MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Drums Zone

Old 2006-02-03, 01:00
Miscarriage
New Blood

Odd double bass conflict?

Well, i've been playing drums for a little over 3 years and i've been playing double bass for.. afew months, mabye 4? Anyhow, I play Axis-X2 pedals and I love them, had to make some minor adjustments as i'd imagine most drummers do to their equipment, but after all of this I still can't seem to find a comfortable position you could say? I practice my double bass as I would my singles on hands and work around triplets, gallops, etc.. To build a more rounded spectrum on the pedals. I can go relatively quickly and I can feel it.. but it seems that my pedals shake some when I go certain speeds, this was later resolved by adjusting the lag on my left pedal.. but even still it does a slight bit and I feel that perhaps that is causing me to fail to progress slightly. I can pull out rather fast double bass but it seems the notes become.. incohearant, but i'm hardly placing too much effort.. My technique from what i've been told is right.. but i'm lost as to what it could be.

It seems more like a gear question, but I figured i'd get a better response here knowing people who practice such. I'm curious is this a common practice issue or is it something that could be fixed with some sort of adjustment?

Thanks for reading, and if anymore info is needed, please say so.

Old 2006-02-03, 01:47
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

your left pedal wobbles you say?

is it set firmly on the ground? because of the velcro on the underside it is possible to over set the pedal slightly so that it has actually lifted up slightly on one side, this could cause the wobble you are talking about, but I would need more information about the wobble, have you tried playing with the left pedal with your right foot and trying to see where the wobble is?

Old 2006-02-03, 06:37
low-tech
Post-whore

ive noticed when i play that the angle of the left foot may be to severe for the joint-rod thing and if i move it so my feet arent positioned duck style, the rebound feels better and i have less problems, i dont know of any of this may help you, but i thought id throw that out. i,too, have an issue with tightening, i'll adjust both feet real tight, then after awhile loosen them up, then tighten them again,etc. if they are too loose they arent loud, if they are too tight they are tiresome, i literally lift my foot off the pedal to stomp out rolls, this is the way i want to play, i try to play them as loud as humanly possible. my double pedal is cannibalized out of many pedals ive owns

left foot: dw 2000? i forget,old as shit dw
right foot: ascend.....also known as ass-end, the cheapest shitty double pedal ever concieved
the rod thing in the middle: one-half gibraltar that fits into the left side of the one-half dw 2000 left foot.

suprisingly this setup works ok, the thing just squeeks alot

Old 2006-02-05, 16:21
Miscarriage
New Blood

Well, the best I can come up with.. is it's a left/right shifting in the beater. When I go a certain speed, (Can't judge in BPM) it just.. shakes and makes me have to press harder against the pedal so it causes me to exert too much force, therefore I lose what energy there is. It's centered correctly as far as I can see.. And the velcro has become loose before but.. As far as I know it's on properly now. The Aux Rod is for the most part straight, if it would help I will take a picture?

Old 2006-02-06, 23:00
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

yeah a picture would help alot

Old 2006-03-26, 04:14
Mayhem
Senior Metalhead

sounds to me like its not firmly set on the ground, i think i had the same problem at one point....try taking it out and setting it back up again but make sure you set both pedals firmly on the ground this time....your bass drum could also be loose? causing the footpedals to wobble cause of it moving forward? you could also try setting a heavy object infront of your left pedal to keep it from moving forward....i know my buddy does that even though his are firmly set in the ground, it just makes them more stable