MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Drums Zone

Old 2005-12-25, 16:38
For4
New Blood
Banned

Question Any Suggestions?

I'm new here, and i'm just wondering some things about drums, such as what are the best brands, least expensive sets, good sites/stores to purchase them, etc. I only started playing 3 months ago, and i need to know some more stuff about what i should get for my set. I have an Enforcer something or another, with 1 18" ride, 14" hi-hats, 3 toms (12", 14" 18"), a snare and a 22" bass drum that i bought off E-Bay. Is there something i should get that would make this set better/cooler/not dumber?
Also, what does New Blood mean?

Last edited by For4 : 2005-12-25 at 16:41.

Old 2005-12-26, 00:27
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

New blood is the first rank you acheive when you join this forum, after you post a while you get different ranks.

as for drum kits:

Pearl Export or Tama Rockstar

these give you the best quality, sound, reliable etc. for your money, they are not the cheapest kits by either companys but the little extra you pay for them is worth it, anything cheaper by a different company is a waste of money as it will be SHIT!!!

I reccomend the pearl.

Old 2005-12-26, 05:13
Timo Latvala
New Blood

Yeah, save yourself a lot of headaches and drop the extra couple hundred bucks on a Pearl Export. A 5-piece kit will usually run around $700, and usually includes all the hardware you need, plus a couple cymbal stands. Grab some decent cymbals (I'd go with Sabian B8, XS, or AA, in order of increasing price/quality) and have at it.

Old 2005-12-26, 18:14
For4
New Blood
Banned

$700? I don't have that much at this point...i'll have to save up. my set is pretty good, but i can't tune the toms and bass drum to a satisfactory key. They're either too high or too low and i can't seem to find a median that sounds good. is there an easier way to tune, like an elctronic tuner or something? Guitars and basses have those...is there something similar for an acoustic set?

Old 2005-12-26, 20:53
The Execrator
Noob lud

He already has a drum set you fucking idiots.

Heres a list in order of what to get/replace:
-New Drum heads(Kits always sound alot better with some nice drum heads. Only cost about $10-20 for tom and snare heads. About $50 for a bass drum head.)
-Pedals(For starting out, check out some pedals around the $70 range. If you want a double pedal, I wouldnt spend over $200. Tama Iron Cobras are nice.)
-Get some more cymbals(Maybe replace your hats and ride with something good. Get some crashes, a china, splash.)
Start upgrading some of your hardware. Maybe a new throne, just stuff to make your kit more comfortable.

Just trying to give you some ideas. Browse around some drum forums and look at other peoples drum setups to get some ideas also. try DerekRoddy.com and check out the forum. Theres a thread where members post their drum kits up. Also, Roddys kit is on the main website under "Gear".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Please excuse me for I currently have a terminal erection, and the only cure is midget-cunny.

Old 2005-12-26, 20:59
The Execrator
Noob lud

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ black metal drumm
anything cheaper by a different company is a waste of money as it will be SHIT!!!

You are a waste of oxygen. let me guess, is that something Derek told you?

Almost any kit will sound as good as most kits with decent drum heads.

Don't take any advice from people like this in the furture. You must build your own opinions about things.

Quote:
Please excuse me for I currently have a terminal erection, and the only cure is midget-cunny.

Old 2005-12-26, 21:29
For4
New Blood
Banned

my hi hats must be shit, because they always flip inside out when i compress them all the way and hit them. Instead of sounding like shit, they sound like double shit. I'll get a new pair.

Old 2005-12-26, 23:15
low-tech
Post-whore

yeah, any cymbal that concaves is instantly a frisbee from then on, i hate that shit

Old 2005-12-27, 01:42
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

Quote:
Almost any kit will sound as good as most kits with decent drum heads.

not if the wood that makes up the shells is total shit, good wood means a good sounding kit, bad wood means a bad sounding kit, no matter what heads you have on it, thats I why I reccomend going for the Export ALWAYS because the shells are a good thickness and good wood, which means you get a very good sound for relativley cheap, add to that the hardwar on the exports is very good quality for the price etc. is why I always make the same recomendation, don't waste time on money on a cheap kit when you can save a up a bit and get a better deal in the long run.

Quote:
He already has a drum set you fucking idiots.

so he has I read the first line and assumed (yeah yeah yeah) that he was looking to buy a kit!

