Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Drums Zone

Old 2005-04-30, 20:07
The Execrator
Noob lud

It's finally here!!!

Well i dont know how long theyve had it but oh well
here it is
Ok, now all you guys(and girls) that have you hi-hat pedal extremely far away from your left bass drum pedal can easily eliminate that problem.

Old 2005-04-30, 22:42
jimmers
Senior Metalhead

Yeah, I bought a used one off eBay a few months ago. The dude I got it off didn't know how old it was - he thought 80s some time - and reckoned they didn't make them any more. It's not exactly the same as that one, but is Pearl.
Handy as hell because it allowed me to take 2 legs off my hihat stand, and we then got only gigs supporting acts that use a single kick/double pedal (which I hate), so I've hardly ever used it.

Anyway, I'd recommend buying one if you find it uncomfortable to have your hats half way out in the car park. Apart from anything, it's so effortless to move your left foot from one pedal to the other when they're snugly fitted next to eachother.

Old 2005-05-01, 00:02
The Execrator
Noob lud

Yeah, i love having my left pedal right next to my hi hat. You can also do some cool effects. When im playing double bass i'll sometimes put my left foot on both pedals at the same time. You can do some pretty cool stuff.

Old 2005-05-01, 00:32
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

I have mine now, oh my god, no more unsightlye hi hat reaching!!!! I can play my hi hat because it is right 'there' ahhhhhhh my preciousssss

Old 2005-05-01, 00:38
The Execrator
Noob lud

So your saying you got it?

Old 2005-05-01, 02:15
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

yep, I was gonna get a gibralter one but my local drum shop had a pearl one in so I grabbed it, I am very happy, can give a full review if you want.

Old 2005-05-01, 03:04
The Execrator
Noob lud

Go ahead.

Old 2005-05-01, 04:49
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

Okay:

Overall, I give this product 8.5/10

it was a bit pricey for what it does, in NZ I had to pay around $120 NZD for it, but overall I would still say it is worth the money. It is a great aid to HI hat setup, particulaly with my left bass drum, However I did encounter a few problems with attaching the hi hat to the clamp, as I have my hats very low and I wanted the leg stands all the way do I could get my hi hat as close to the bass drum and therefore my kick pedal as possible, however because of my strange hi hat setup, this was not possible because there was no where for me to attach the clamp to the hi hat, I therefore had to bring the legs down abit to allow the clamp to attach, and even this took a while because I had to attach it to the trunk of the hi hat and not the adjustable sleeve (which is thinner) so I had to almost completely undo the clamp, Once these issues where addressed and I got it to the right position everything was very good, and it performed beautifully, it held my hi hat tight, and in a much better position than before, and enabled me to do some hi hat left bass work that was previously un doable (without being a contortionist). overall a very good product, although I am thinking of Doing what Xplora did (on the Derek Roddy forum) and removing my hi hat legs so I do not encounter the problems I outlined above.

there you go.

Old 2005-05-01, 09:25
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

Ok, that is great, I have to reach a lot too and lean backwards and it's shitful. Awesome man.

Old 2005-05-01, 22:44
The Execrator
Noob lud

BC, i thought you had a double pedal?

Old 2005-05-02, 04:32
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

she does.

Old 2005-05-02, 05:35
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

Indeed, but even if I am not one of the kvlt posse people of the 2 bass drum circle I still have my hi hats in a bad place and putting them somewhere convenient would be awesome.

Old 2005-05-02, 09:47
jimmers
Senior Metalhead

If mine is anything to go by, I doubt you'd find it any use with a single bass. They do adjust, but not enough to reach much more than 3 or 4 inches away from the bass drum edge. Unless you have your hats virtually in front of your snare, I suppose - but I doubt that's very convenient.

It also depends how much you value your open hat stuff. Personally I make a lot of use of it because that's the way I started to play and I'm still not that keen a double bass drummer. If you don't use it much, or even if you want to just have it closed for some chunks of songs and open for others, you might be better off spending the same amount on a drop clutch or even an X-hat.

Old 2005-05-02, 11:03
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

I like my new setup more because it allows me to play 2 handed hi hat stuff a FUCKLOAD easier, before I was reaching right to my left (hahahaha bad choice of words) and with a gap of about 30-40 cm between my hi hat and snare, and I have my hats LOW (about equal to snare height otherwise thet hit my toms) which makes doing any 2 handed hi hat work real difficult, now my hi hat is about the 11 o clock position and quite close to my snare, still low but in a much more comfortable position which allows me to play 2 handed stuff with ease.

as for the whole open closed hi hat part, I am not toooo bothered with that as most of the time I am doing some sort of double bass thing, although when I get bet I do intend to incoporate that into my playing while double kicking, just gotta get my Heel toeing up to par so I can chop and change, getting close but not there yet.

Old 2005-05-03, 19:00
The Execrator
Noob lud

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenCrimson
Indeed, but even if I am not one of the kvlt posse people of the 2 bass drum circle I still have my hi hats in a bad place and putting them somewhere convenient would be awesome.

I have a double pedal and i have my hi hat pedal right next to my left bass drum pedal. Well now i have an iron cobra hi hat stand which only has 2 legs in the back which makes it possible to put it next to my pedal. But back when i had a hi hat stand with 3 legs, i just put my hi hat pedal right next to my bass drum pedal by putting the right leg over my left bass drum pedal. Hopfully that makes since.