MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Drums Zone

Old 2005-11-26, 01:44
MorbidGuitar
Post-whore

George Kollias plays with his eyes closed!

I have no idea if any of you guys know of, or talked about this already but I noticed that he always has his eyes closed while he's playing. Does he SEE the music that way? It would almost make sense to

Could you imagine playing this with your eyes closed

http://www.metal-empire.it/public/k...c_cast_down.avi

Old 2005-11-26, 01:53
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

he probably doesn't play alll the time with his eyes closed, but actually playing with your eyes closed isn't as hard as it sounds, when you are used to your kit setup, your hands 'know' where everything is, consequently it is very easy to play with your eyes shut!, I know that some people when they are playing a complex rhythm they shut their eyes, so that they are not distracted by anything and can fully consentrate on the music, also it does look kinda cool to bust out a nuts passage with your eyes shut! the other good thing about playing with your eyes shut is for heabanging, because if you are headbanging, you can't see everything (well you can see a blur of everything) so playing with your eyes shut means that when you mosh you can still hit everything.

Personally though I tend to play with my eyes open whenever I play, because I like to see everyone etc. and I also like to look at what I am about to hit before I hit it (often I will glance at the toms I am gonna hit then stare at the crash or china, just before I hit it) that way I know I am gonna get a good hit, but I can and sometimes do play with my eyes shut!

Old 2005-11-26, 06:07
jimmers
Senior Metalhead

Yeah, man - it's good practice. How many times have you been playing at a gig and found yourself sweating so much your eyes sting and close themselves? Happens to me a lot so I've had to learn how to play with my eyes closed.

Or at least I did until I changed my setup, now I miss everything. But I'll learn it again, I'm sure.

Old 2005-11-26, 14:53
Unanything
Post-whore

It immense watching Kollias rip around his kit at 250bpm+, but blind?!

www.garageband.com/tranxnart
www.myspace.com/tranxnart
www.youtube.com/user/Tranxhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while fucking you in the eye. Brutal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadude
I coated the end of a toothpick with Satan's blood and simply wiped it across the top of an omelet. PERFECT!

Old 2005-11-26, 15:14
Robbie Filth
The Man Who Is, MGI.

I can play perverse suffering by cannibal corpse and alot of their songs with my eyes closed. But i'm not sure if i can do much else with my eyes closed

Old 2005-11-26, 15:26
Unanything
Post-whore

I compliment any drummer who has can play with his eyes closed and hold a intricate and filled-out pattern that uses quite a lot of his kit. Thus I nod to Kollias. Filth, you should tell Cyberwaste.

Quote:
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while fucking you in the eye. Brutal.

Quote:
I coated the end of a toothpick with Satan's blood and simply wiped it across the top of an omelet. PERFECT!

Old 2005-11-26, 17:36
John Holland
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Banned

I'm having to learn to play and vocalize at the same time, so in effect I don't have much of the luxury of looking at my instrument.

Old 2005-11-26, 22:06
low-tech
Post-whore

yeah, playing drums and singing is a little wierd, definately harder than closing your eyes

Old 2005-11-27, 11:41
Robbie Filth
The Man Who Is, MGI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unanything
Filth, you should tell Cyberwaste.

Why is this? Just out of interest.

Old 2005-11-28, 16:03
Robbie Filth
The Man Who Is, MGI.

Shit i just noticed i meant on guitar not drums

Alhtough i can play a grade one piece of drums

Old 2005-11-29, 17:46
Unanything
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Filth
Why is this? Just out of interest.

He's done Perverse Suffering. Dunno, he's just having a recording fit right now.

Quote:

Quote:

Old 2005-11-29, 18:12
Robbie Filth
The Man Who Is, MGI.

Ok cool but why would he like to know that i can play the song with my eyes closed "on guitar"

Old 2005-11-29, 18:40
Unanything
Post-whore

I thought you said drums, mon.

Quote:

Quote:

Old 2006-01-03, 23:51
xxgenocide98xx
New Blood

My drummer buddy says george is cheating in the vid, on his double bass parts, his leg moves left and right, wtf?

I noticed that guys like flo and roddy have 4 kick pedals, do they do some weird kind of beat using two of em at once one each foot?

Old 2006-01-04, 01:02
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

cheating?

fuck off!!

thats just the heel swivel technique thing that he does! it aint cheating at all, in fact it is rather cool! I have messed around with it a bit, not too good at it

and guys like roddy and flo may have 4 kick pedals, but they only have 2 kicks, the other pedals are for stuff like: Foot operated cowbells, foot operarted snare, and usually 2 sets of remote hi hats, and yes they do do lots of cool beats with them if you go to the derek forum (which is now cranking) there is a cool video explaining the kick pattern in I, Monarch, which is an 8th note pattern, but with a polyrhythm between the kicks and remote hi hats, it is very cool!

Also we currently have: George Kollias, John Longstreth annnnnd TIM WATERSON posting!

so yeah!

Old 2006-09-21, 02:15
MorbidGuitar
Post-whore

Try more like 6 foot pedals.

Dereks kit for example:
http://derekroddy.com/interactive_kit.jpg