Old 2005-12-28, 00:15
For4
New Blood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by low-tech
yeah, any cymbal that concaves is instantly a frisbee from then on, i hate that shit

that's hilarious...you could use them for a frisbee, i've never thought of that. I'm gonna try that, except i'll aim at someone's face. oh, sorry, uh, oh yeah, well, i don't need a new set, i just want upgrades and i'm wondering what's the cheapest for good quality, because i have a shit job (McDonald's) and i've only got $130 right now, and what i want is some cymbals, maybe some sticks, new hi-hats (death by frisbee! god, that's so cool), and possibly a splash, you know those little tiny cymbals that go SHPWAH! when you hit them.

Old 2005-12-28, 00:19
For4
New Blood
Banned

Quote:
not if the wood that makes up the shells is total shit, good wood means a good sounding kit, bad wood means a bad sounding kit, no matter what heads you have on it, thats I why I reccomend going for the Export ALWAYS because the shells are a good thickness and good wood, which means you get a very good sound for relativley cheap, add to that the hardwar on the exports is very good quality for the price etc. is why I always make the same recomendation, don't waste time on money on a cheap kit when you can save a up a bit and get a better deal in the long run.

so he has I read the first line and assumed (yeah yeah yeah) that he was looking to buy a kit!

you don't hit the wood, though, you hit the head, so a shit head means a shit sound, but i guess it makes a little difference. i don't fully understand everything about drums yet, like i said i only started in like sept. or oct.
I never said anything about buying, i asked your opinion about what are the best brands and was hoping for an answer about how good my set is and what i can get to make it better. Assume=bad Ask and then say what you were going to in accordance with the answer=good

Old 2005-12-28, 01:43
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

the wood gives the shell all its tonal qualities, including resonance, overtones, attack and decay etc. I mean a good head will do a lot for the sound, but if you have shit wood in your shells then they are always gonna sound shit, thats why with expensive kits, you get thicker shells with more wood, and different combinations of wood so that you get a well rounded sound etc. and often you will see on higher end kits woods like Birch, Maple etc. mentioned because they are more expensive and have better tonal qualities than cheaper woods.

Old 2005-12-28, 01:59
Vomitor
Metalhead

I think fiberboard shells are amazing! Mine is 7 plys (thin) all maple. The thin shell kits get the best sound. Also the heads and lugs affect the sound as well as how you hit the drum, type of sticks. The more parts and crap you have drilled and shoved into any drum will make it sound worse for the most part. You see when you strike the drum the frequency that is created bounces off of the wood inside. When something is obstructing the flow it is not good, that is unless you want to dampen the output. I still don't know exactly what qualities each wood has, but it's maybe just common sense. The thicker/harder wood shells are going to have a lot of attack and the thinner/ softer woods will have more warmth, depth, tone, what have you.

Last edited by Vomitor : 2005-12-28 at 02:06.

Old 2005-12-28, 03:46
low-tech
Post-whore

this is why i sold off my slingerland kit, the wood inside was all dried out, old. flat tone that would only really sound good with a jazz band, i sold it to a jazz drummer who was psyched. i told the dude straight up that the kit sounds like shit, still bought it

Old 2005-12-28, 14:53
For4
New Blood
Banned

my set is 7-ply maple, i think. at least that's what that asshole on e-bay said (it took him 2 months to ship it! holy crap!). Before i got it i was playing an electronic Yamaha DTXpress, which is oooooold. No varied sensitivity on the heads, no rim shots, cymbals sounded fake as the Easter Bunny, cords shorted out, it was sort of a mess, but it was what i learned the basics on. I can't even play it now because i'm used to the acoustic set, so i let my friends use my amp cause their's suck. My acoustic would destroy them.

Old 2005-12-28, 23:51
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

why'd for4 get banned?

Old 2005-12-29, 11:30
Demogorgon
Metalhead

Quote:
why'd for4 get banned?

I was looking for the answer myself too

Old 2005-12-29, 15:14
The Execrator
Noob lud

He made some stupid thread in the chit chat section.

Quote:

Old 2006-01-30, 02:51
Timo Latvala
New Blood

Woah.. A dumb thread in the chit-chat section? You're fucking kidding. Where?!