MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Drums Zone

Old 2005-07-26, 03:50
feetunderwarpath
Metalhead

Why drummers are on a platform (I'm not a drummer)

I'm not a drummer but I'm curious as to why drummers are usually elevated on some kind of platform.

Love is for the weak, religion is for the blind.

Old 2005-07-26, 04:07
Corpsevomit98
Post-whore

I always thought that they are raised at shows is so that everyone can see them so they arent just "in the back."

Old 2005-07-26, 04:10
feetunderwarpath
Metalhead

Yeah that's what I thoght too but I've seen bands do it while just having practice in a garage or something.

Love is for the weak, religion is for the blind.

Old 2005-07-26, 05:09
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

that is one thing, but it is also for sound resons, I am not a sound person, but I think it gives the drums better projection, especially if it un miced.

Also it looks cool for the drummer.

and at bigger venues, they often have the drummers kit fully setup on a movable trolley and so they just roll that out and leave the kit on it, hence why it is raised, because of the trolley.

Old 2005-07-26, 05:46
John Holland
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Banned

Ground vibrations 'carry more' than just aural sound vibrations. If you have a true-garage band, the neighbors will feel you more than they can hear you, and hence they will call the cops, so bands tend to do anything they can ( i.e. prop up drums on risers) to reduce vibrations. Also in venues, it makes managing on-stage sound easier, to have as little vibration as possible.

Old 2005-07-27, 10:27
jimmers
Senior Metalhead

I much prefer playing on a stage or riser of some sort because you can feel the bass vibrate through your arse so much better. We practice in a church hall (hardcore, eh?) with a concrete tiled floor and it's fucking horrible - you've got virtually no idea what you sound like.

Old 2005-12-25, 15:58
Timo Latvala
New Blood

Because no one ever takes pictures of the drummer.

Got to sneak us in those pictures somehow.

Old 2005-12-25, 16:44
For4
New Blood
Banned

Maybe some random band just did that and it looked cool, so everyone did it. I think it's cool, because drummers don't get nearly as much recognition as the guitarists or singers, because people don't care, and that's not right.

Old 2005-12-26, 00:30
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

its actuall the drummers have huge penis's so we are on a drum riser so the singer/bassist/guitarist don't tread on it, you ever tried to keep time when some is treading on your vitals????

Old 2005-12-26, 06:00
low-tech
Post-whore

i definately helps the sound and gives the drummer some presense, not being buried behind in the back and stuff

Old 2005-12-26, 06:17
antipunx
Senior Metalhead

another thing is so they can have eye contact with the other dudes in he band since they are sitting their head is alot lower than that of someone standing i.e. guitar players and such

Old 2006-01-03, 23:25
xxgenocide98xx
New Blood

Placing the drums on a riser will decrease the amount a set resonates. It will generally make the kick sound better as well as decreasing the volume outside of your practice room, ie, the rest of your damn house/neighborhood.

by lifting the drumset up it also increases projection of the kick, which makes it more audiable if your drummer is kind of quiet or your band is really loud.

The reason it does this is because if you notice, when you have someone grasp a drum and hold it, the drum doesn't sound for as long, thusly it has a decreased resonation. Also, the person holding it will feel it, now if you put something between the person and the drum, like some foam, a sweater, etc, they feel it less. Now if you imagine your garage or basement floor as the person grasping the drum, you can apply the same concept. By raising the drums up off the floor it adds a bit of space for the resonation to sort of 'wash away' before it goes to the cement floor and shakes your whole house! thusly, dissapating the vibrations, much like a heat sink on a computer graphics card or something.

but beware, platforms can doom your drummer! Make sure he doesn't step off and break a leg!

Last edited by xxgenocide98xx : 2006-01-03 at 23:28.