MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Drums Zone

Old 2004-08-09, 10:59
Yngwie666
New Blood

nick barker

Hello fellow metalheads! anyboby who can help me find out what triggers and module nick barker Is using? seems impossible to find it on the nett..Anybody got a clue? also the setup of his kit is hard to find, any ideas?

Thanks..

Yngwie

Old 2004-08-09, 12:52
Dissection
bugfucker strikes back.

Good god. Nick Barker is over rated. The only reason his DB is so fast is BECAUSE of the triggers.

Cheating fuck.

Awesome.

Old 2004-08-09, 14:01
The Doctor
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

Charlie Bendante is the man you need for fast drumming

Old 2004-08-09, 15:05
BOSE
Senior Metalhead

I have news for you Dissection, very few drummers in deathmetal mic their shit anymore, it's all triggered, it's just easier than tuning/changing drum heads. And don't quite see how it's cheating he still has play it, it's not like he hits one drum and it rolls.

And Doc you are foolish for thinking anyone can beat Pete the mother fucking commando Sandoval.

I belive nick uses either the Alesis DM5or DMpro, or the DDrum brain module. It's one of those three, but I know for a fact he uses DDrum triggers and not the cheap 'RED SHOT' ones, never ever even think about getting those.

And by the way Nick Barker isn't that fast anyways.

Old 2004-08-09, 19:34
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yngwie666
Hello fellow metalheads! anyboby who can help me find out what triggers and module nick barker Is using? seems impossible to find it on the nett..Anybody got a clue? also the setup of his kit is hard to find, any ideas?

Thanks..

Yngwie

Dont sink down to his level

"Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2004-08-09, 20:07
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Pardon my extreme ignorance, but - not being a drummer and all - I was wondering what a "drum trigger" is?

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn

Old 2004-08-09, 21:19
BOSE
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
Pardon my extreme ignorance, but - not being a drummer and all - I was wondering what a "drum trigger" is?

It's device that one clamps to the rim of their drum which basically gives your accoustic kit electronic drum capabilities.

It senses when the drum is hit and sends it to a module and out comes the resulting sound, you can make it have just about any sound at all a tin can, breaking glass, a chicken, and of course all the regular drum sounds.

But the kind of triggers and modules need to be compatible in order for it to work the way it was meant, if the aren't there can be all kinds of problems.
when you get them to work though they are great, your drums sound professional all the time, no need to fuck with tuning or changing heads.

Old 2004-08-09, 22:33
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

There is a band who use samples of explosions and gun/bullet sounds as their triggered samples. I believe everything on the kit is triggered (I was told you can get cymbal triggers), but of course the drums could have just been programmed in Midi and assigned the patches that way. I don't know enough about the band to know what they use exactly. I heard a song, some guy was playing it at Wacken. Sounds pretty intense, but I don't know if a whole album of it would get annoying pretty quickly.

I think Nick Barker is pretty good, perhaps not the fastest in the world, but I said 'good' not 'fastest' so who cares

Incidentally, I saw Mayhem at Wacken, and Hellhammer was pretty killer \m/

Old 2004-08-09, 23:35
BeastOfCarrion
Pokémon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSE
It senses when the drum is hit and sends it to a module and out comes the resulting sound, you can make it have just about any sound at all a tin can, breaking glass, a chicken, and of course all the regular drum sounds.

There is a distinct lack of chicken DB around, i think there needs to be more
(x.x) (> <)
Somebody has decapitated an innocent rabbit, can Abbath solve this crime before more innocent bunnies are hurt?

