MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Drums Zone

Old 2006-01-23, 15:41
bullocksfromhell
New Blood

Cool Fingering double strokes

Hey guys,
i need some help in fingering technique, i can easily play single strokes using fingers, but when it comes to doubles i have to use my wrists and i can't use my fingers!!!!! i personally think the sticks are kindda thin for me (i use 8D sticks) as my hands are kinda big, So can anyone please help me out, may be with some instructional vids.............

~~~~~~~~~HAIL METAL ARMY~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 2006-01-24, 01:04
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

okay with the double, you use WRIST AND FINGERS

you do the first hit with the wrist then controll the second stroke with your fingers, think of it as a 'Drop and Catch' motion,

Old 2006-01-24, 02:11
The Execrator
Noob lud

8D? What the fuck.

You should use your wrist with double strokes, you don't want doubles to weak. Nobody like weak sounding rolls. I don't even use fingers for single strokes anymore. I've been working on using all wrists, sounds alot better to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Please excuse me for I currently have a terminal erection, and the only cure is midget-cunny.

Old 2006-01-24, 05:05
bullocksfromhell
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Execrator
8D? What the fuck.

You should use your wrist with double strokes, you don't want doubles to weak. Nobody like weak sounding rolls. I don't even use fingers for single strokes anymore. I've been working on using all wrists, sounds alot better to me.

DUDE, BUT THE CONCEPT BEHIND USING YOUR FINGERS IS WHEN YOU ARE USING YOUR WRISTS YOU ARE MOVING YOUR HANDS WHICH CONTAIN FINGERS, SO YOU NEED MORE ENERGY AS WRIST IS MORE HEAVIER THAN FINGERS COZ (HANDS + FINGERS WEIGHT > FINGERS WEIGHT), BUT WHEN IT COMES TO USING UR FINGERS URE JUST USING YOUR FINGERS AND NOTHIN ELSE SO YOU CONSERVE A LOT OF ENERGY WHILE PLAYING SPEEDY STUFFS WHICH IS VERY ESSENTIAL ESP. IF U'RE INTO DEATHMETAL DRUMMING AND I THINK USING FINGERS CAN BE MORE FASTER THAN USING YOUR WRISTS, I TOO USED TO BLAST USING MY WRIST BUT NOW THAT I'VE STARTED TO USE MY FINGERS. BLAST BEATS ARE NO MORE PUNISHING FOR ME AND ITS MORE FASTER, LOUDER AND STEADY. AND DUDE NO I DON'T THINK USING UR FINGERS WILL MAKE YOU SOUND WEAK, TAKE FOR INSTANCE ART VERDI OR VIGIL DOANATI OR TERRI BOZIO OR METAL STARS LIKE FLO MOUNIER, DEREK RODDY , CHIS ADLER ETC THEY ALL USE THIER FINGERS. SO DUDE GIVE IT A THOUGHT.

~~~~~~~~~`HAIL METAL ARMY`~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 2006-01-24, 07:40
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

dude turn caps lock off!

the theory behind doubles is that each hit comes from a different part of your body, Eg wrist then fingers, you watch flo do doubles, Wrist-finger, do a stroke each, rather than one appendage try do both (which would be physically impossible if you are trying to do fast doubles) while fingers can be fine for playing fast etc. for metal you can just as easily use wrists, look at Mike Mangini, fastest hands in the world, I have seen the guy do 320+ bpm 16ths pure wrist motion, and I can tell you that they are loud as fuck, even etc.

Old 2006-01-24, 15:43
The Execrator
Noob lud

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullocksfromhell
DUDE, BUT THE CONCEPT BEHIND USING YOUR FINGERS IS WHEN YOU ARE USING YOUR WRISTS YOU ARE MOVING YOUR HANDS WHICH CONTAIN FINGERS, SO YOU NEED MORE ENERGY AS WRIST IS MORE HEAVIER THAN FINGERS COZ (HANDS + FINGERS WEIGHT > FINGERS WEIGHT), BUT WHEN IT COMES TO USING UR FINGERS URE JUST USING YOUR FINGERS AND NOTHIN ELSE SO YOU CONSERVE A LOT OF ENERGY WHILE PLAYING SPEEDY STUFFS WHICH IS VERY ESSENTIAL ESP. IF U'RE INTO DEATHMETAL DRUMMING AND I THINK USING FINGERS CAN BE MORE FASTER THAN USING YOUR WRISTS, I TOO USED TO BLAST USING MY WRIST BUT NOW THAT I'VE STARTED TO USE MY FINGERS. BLAST BEATS ARE NO MORE PUNISHING FOR ME AND ITS MORE FASTER, LOUDER AND STEADY. AND DUDE NO I DON'T THINK USING UR FINGERS WILL MAKE YOU SOUND WEAK, TAKE FOR INSTANCE ART VERDI OR VIGIL DOANATI OR TERRI BOZIO OR METAL STARS LIKE FLO MOUNIER, DEREK RODDY , CHIS ADLER ETC THEY ALL USE THIER FINGERS. SO DUDE GIVE IT A THOUGHT.

~~~~~~~~~`HAIL METAL ARMY`~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I can't read a sentence of that without it pissing me off. Due to the caps, im assuming everything you said was unintelligent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Please excuse me for I currently have a terminal erection, and the only cure is midget-cunny.

Old 2006-01-24, 16:35
antipunx
Senior Metalhead

none of it even makes sense

Old 2006-01-25, 17:44
Vomitor
Metalhead

He asked for advice then got mad. Pure finger doubles will never be faster than wrist/finger doubles. I figured this out the hard way. It's the same as playing guitar i.e. alternate picking. If you use only fingers and no wrists you are essentially eliminating one half of the equation. If you want strong fingers use a tensioned hand grip. Also the wrist joint is much looser than the finger joints. On top of that you you're right, there is more weight, which for blasting makes it heavier. Take Suffocation's Mike Smith for example, he uses wrists when blasting. That's why he is one of the most brutal blasters out there. You want finger blasts, listen to Hellhammer from Mayhem. Yeah it's faster, but by far weaker. A lot of drummers that use only fingers trigger their kits due to this fact.

Old 2006-01-25, 17:46
Vomitor
Metalhead

The fact is you should work on every aspect, don't limit yourself.

Old 2006-01-26, 23:05
low-tech
Post-whore

goes the same way with double bass, you got to stomp that shit for high volume and it is possible, you deffinately gas out quicker but it'll only make you stronger, tired of seeing triggered out tappers both foot and hand

Old 2006-03-04, 07:37
Grond
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullocksfromhell

oh, my god...
I wouldnt be in the mood to read all that "caps lock"-crap...^^
Why is he getting that mad if somebody wants to answer his question