not really a drummer but hear me about before you decide to rip me apart. I figured this thread to be the best to ask this. Im in a band but my drummer doesnt seem to be intrested in the drumming that we need him to do. now I know most of your first replies will be "get a new drummer" but we cant cause theres arent any who know how to atleast double bass. is there anything I can do to get him doing more complex, blast beats, and just not such lame sounding drum rythems? for example the drums in alot of death metal bands are insanley fast and they have alot of toms used so they sound really heavy and complex. same with the drumming from bands like slipknot and lamb of god. the drumming sounds really fast and complex. help me get my drummer into that kind of drumming!

thanks.

Old 2006-07-16, 02:11
CompelledToLacerate
FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Drumming is like cooking; you have all these ingredients and you have to add them all in at decent proportions to make a good meal. If you are going for more of a brutal Death Metal feel. I'd say let the blasting rip.

Keep checking for new crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
It's really sad, all those people who don't understand why we shouldn't act like our enemies. The real victory is not only killing and imprisoning the terrorists, but also letting civilized manners override the lust for revenge, once the battle is over.

Old 2006-08-16, 23:45
Disavowed_Corpse
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by shred_head45
hey, Im not really a drummer but hear me about before you decide to rip me apart. I figured this thread to be the best to ask this. Im in a band but my drummer doesnt seem to be intrested in the drumming that we need him to do. now I know most of your first replies will be "get a new drummer" but we cant cause theres arent any who know how to atleast double bass. is there anything I can do to get him doing more complex, blast beats, and just not such lame sounding drum rythems? for example the drums in alot of death metal bands are insanley fast and they have alot of toms used so they sound really heavy and complex. same with the drumming from bands like slipknot and lamb of god. the drumming sounds really fast and complex. help me get my drummer into that kind of drumming!

thanks.

Every drummer is different he probly just isn;t comfortable palying at that speed and complexity yet maybe you yourself has to pick up the tempo for him to realize no?

Old 2006-08-17, 00:30
Casketcrusher
Post-whore

Yeah. It's difficult when you play in a band with people who have different interests then you. I use to play with a drummer who was fucking amazing. Unfortunatly I wanted to play old school Death Metal and Grind and he wanted to play more tech death stuff like Cryptopsy and Nile. We never really got anything done. In fact you can ask him yourself. Hello Disavowed Corpse, how have you been?

Truer words were never spoken.

Old 2006-08-17, 04:04
FesteringCorpse
Metalhead

Blasts beats through a whole song can get boring in my opinion. (Nick Barker ex Cradle, ex Dimmu Borgir) mixes it up well, he's an awesome metal drummer.
Yeah my band is a full on weird mix. Drummer likes Power Metal, Bass player likes Ramones, guitarists like anything death metal, old punk and emo and i like Death, Black, Cock rock, oldschool rock, Thrash whatever.

Old 2006-09-03, 08:14
maggot666
Metalhead

No blast beats are nice, but don't use it often!

What the fuck you looking at!? If you hate me, Oh god I hate u too!