MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Drums Zone

Old 2005-08-06, 22:39
kin
Senior Metalhead

Considering slightly switching over.

Alright. I wish I would have made the descison to do this instead of choosing guitar by now, but, I am considering picking up the sticks and playing drums. My only fear is the time it takes to actually become a "decent" drummer. I have played guitar for about a year now, and consider myself somewhat decent. How long would you have said it had taken you to become a decent drummer?

Old 2005-08-07, 06:52
crispykid
Senior Metalhead

my bassist did this, he just did it actually. it takes time and patience just start from the beggining and work your way up. practice like a motherfucker.

Old 2005-08-07, 07:05
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Do it. I have been playing guitar since I was 7. I'm now 27, so I don't think I will ever be completely comfortable with anything else. I will get a drum set soon as I plan to teach my little girl how to play them, if she doesn't decide to get a hold of my guitars as well. Either way I got another kid on the way so my chances of getting a drummer are good Thing is I got to learn how to play drums a bit in order to teach, but you know kids. They will learn everything I know and then learn more then I would have ever hoped to know.

Old 2005-08-07, 07:36
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

if you think like a drummer, and can be creative with what you do, You can become pretty decent rather quickly, but if you aren't creative, it takes longer to be good.

this is purely because if you aren't creative all your fills will sound like shit.

and also it depends what genre of metal you are trying to play, Death metal it takes a LONG time to be good, simply because you have to practice lots and have to get your endurance up to a VERY high standard to be good.

Old 2005-08-07, 20:24
The Execrator
Noob lud

I'd say it took half a year to get "decent" and a year to get "good". I really didnt know how good i was untill one of my friends came over and tried playing. Which was after about 2 years of playing. So my guesses are rough.
ive been playing for 4+ years now and i would say im pretty good. But its hard to know how good you are. I think i suck yet my friends think im awesome. Hell, Derek Roddy even thinks he sucks(he posted it on his forum)As a drummer, you always know what you can and cant do, and it pisses you off.
But it all depends on how much you practice. You can get good within months(Like me ) or it may take a couple of years(*cough* Transient *cough*). Hopfully i helped more here than our aim conversation, hah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Please excuse me for I currently have a terminal erection, and the only cure is midget-cunny.

Old 2005-08-07, 23:43
Transient
HES BAAACK

hahaha

what are you talking about justin? i pick up a sticks and become a drummer roddy can only dream about

sadly, those dreams are nightmares.

Old 2005-08-08, 00:35
The Execrator
Noob lud

Haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Please excuse me for I currently have a terminal erection, and the only cure is midget-cunny.

Old 2005-08-08, 08:45
crispykid
Senior Metalhead

well i dont even drum i just mess around on friends sets and im pretty decent. i can blast, do pretty fast double bass(leg and ancle) all that shit. my fills aint the greatest but i havent really played for anytime and im decent. maybe i got the natural insticnt or something. my friend is getting better i have to slow him down on double bass too.

Old 2005-08-10, 03:12
kin
Senior Metalhead

Thanks much for the into. For the fills thing; I can "imagine" them in my head I guess. I would pretty much be playing thrashish stuff with alot of double bass if I drummed.

Old 2005-08-10, 14:38
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

One more point, you can't really put a time stamp on it, it depends on your focus, ability, dedication, passion and how much you practice. I've been playing for a year and a half and I reckon I'm crap (and I have bad stagefright, so I can't play in front of others to let them judge me). Also, if you played guitar, it would have given you somewhat of a head start, I know of a gutiarist who switched after 7 years and after 8 months of playing he kicks my ass (but he's really tense when he plays and looks exhausted afterwards). Metal is fucking demanding, so it can take awhile.

Old 2005-08-11, 08:06
crispykid
Senior Metalhead

yeah you got a really good point. my newly changed drummer tends to go with the guitar to much so i have to settle him down.

Old 2005-08-11, 09:38
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

Yeah I forgot to add if you transition from another instrument USUALLY this goves you an advantage, you have the basic musician skills (time keeping performing etc.) and guitarists use their wrists alot so they also have an advantage.