MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Drums Zone

Old 2005-07-14, 05:58
McCalister999
Senior Metalhead

New to drums

I'm looking to start playing drums, but I don't have much money to start off with. I recently found a 5-piece with cymbals by Century for only $200. Good deal? cheap shit? any help would be greatly appreciated, I have no idea what I'm doing.

Old 2005-07-14, 07:49
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

Ok, if you can't afford any better, go for the cheap shit, honestly. It might sound atrocious and be completely unupgradeable, but it will get you started so when you do have money you can get a better kit. The worst thing that happens to cheap shit kits is either the cymbals turn inside out and become unuseable (pretty much all cheap cymbals do that) or some of the hardware breaks, most often the pedals. Most cheap bass drum pedals are atrocious. Just play it and see if the pedal is somewhat smooth, doesn't make any noise and doesn't require too much effort to use.

If you can afford it, get a Tama Swingstar or Rockstar, and there is a Pearl series kit around the same price range worth checking out but I don't recall the name because I'm not big on Pearl.

Some small advice - buy yourself a nice set of sticks like Vic Firths because they last a long time, cheap shit sticks will break too soon, cause blisters and and get some earplugs to save your ears, and get a teacher and a metronome.

What sucks about learning drums is that it can be very expensive, but if you're good at shopping around you can save some money.

Old 2005-07-14, 08:57
Midwinter-Gates
Metalhead

Look for the book Stick Control in stores. It's almost a must for any drummer. Has alot of rudiments and stuff to get your hands up to pair.

But I recon a cheap kit would suit for a beginner. That's what I bought when I started 2 years ago, and it still lasts today
(Tama Swingstar for those who care)

Tho you should buy a metronome and that book I mentioned, I regret I didn't buy it at first, instead I just joined a friends band right away and just played coversongs and a few of our own, so I still today lack in some departments.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you choose to do, drumming is hell alot of fun thats for sure

Old 2005-07-14, 09:45
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

Okay: Century is cheap shit, period.

If you are serious, I would recommend (as I always do) that you save your money and buy something decent, I recomend a Pearl Export set, have a look round the online Auction places, you can usually pick up a sweet deal on a 2nd hand slightly used Pearl Export rather than pay 200 for a peice of shit (and believe me Century is the epitome of shitness)

also as has been mentioned A metronome, a decent pair of sticks and a practice pad.

but whatever you do don't listen to these poor fools, Tama is the dark side, steer clear and go for Pearl.

(actually Tama is fine, I just muchly prefer Pearl) but yeah a Tama Swingstar or Rockstar or the Pearl Export series are pretty damn good begginer kit.

Old 2005-07-14, 23:24
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

Midwinter-Gates:Tama Swingstar is actually a decent kit foo, especially tuned well and re-skined, because it's mahogany. The worst part about it is the pedal that comes with it, and the fact that the tom arm penetrates so deeply into the bass drum and everything is so drilled. Which version have you got? The one with the wooden snare or the metalic snare? Is the floor tom suspended?

McCalister999: Don't forget to check out Mapex, they have some decent kits at great prices, if you can afford it, Mapex Pro M is a fucking great metal kit, and it's not a beginer kit but a decent, giggable kit. Mapex are great, you can buy a pro quality kit from them at the price of a mid-range Tama or Pearl kit.

You might also want to shop around for cymbals afterwards, because cymbals that come with a kit are most often shitty shit shit. Anatolian and Bosphorus are handmade in Turkey and are affordable and kickass, while Sabian and Zildjian are a lot more known and have a wider variety. Paiste are good, but expencive and some hard hitting people break them a lot easier.

Old 2005-07-15, 03:42
McCalister999
Senior Metalhead

Thanks for all the help! I hope to be joining the world of drums shortly.