MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Drums Zone

Old 2004-10-17, 22:35
The Execrator
Noob lud

Derek Roddy instructional video

For the people who have the video or have seen it, what type of stuff does he do on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Please excuse me for I currently have a terminal erection, and the only cure is midget-cunny.

Old 2004-10-18, 04:39
corroded
Post-whore

the one i've seen has him just playing...its not much of an "instructional" video. he's a madman !!! \m/

Old 2004-10-18, 08:14
Cloaca
C-Un(i)t
Forum Leader

Loads of blasting, one handed drum fills up and down the toms and he's got a snake in the background....

Old 2004-10-18, 09:06
BeastOfCarrion
Pokémon Master

as well as a masssive Jar-Jar Binks!
he mainly talks about exercises, i.e. left hand, left foot, right hand right foot, then left hand right foot, right ahand left for, then alternate, that sort of thing
(x.x) (> <)
Somebody has decapitated an innocent rabbit, can Abbath solve this crime before more innocent bunnies are hurt?

Old 2004-10-18, 15:06
BOSE
Senior Metalhead

You are dumb than a pile of dog shit. Derek only triggers his bass drums due to the fact that it's impossible to make two bass drums sound the same.

You really have no clue what triggers really do.

Old 2004-10-18, 22:29
BOSE
Senior Metalhead

No I'm afraid your wrong due to the fact that I have met him on more than one occasion and he himself live only triggers the bass drums I have seen it with my own eyes and heard it with my own ears. Interviews only tell you so much of what they really say most of it is spliced together to be taken a certain way, you can't trust everything you read.

Fact is wether you have a teacher who mic's their shit or triggers it they are still teaching you the basic rudamentary stuff. Same shit mic's are just the analog way of projecting drums, triggers are the digital way but with more options. You still have to make the motion to get the right sound. You can't argue with me on this one either my friend I have triggers. So I win.

Old 2004-10-19, 19:56
The Execrator
Noob lud

I read about him only saying he triggers his bass drums, but you might be right about him recomending triggering snares. I dont see anything wrong with using triggers because some drummers are so fast, they need triggers on their bass drums to be able to get the sound out like derrek and raymond herrera from fear factory. I can see both sides of the story. Yes, you can say triggers are kind of like cheating because no matter how hard you hit it, it can make the same noise. But the other side, its still the drummer hitting the drum everytime you heard a noise.

Quote:
Please excuse me for I currently have a terminal erection, and the only cure is midget-cunny.

Old 2004-10-20, 20:40
The Execrator
Noob lud

It's just him giving techneques for death metal drumming so I don't see anything wrong with it. He says he triggers so people can hear his bass drums when he plays.

Quote:

Old 2004-10-21, 00:07
Innards-Decay
Post-whore

who cares... lets just all compromise on this... Derek Roddy will kick your ass. end of story.

Old 2004-10-21, 06:46
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

There is a different problem with triggering for volume - touch responce. What if you want to alternate between soft and loud bits but only loud notes come out because of the triggers? Triggers cut down the essential volume control, which makes the drums sound "alive" in the first place.

Old 2004-10-21, 08:02
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

then you get the triggers that enable a degree of volume controll (can't remember who did them or what their fancy name was) it eliminates the extremes, so you can go a bit soft or a bit loud but not real loud or real soft.

but in metal this is seldom required, I mean Ghost notes etc. are cool to do, but are seldom used effectivly in metal, in jazz or funk it is a completly different story, but in those styles you seldom are going at speeds, or doing things that require triggers (like double bass)

Old 2004-10-21, 18:57
BOSE
Senior Metalhead

Death Metal doesn't have dynamics for shit, and nor should it. It should be pummeling at all times. so fuck dynamics they are for jazz/fusion pussies.

And fuck Dave Culross he plays drums for The Berserker and he does trigger his shit with them, not to mention his lack of creativity.

Old 2004-10-21, 19:48
DnL
New Blood

hmm... start own topic for trigger fight ure all talking off-topic atm

Starting a Black Metal Project in Januar 2005

Old 2004-10-21, 23:24
Innards-Decay
Post-whore

it should have dynamics yes... but drums dont really need dynamics in death metal mainly because of whats being churned out these days. Most of the bands around either are playing at breakneck speed or moderatley slow, there is no middle ground. And death metal should always be fucking heavy and loud, so i guess unless youre trying some experimental stuff, dynamics arent really needed.

Old 2004-10-22, 22:16
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

Oh no. Dynamics are for EVERYONE. Having something too loud or too soft might mean that instruments won't be heard, if the drums are too loud there will be no bass heard, for one. Abandoning simple things like dynamics for the sake of heaviness is stupid. Think Darkthrone and other "trad" black metal bands who deliberately have bad production of the sake of heaviness. It's not a very good experience, so the same goes for abandoning dynamics . Let's make it heavy because of it's good sound and not because of sloppy balancing.

Old 2004-10-23, 00:16
Innards-Decay
Post-whore

i didnt mean it like that. Put it at a reasonable volume and leave it there, mixing properly is good, but normally, each instrument has its own frequencies that shouldnt be invaded.

Old 2004-10-23, 11:03
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

Not necesarilly, some instruments like drums and bass (low and low mid), keyboards and guitar (mid and high) have similar frequencies which can invade each other, drums being specifically invasive. Dynamics should never be downplayed.

Old 2004-10-23, 19:00
Innards-Decay
Post-whore

fuck keyboards anyway, the only band i like that uses keyboards is emporer, but yeah, you are right, some instruments do invade eachother, but since the main instruments in Death Metal are guitar and drums, shouldnt those be loudest?

Old 2004-11-28, 20:14
The Execrator
Noob lud

Yes, but i hate when i cant hear the bass at all. This thread kicks ass.

Quote:

Old 2004-11-28, 21:18
Innards-Decay
Post-whore

Meh, the bass is probably the most neglected instrument in death metal.

Old 2004-11-30, 22:11
The Execrator
Noob lud

yes

Quote:

Old 2004-12-01, 06:02
GuitarDrummer87
New Blood

Bass is probably the most neglected instrument in all music.

Old 2004-12-01, 21:13
The Execrator
Noob lud

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarDrummer87
Bass is probably the most neglected instrument in all music.

Ya i know, you cant hear bass at all in jazz music. I sometimes wonder if jazz has bass at all.

Quote:

Old 2004-12-01, 23:57
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

I guess it's subliminal, you just know when there is no bass. Also, it gets drowned out by the bass drums. Blastbeats are the major bass killers.

Old 2004-12-02, 01:18
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

Blast beats are Kvlt

Old 2004-12-02, 01:46
Innards-Decay
Post-whore

This thread is SOOOOOO closed.

Old 2004-12-02, 20:31
The Execrator
Noob lud

Yes, it will be when The Doctor comes in for his once a week check up in the drum forum.

Quote:

Old 2004-12-02, 22:19
Innards-Decay
Post-whore

Yeah so lets fuck it up with random shit.

Old 2004-12-09, 23:58
The Execrator
Noob lud

Derek's first drum video is now completed and ready to ship. The running time is approximately 45 minutes. This first video contains excercises that will help you gain endurance, strength, and speed. There is a daily 30 minute workout for your hands and feet. Also, there are four exercises that are designed for cleaning up your double bass and blast beats. Each video will contain a worksheet with each exercise written out and suggested tempo for each. The video will also have a few solos for you to check out.

AVAILABILITY

Format: SPECIFY either VHS, or Video CD (VCD)**

** Playable in most PC CD-ROM drives using any player software that supports Video CD, or from within Windows Media Player. Also playable in home DVD players that support playback of both CD-R/CD-RW and the Video CD format.

Price: $30.00 US Dollars within the UNITED STATES, $35.00 US Dollars REST OF WORLD

All those interested in purchasing a copy send a MONEY ORDER or CASHIER'S CHECK only! Do not send cash. All payments must be in US funds and payable to DEREK RODDY.

Mail to:
Derek Roddy's Drum Video #1
P.O. Box 814
Deerfield Beach, FL 33443
USA

Also include your address and some information about yourself (how long you've been playing, age, drum kit set up, etc.) for my personal records! Thank you for your interest.

-Derek

Thats all the info on the hate eternal site. It was posted over 2 years ago though so i dont know.

Quote:

Old 2004-12-10, 01:24
Innards-Decay
Post-whore

you could probably just email him asking about whats up with the drum video.

Old 2004-12-12, 22:21
The Execrator
Noob lud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innards-Decay
you could probably just email him asking about whats up with the drum video.

I emailed him right after that post. I'll post what it says when he emails me back(if he emails me back).

Quote:

Old 2004-12-12, 22:49
Innards-Decay
Post-whore

cool then

Old 2004-12-13, 18:05
The Execrator
Noob lud

shit, i just read on his forum that the first video is out of print. I think the second one is out now though. Go to his forum for more info.

Quote:

Old 2005-01-10, 22:20
Spinesplitter
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamb of god\m/
shit, i just read on his forum that the first video is out of print. I think the second one is out now though. Go to his forum for more info.

The new video is still in the work's.

