MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Drums Zone

Old 2005-06-18, 02:26
The Execrator
Noob lud

The Cymbal Thread

I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread all about cymbals. Come in here to share opinions, ask any questions about cymbals, or anything to do with cymbals at all. I'll just share some info.
Alot of people think that one major cymbal company is better than the other. Well think of drums. Tama, Pearl, and Sonor. They all make quality drums. Each company has different drums with different sounds for different purposes. Just like cymbals. Say Sabian, Zildjian, and Paiste. None are better than the other really, its all about preference. So theres really no point asking which brand you should go for. Try them all out, see what sounds you like best.

Another thing is sound. Say you hear a certain cymbal played by a drummer, you like it so you order one. Chances are it wont said the same as theres. Stick tips, and environments all effect the sound of the cymbal. If you try a cymbal out in a store, buy it, then put it on your kit, it will sound somewhat different also. Say a cymbal you try out has alot of overtones. The overtones will most likely fade when you play it with your kit due to more sounds when you play. Happend when i got my ride. But yeah, hopefully I helped at least one person out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Please excuse me for I currently have a terminal erection, and the only cure is midget-cunny.

Old 2005-06-18, 03:09
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

Zildjian for life.

I like the sound of their Crashes in particular, I have had bad experiances with Sabian Splashes, although the Sabian ride I have is nice and thick and is pretty nice. as for Paiste, my china is a paiste and I like it, but overall my 17" A custom crash is the nicest cymbal in my small collection.

That said AA meinl are pretty good too, I have a ride from them that it is quite nice, I rarely use it though, cause I don't have the stands for them but when I do I quite like it, it has a huuuuge bell which is reallllly nice, but its downside is, it is very quiet, but it is still nice.

Old 2005-06-18, 03:18
The Execrator
Noob lud

Yeah, I only play Sabians. I started out with them and its the only company I really researched. Ohh yeah, I forgot to say something else. Make sure you educate yourself before you go to buy some cymbals. You would want to know what your doing. For example, you go to a store and see a cymbal at a decent price, buy it, then go home and see its a budget cymbal that you paid way to much for. I bought a damn Sabian B8 splash a while ago for like $60 used when i should have only paid like $30...Go to some sites and request a catalog to learn more about their cymbals. I know Sabian offers a catalog with lots of good info. If you go to sabian.com, theres a page somewhere to order a catalog for free, go do it.

Quote:
Please excuse me for I currently have a terminal erection, and the only cure is midget-cunny.

Old 2005-06-18, 03:29
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Now I'm a guitarist but I have a question that I would like to know. Are all cymbals of the same make and model the same? I have played guitars and amps that are the same make and model but they have diffences qualities and sounds per item.

Some drummers I know seem to have a supernatural ideal about certain peices of gear.

Old 2005-06-18, 04:02
low-tech
Post-whore

since my rides are all dying im starting to open up to new concepts for my setup, i always got 20" zil rides for years,i think cymbal marketing is kinda BS but there is merit to having an array of different ones. so ideally i want a ziljian avedis<i forget the spelling>24" with a big bell<that is if they make one like that> for ultimate ping and use the edge as a counterpoint being a deep,deep crash sound

for hihats ive come to grips with 14" scimitars for now, the 20"s were good for underside hitting but the openning/closing effect just doesnt have the same response in feel and sound so yeah i want a china or trash cymbal as the bottom for underside hits and a normal 14 or 15 as a top, im gonna look into what brand soon. im still working on getting all kevlar heads first

but overall i get zildjians, prefer my 20" zildjian rock ride to the other sabian AAmedium/heavy 20" i got, sabian seems to have more shimmer than ping, which makes it seem like a big crash. zildjian rides have a hard ping with the just the right resonance,usually

Old 2005-06-18, 04:21
The Execrator
Noob lud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulinsane
Now I'm a guitarist but I have a question that I would like to know. Are all cymbals of the same make and model the same? I have played guitars and amps that are the same make and model but they have diffences qualities and sounds per item.

Some drummers I know seem to have a supernatural ideal about certain peices of gear.

Yeah, no cymbal will sound exactly the same. If thats what you mean.

Quote:

Old 2005-06-18, 04:32
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Thanks Some believe differently. Now I have ground to correct them from ordering whatever online.

Old 2005-06-18, 04:53
The Execrator
Noob lud

Yeah, its sortof a gamble ordering cymbals online.

Quote: