MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Drums Zone

Old 2006-01-26, 22:59
anok4uok
New Blood

question about triggers

i'm looking to get triggers for my bass drums but i understand the trigger parts that clamp...or stick on, or whatever, are hooked up to a machine that gives the bass drum the different sorts of sounds. what's that part called?

"If there existed no external means for dimming their consciences, one-half of the men would at once shoot themselves, because to live contrary to one's reason is a most intolerable state, and all men of our time are in such a state."

Leo Tolstoy

Old 2006-01-26, 23:05
sqol
Post-whore

A brain or module

The Freedom of Chaos
The Secret of The Secret
The Truth of The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undone
moonraven?....more like ass raven

Old 2006-01-26, 23:37
anok4uok
New Blood

can anyone tell me some specific modules that are good? i didn't find very many on musicians friend when i searched for modules, just some alesis ones, and their ratings for it weren't very high. i'm talking of the DM5 specifically. any nicer ones?

"If there existed no external means for dimming their consciences, one-half of the men would at once shoot themselves, because to live contrary to one's reason is a most intolerable state, and all men of our time are in such a state."

Leo Tolstoy

Old 2006-01-26, 23:47
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

Roland have some good shit, the TD-20 is the shizz nizz, but you are probably not looking at something so pricey, I would suggest a TD-6 which has some good feastures at a reasonable price!

Old 2006-01-27, 04:12
rabbifoodslicer
Supreme Metalhead

what connects the triggers to the "brain"? and then does the brain go to an amp/mixer/etc?(lineout?)

Old 2006-01-28, 00:37
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

Standard Guitar type Cables, connect your triggers to your Brain, and yep you are absolurtley right your brain goes to a line out, which could be Headphones if you are playing late at night or a 1000+ w PA system if you are playing live!

Roland do a personal PA for drum modules, it is good if you are playing a pure electronic kit!

Old 2006-01-28, 04:00
rabbifoodslicer
Supreme Metalhead

so do the cords ever get tangled up with anything while your playing? how stable are the triggers on the drums? (this of course means nothing if you dont use triggers)

Old 2006-01-28, 09:08
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

I don't use triggers, but they clip onto the rim of your drums, so as long as you tighten them up right, they are stable as anything, as for cables, you always have the triggers on the top edge of your toms and snare, so you can run all the cables in front of your kit, so they do not interfere with your playing, also I couple people I know use Cable Ties etc.

And roland for their electronic kits have a special rack where the Cables actually go inside the rack and are hidden from view.

Old 2006-01-28, 15:25
rabbifoodslicer
Supreme Metalhead

yeah ive seen those racks they have and a lot of their electronic drumsets..pretty kick ass

besides kick triggers, how do tom triggers sound? snare triggers? fake sounding or ok

Old 2006-01-28, 22:38
Ivan
New Blood

The triggers don't sound like anything. If you hooked up a trigger to a PA you would get a snap. The module can make any sound you want it to make, especially if it has a sampling capability.

Old 2006-01-29, 04:48
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

yeah what he said

you could sample a masterworks drum sound, or you could use a gunbshot, whatever tickled your fancy, although some cheaper/older modules can sound a little tacky!