MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Bass Zone

Old 2006-02-21, 19:17
((Nervous)) Texx
Metalhead

Anyone else ever do this to your bass?

Over the weekend, i was changing strings on my first bass and (Needless to say, it was my least expensive one) i decided i wanted a fretless bass. Out come the pliers and after 10 minutes or so of pulling out frets and then another 10 of sanding with sand paper and then steel wool, i have a fretless bass. So, anyone else here ever done that? What is your guys' opinion on fretless basses and does anyone know an example of how fretless basses havebeen used in metal?

if we are all God's children, what makes Jesus so special?

i like metal

Old 2006-02-21, 19:30
JesterRace
New Blood

i believe you would have to check the intonation and possibly adjust the truss rod. Also you might want to put a protectective coating on the fingerboard because my friend did the same thing and the roundwound strings ate it up.

Old 2006-02-21, 20:00
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

Thats great man, nice one, ive never had the guts to de-fret any of my basses.. even my cheap first ones..

But yeah, like Jester said, put a coat of Epoxy (http://www.woodwiz.com/guitarlab/longshot226.jpg - http://www.woodwiz.com/guitarlab/Mi...slant%20226.jpg ) on the fretboard, to protect it, or just change your strings to flatwounds, if you havent already.

Post pics aswell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal=life
Hey don't talk back buddy. Give your dick size or don't post.

Old 2006-02-21, 21:27
autumncurve
Post-whore

sounds like you could quite easily ending up butchering your fretboard...i'd like to try it, i never thought to do that. lets see some pics man!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs. malicious
someone's a little behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
I'll take you from behind!

-grindcore (featuring newHELLonEARTH)- Krossa
-"Neo-Classical Heathen Folk"- Ellylldan
-experimental/middle eastern themed/folk/ambient- Soft Temple
-experimental/post rock/downtempo- Silence Over Okhotsk

Old 2006-02-21, 21:53
((Nervous)) Texx
Metalhead

i am working on getting flatwounds and i will post some pictures of it after i put in some wood filler and sand it down and maybe put a few coats of tung oil. I have to do this when my dad gets back from a business trip because i dont know where the wood filler n tung oil stuff is. by the way, this is one of those cheap $100 rogue basses. I cant say it was an aweosme bass but it was decent for the price and served its purpose till i got my ibanez 6 string

and, do you know what kind of epoxy was used on those? because those are beastly. i might consider doing that to this one or a fretless i might acquire in the future?

i like metal

Last edited by ((Nervous)) Texx : 2006-02-21 at 21:58.

Old 2006-02-21, 21:57
autumncurve
Post-whore

make sure you take pics of the process so far, that'll be cool

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs. malicious
someone's a little behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
I'll take you from behind!

-grindcore (featuring newHELLonEARTH)- Krossa
-"Neo-Classical Heathen Folk"- Ellylldan
-experimental/middle eastern themed/folk/ambient- Soft Temple
-experimental/post rock/downtempo- Silence Over Okhotsk

Old 2006-02-21, 23:40
koglos
New Blood

One time I got a cheap electric guitar and de-fretted it. It sounded really cool, except for on the thinner strings, which would always dig up into my finger instead of staying firm against the fretboard, thus producing a muted sound.

Old 2006-02-23, 11:34
blitz906
Okay.

Yeah I dunno much about doing it yourself but I'd say do what Jaco Pastorius did, use epoxy, I'm not really sure if he did anything else though....would be best to read a bit about him and how he de-fretted his bass, that should give you a good idea of how to go about the rest of it. And as for some fretless metal bass players? well...theres Steve Digiorgio, a fucking AWESOME metal bassist, he uses a 5-string fretless, an ESP I think....there are some videos of him here you should watch http://www.stevedigiorgio.com/music.html the three Dynamo ones at the top....he has an amazing sound. And I don't know of any other metal fretless players besides him, anyone else know?

Good luck man and cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompelledToLacerate
God, the Japanese are so weird. This HAS to be the long term effects of the atom bombs. No one is that weird on purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomli
The slams in that song always kill me. First time I heard that song I was like "Too much heaviness - brain collapse" but now I could murder my family to that one

Old 2006-02-23, 15:44
Disincarnate
But why is the rum gone ?

sean malone also uses a fretless........try getting the cynic album awesome shit...but he didnt use a fretless in that album unfortunately

Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely

Quote:
Guitarists are just people who could Never make it as a Bassist

www.riversofgore.com

Join The Forum CUNT

Old 2006-02-23, 19:14
((Nervous)) Texx
Metalhead

i like the epoxy idea but i was thinking...is a rogue $100 bass worth the epoxy? and w00t steve rocks. dont flame me for it but i was never much a fan of death but steve is sweet. just like im sure most people think that paul gilbert is an awesome guitarist but mr big sucks balls

i like metal

Last edited by ((Nervous)) Texx : 2006-02-24 at 19:36.