Just to let you guy's know Roddy is one of my best bud's and he play's all kind's of styles of music from Jazz to Salsa and is a very dynamic player when playing death metal he usually only mic's the bass drum's as most of you noted.

Derek

Old 2005-01-10, 22:26
Spinesplitter
Metalhead

I just talked to Derek and the 1st video is still available just got to www.derekroddy.com for ordering instructions and the 2nd video will be out before June.

Derek

Old 2005-01-11, 12:10
The Execrator
Noob lud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinesplitter
I just talked to Derek and the 1st video is still available just got to www.derekroddy.com for ordering instructions and the 2nd video will be out before June.

Derek

where do you find the ordering info

Quote:

Old 2005-01-13, 02:22
The Execrator
Noob lud

Haha, Derek just sent me a message saying that the video is still available, so if any of you want to order it, the info on the last page is correct. I sent in a check last month and he said he was on break for the holidays so he dident get a chance to send it. He said it was mailed earlier in the week. So when i get it, i will post what i think of it.

Quote:

Old 2005-01-25, 00:04
The Execrator
Noob lud

I now have it and will post what i think of it. My first thought when watching the first drum solo: "HOLY SHIT!!!!!". This guy is insane. I would recomend anyone that wants to improve their blast beats and double bass to order the video now.

Quote:

Old 2005-02-06, 01:46
SixfeetUnder420
Senior Metalhead

I just ordered the video yesterday. I can't wait for it to get here. Does anyone that has ordered the video know how long it takes to arrive?

Old 2005-02-07, 21:00
The Execrator
Noob lud

On the site it said about 4-6 weeks i belive. When i ordered mine, he was away for the holiday season so i didnt get it for a little later. Dont wait at your mail box like everyday waiting for it, because most likely, it will be a few weeks.

Quote:

Old 2005-02-08, 00:14
SixfeetUnder420
Senior Metalhead

Ok thanks.

Old 2005-02-08, 20:08
Lord.Worm
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Execrator
I now have it and will post what i think of it. My first thought when watching the first drum solo: "HOLY SHIT!!!!!". This guy is insane. I would recomend anyone that wants to improve their blast beats and double bass to order the video now.

I´m improving, man, I´m improving .
but I dont use this rrrrllllrrrrrrrrlllllllll etc. exercise...I´m also improving my anklemovement etc.

Old 2005-02-24, 15:03
LorAD
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixfeetUnder420
I just ordered the video yesterday. I can't wait for it to get here. Does anyone that has ordered the video know how long it takes to arrive?

I am living in germany and it took 7 Month till it arrived

The Videos on the CD are great to watch and evry entertaining but the tips are not that special.

Old 2006-04-06, 00:29
The_Bodom_King
New Blood

can somone give me a link to a torrent or site where i can download it?

Old 2006-04-06, 00:40
Mayhem
Senior Metalhead

derek is an amazing drummer, i should order this video...but im broke...

"Comin' for you we're the cowboys from hell"

Old 2006-04-18, 20:41
Young Drummer
Metalhead

still cant find it on any torrent type thing or on soulseek

Old 2006-05-02, 00:42
MorbidGuitar
Post-whore

go here to check out his videos (and a couple streaming solos from his instuctional video) sorry, dont mean to post a different forum link here but its easier then typing it out again...

http://metalmedia.proboards33.com/i...read=1131915315

Theres actually over 100 drum videos from various metal drummers, derek is at the top of the list.

Old 2006-05-23, 18:36
Unanything
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innards-Decay
who cares... lets just all compromise on this... Derek Roddy will kick your ass. end of story.

HAHAHA! Yeah...

As old as the post is.

www.garageband.com/tranxnart
www.myspace.com/tranxnart
www.youtube.com/user/Tranxhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while fucking you in the eye. Brutal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadude
I coated the end of a toothpick with Satan's blood and simply wiped it across the top of an omelet. PERFECT!

Old 2006-05-24, 13:57
Bones98
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSE
Death Metal doesn't have dynamics for shit, and nor should it. It should be pummeling at all times. so fuck dynamics they are for jazz/fusion pussies.

And fuck Dave Culross he plays drums for The Berserker and he does trigger his shit with them, not to mention his lack of creativity.

Dave Culross is a great drummer. He didnt an excellent job in Malevolent Creation's Eternal album. I dont think the drums were triggered on that album and it sounded fucking great. Very intense, fast and tight.

Old 2006-06-09, 02:27
MorbidGuitar
Post-whore

new derek roddy jazz video added to my list of drum vids

http://metalmedia.proboards33.com/i...ge=1#1131915315

its a good new jazz drum vid on his new 4pc sonor kit, awesome work