MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Drums Zone

Old 2005-05-26, 22:30
shimbolla
Senior Metalhead

About the hole in some bass drums

I hope this isn't too dumb of an idea to have an entire thread about...
I know some drummers cut a hole in the canvas/head/whatever of the bass drum so they can put a mic on a boom stand in it. How do you cut the hole? And is it a bad idea to make that hole even if the drums aren't usually amplified?
(and unless you guys think its a good idea, I won't make the hole. I know it effects the sound if theres no amplification -- though I'm not sure whether it makes it better or worse.)

Old 2005-05-26, 22:33
Wakeness
Senior Metalhead

Old 2005-05-26, 23:32
The Execrator
Noob lud

I like the sound better with the hole in it. My old set had a hole in the head but my pearl kit doesnt. I have to cut holes in mine. Go to your local music store and ask one of the drum guys about cutting a hole in them. They make things to help you do it. Also, the sound is good without mics. Your not risking anything. Besides, it can always be replaced if you mess up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Please excuse me for I currently have a terminal erection, and the only cure is midget-cunny.

Old 2005-05-27, 09:32
low-tech
Post-whore

i do it concert style<no back heads> with my bass and mounted tom, i like the flat 60's sound of drumsets

my mounted in tuned low and is an old thick head that i try to match as much as possible with my bass to make double bass sounds, this is why im a single bass player

i dont know much about the actual process of cutting a hole, maybe use one of those things,little fold up metal instruments with a needle on one end and has a pencil attached to the other end, make a circle<used for drafting, i forget the things name>then use a boxcutter real carefully after you got a circle outlined. thats just off the top of my head, im sure someone made a tool that cuts nice holes by now

why not cut a triangle? or a square? just use a ruler,a marker and a sharp blade you can pretty much cut any shape out as long as you outline the thing first like it was a tattoo

edit: i just read that sight about cutting a hole, the dude gets all mathematical and shit, just get one of those things i explained before. i think they sell loop rings for the hole too

Last edited by low-tech : 2005-05-27 at 09:42.

Old 2005-05-27, 10:26
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

Square and triangle holes would tear at the corners, circles are the easiest to measure and they don't tear as much, and even with circular holes you sometimes need metal protector rings for them.

That site is quite good, and the guy is an expert, so read everything and take it to heard from that link. I have that link in my sig too.

Old 2005-05-27, 16:22
The Execrator
Noob lud

Where have you been lately? Playing blast beats i hope?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Please excuse me for I currently have a terminal erection, and the only cure is midget-cunny.

Old 2005-05-28, 08:16
low-tech
Post-whore

ya'll really tighten that up enough that it'll tear if you did some wierd shape, i mean if so i stand corrected,but i always assumed everyone tunes the bass low anyhow, especially that back head