Old 2006-02-23, 19:18
Requiem
Post-whore

no but thanks for the idea

Old 2006-03-06, 19:27
matterthief
Metalhead

I had a fretless but the buzzy kind of tone annoyed me after a while. I have a couple friends who went the flatwound fretless route full time for a while and they all came back. It kills your callouses.

Mr. Big totally sucked balls....

Old 2006-03-11, 19:11
((Nervous)) Texx
Metalhead

mr big did totally suck balls but you cant deny that paul gilbert was a great guitarist. and i allready have beastly callouses from playing my ibanez 6 string bass for like a month straight

i like metal

Old 2006-03-13, 22:57
matterthief
Metalhead

Listening to Paul Gilbert is like listening to a cokehead type - I'd rather hear Sheenan solo than him. Is your 6 string your main bass? How do you like it? I used to have a Washburn 6 - it played OK and I thought it would be good for death but I never really liked playing it.

Old 2006-03-19, 12:52
epitaph
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disincarnate
sean malone also uses a fretless........try getting the cynic album awesome shit...but he didnt use a fretless in that album unfortunately

He did use a fretless in Focus,
Kubicki Ex Factor 4.

I have a fretless Warwick bass, I like it pretty much.
But at the moment It's at my fathers house (I borrowed it to him and he
borrowed his Warwick FNA Jazzman to me)

Old 2006-03-24, 19:48
((Nervous)) Texx
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by matterthief
Listening to Paul Gilbert is like listening to a cokehead type - I'd rather hear Sheenan solo than him. Is your 6 string your main bass? How do you like it? I used to have a Washburn 6 - it played OK and I thought it would be good for death but I never really liked playing it.

i like my 6. it is an ibanez sr506 and it works pretty well. it is a really beautiful guitar and it is a lot darker than on the picture in music 123 (MF doesnt have it).
it is my main bass when i want to play fretted and it sounds really nice with the active bartonlini pickups. the 6 works really well because i have decently large hands and my fingers are longer than the fretboard when i lay them across it so i figure i could take at least a 9 or 10.

i like metal

Old 2006-03-26, 02:46
Subsonic6string
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ((Nervous)) Texx
it sounds really nice with the active bartonlini pickups.

Are the bartolinis aftermarket or is your bass the BTB series?
I play the SR506 too...amazing action and amazing neck, but the electronics on it definately need to be upgraded. I'm buying a 6-string Spector (for a VERY good price, I mad add...) and the EMG's in it sound amazing.

Cheers

Old 2006-03-27, 09:32
Disincarnate

[QUOTE=epitaph]He did use a fretless in Focus,
Kubicki Ex Factor 4.
QUOTE]

by looking at the pics n the video it looks like he is using a fretted

i kno he had a fretless version but he got a new fretted neck n started to use that.

Quote:

www.riversofgore.com

Join The Forum CUNT

Old 2006-03-28, 12:42
VolVox
New Blood

Listen to the Album dude, you can hear the nonexistance of frets on his bass.

Old 2006-04-09, 11:31
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

ive decided to try this with my b.c. rich
im going to defret and install a whammy bar
I've already replaced the passive b.c. pickups for emg selects
main question:
Did you really just rip out the frets with pliers?
and
does a bass whammy bar need special routing?

http://hosting01.hotchyx.com/adult-...pad_and_pat.jpg

Old 2006-04-09, 11:33
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disincarnate

by looking at the pics n the video it looks like he is using a fretted

i kno he had a fretless version but he got a new fretted neck n started to use that.

probably lined

Old 2006-04-09, 14:59
((Nervous)) Texx
Metalhead

yea dude, i just got some pliers and ripped em out, it really is easy once you get your technique down

i like metal

Old 2006-04-09, 15:02
((Nervous)) Texx
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsonic6string
Are the bartolinis aftermarket or is your bass the BTB series?
I play the SR506 too...amazing action and amazing neck, but the electronics on it definately need to be upgraded. I'm buying a 6-string Spector (for a VERY good price, I mad add...) and the EMG's in it sound amazing.

Cheers

no, the bartolinis came with the bass

i like metal

Old 2006-11-14, 00:21
Niklaus
New Blood

I just defretted my old Oscar Schmidt bass and so far everthing is going smoothly, but I want to know if it is alright to use any regular house hold wood finish to use on the fretboard..

Thanks.

Old 2006-11-23, 23:31
metalstorm
New Blood

Putting a whammy bar on a fretless bass is almost redundant because you can easily manipulate the pitch as there are no frets....

Old 2006-11-24, 23:25
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

nah, theres just no way to get the kind of dives and pulls Im looking for without the whammy.

Old 2006-11-26, 19:41
Rattlehead
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixsicsix
nah, theres just no way to get the kind of dives and pulls Im looking for without the whammy.

Why sure there is. Slide!
You've got almost two octaves worth of sliding from a given note (depending on where you place it) at your disposal. I don't know much about whammys but I would guess that 2 octaves is more than enough.
Of course if you plan on using the whammy for harmonics then its a different story, but I'm pretty sure that except for natural harmonics, on fretless harmonics are nearly impossible.
On the other hand, I have difficulty getting pinch harmonics to be loud on fretted bass, let alone being able to do them quickly enough so that I don't have to stop to position my fingers, so I doubt that's why you want a whammy.
I say do away with it. You can always stand in its former location if you need to make use of the perspective it gave you, but will benefit from the ability to situate yourself in different loci with ease.
Destroy the box.

Old 2006-11-28, 00:33
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

well, thats a little more moving around than I want to do...
playing should always be comfortable, and building stamina is one thing, but why waste energy flinging yourself all over the neck when you could just move a bar thats right by your hand anyway?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead
on fretless harmonics are nearly impossible.

you couldnt be more wrong

Old 2006-11-29, 00:42
Rattlehead
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
well, thats a little more moving around than I want to do...
playing should always be comfortable, and building stamina is one thing, but why waste energy flinging yourself all over the neck when you could just move a bar thats right by your hand anyway?

Well, it probably isn't THAT hard, and if it saves you at least 500$ ... why not at least give it a try?

Regarding harmonics being more difficult on fretless:
Quote:
you couldnt be more wrong

Please enlighten me.
I say do away with it. You can always stand in its former location if you need to make use of the perspective it gave you, but will benefit from the ability to situate yourself in different loci with ease.
Destroy the box.

Old 2006-11-29, 21:24
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

harmonics are much easier on fretless, you just have to have good intonation, and without that...you suck reguardless of whether or not youve ever had frets.

I play an upright bass,so I know what im talking about when I say moving around constantly sucks.
its all about being able to play for a long time. If youre going to be playing for 4+ hours at a time, throwing yourself all over your instrument really wont help much.

Old 2006-11-30, 14:36
Rattlehead
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
harmonics are much easier on fretless, you just have to have good intonation, and without that...you suck reguardless of whether or not youve ever had frets.

I play an upright bass,so I know what im talking about when I say moving around constantly sucks.
its all about being able to play for a long time. If youre going to be playing for 4+ hours at a time, throwing yourself all over your instrument really wont help much.
So then you mean for artificial harmonics too? Can you do them well enough so that you don't have to stop to place your hands? And if so, how?

Speaking of intonation, does anyone know how to fix the problem I have?
My B string is slightly too sharp (what I mean is, the open string is perfect B but the 24th fret is 3-4 Hz too sharp), but I have made the string as long as possible by adjusting the bridge saddle for that string. Is there anything else I can do?
My strings are fairly high up right now, but I don't know if having less relief on the neck and lowering (if necessary) the action would change much for intonation, apart from me having to readjust it and probably have the same problem as before on the B string.
Destroy the box.

Old 2006-11-30, 23:11
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead
So then you mean for artificial harmonics too? Can you do them well enough so that you don't have to stop to place your hands? And if so, how?

Speaking of intonation, does anyone know how to fix the problem I have?
My B string is slightly too sharp (what I mean is, the open string is perfect B but the 24th fret is 3-4 Hz too sharp), but I have made the string as long as possible by adjusting the bridge saddle for that string. Is there anything else I can do?
My strings are fairly high up right now, but I don't know if having less relief on the neck and lowering (if necessary) the action would change much for intonation, apart from me having to readjust it and probably have the same problem as before on the B string.

part 1 - practice
part 2 - bridge or neck adjustment

Old 2006-12-02, 15:46
Rattlehead
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
part 1 - practice
part 2 - bridge or neck adjustment
part 1 - Do you recommend the thumb for pinch harmonics or a finger (like the pinky maybe)? Out of everything I've tried, there is nothing that gets a note out nearly as loud as regular plucked notes. And this is true even if I pluck really hard.

Tap harmonics are easier to do, but these aren't loud either, not matter how hard I hit the string.

part 2 - I suppose I could use a setup anyway ...

Thanks
Destroy the box.

Old 2006-12-03, 01:37
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

tapped harm's arent about force
you have to hit right perfectly over the fret

as for the above part, use your thumb

Old 2007-06-17, 19:45
Disincarnate

i plan to defret my 5 string bass aswell..so the people who have done it is it working out fine? or is it just better to go with a new fretless bass

Quote:

www.riversofgore.com

Join The Forum CUNT

Old 2007-06-19, 15:55
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

In regards to defretting basses, the best thing to do is get a soldering iron and heat up the fret first, then work it out with pliers. Heating up the fret will melt the glue that holds it in place, making it easier to remove.
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut

Old 2007-06-21, 00:29
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtiel
In regards to defretting basses, the best thing to do is get a soldering iron and heat up the fret first, then work it out with pliers. Heating up the fret will melt the glue that holds it in place, making it easier to remove.

thats ingenious.

also invest in a set of fret pullers, 25 bucks never made your life easier.
IT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT that you fill the frets with wood filler as soon as you get all of the frets out. if you dont that thing is going to warp worse than anything you've ever seen.
and sand it alot