Old 2004-08-10, 05:16
omdthrash
Metalhead

the vast majority of death metal drummers use triggers, and the vast VASTmajority of those guys aren't cheating. a trigger sends one pulse to a module which in turn plays back a sampled sound. its exactly like electronic drums, but without having to buy a set of those shitty rubber pads. the trigger does NOT send of a blast of bass drum notes in time with the guy's hands. every bass drum note you hear coming out of the speakers, the guy has hit the bass drum fair and square.
there are two (maybe three) reasons for using triggers:
1) when you're playing the bass drums wicked wicked fast, its gonna sound like a rumble and you womnt be able to hear individual notes. with triggers, you can play a real bass drum so it feels comfortable, but you can also trigger a higher pitched sound every time you hit the drum (which is the clicky sound most guys use). that way, each note can be heard, so people (like some of the posters above in this thread) won't say "aww this guy sucks, he's not even playing double bass fast.
2)when you're playing as fast as most of these guys are, its extremely physically difficult to hit the bass drums with enough force to produce a loud enough note, even if they were naturally tuned with that above mentioned clicky sound. so, once the sound is triggered, there is an option of making it so that each note comes through the speakers at an even volume level. not every body does this, because not everybody needs to, and some guys need the dynamics.
3)if for whatever reason, you've got two different models of bass drums, you can use triggers to make them sound the same.
triggers don't have to be used just on the bass drums. nick barker i believe triggers all of his drums. for that matter, so does charlie benante, and even scott travis from judas priest. because they trigger their, they can make it so that you, the paying member of the audience, gets the best sounding performance possible. quite often, they sample the sounds of their own drums ina nice studio and use that to put through the speakers.
now that i've establised that 99% of the time, triggers aren't used for evil, there are rumors about certain drummers using triggering effects to cover up technical issues. i can't personally attest to any of these. every time iv'e been to a show where the guys all use triggers, the drummers have all been man enough to play with the triggers on (fairly), so that even though they've just woken up out of the van and haven't warmed up at all, you hear every note clearly, including all the mistakes. im not a fan of black metal particularly, but a friend of mine attended some concert where hellhammer the drummer was playing (i don't know who he plays for, it was in 1999/2000 if that helps). he said to me that every time a double bass section ended, the drum sound would continue to echo. that is a possibility, that you can have 2,3, 6,19 whatever notes play when a pulse is sent once.
I hope that clears up any misunderstandings about triggering. if you've ever attended a metal concert, chances are very likely at least one drummer on the bill has used triggers, unless they've got the best sound people in the world (like a metallica or ozzfest tour)

Old 2004-08-10, 06:27
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastOfCarrion
There is a distinct lack of chicken DB around, i think there needs to be more

LMAO That would sound cool

"Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2004-08-10, 08:56
Yngwie666
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissection
Good god. Nick Barker is over rated. The only reason his DB is so fast is BECAUSE of the triggers.

Cheating fuck.

JESUS!!!!!!! You don`t play faster with triggers, you play faster with axis pedals. r you shure you know what triggers r?
Dave Suzuki "vital Remains" kick`s ass..

Old 2004-08-10, 14:31
BOSE
Senior Metalhead

fuck yeah dave susuki is a fucking maniac.

Old 2004-08-11, 02:25
Dissection
bugfucker strikes back.

I was told that triggers make you sound faster than you are actually playing, but apparently I misunderstood. Sorry for that.

And Barker can't play much except blast beats. Blast Beats do not make him a good drummer.

Awesome.

Old 2004-08-11, 02:28
Dissection
bugfucker strikes back.

And yes, I know Axis pedals are THE best.

This is why I don't post much int he drum forum.

Awesome.

Old 2004-08-11, 06:49
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

I have axis longboards and my feet are very happy.

as for Nick barker, I am quite partial to his drum work, it is a very smooth drum sound, very controlled.

as for triggers, don't really like them (although that chicken could be cool....)

as for kit setup, I believe that it is a pearl 10 or 9 piece, not tooo sure, but you can see it quite clearly on some of their live videos, I just haven't matched them in ages. he could have changed it though, they were from his Cradle days.

Old 2004-08-11, 15:07
BOSE
Senior Metalhead

Fuck yeah I got the AA long boards they are the way to go.
When I saw Dimmu live back in December he was on a 10 piece Pearl kit. He's a good drummer just I like drummers who play more aggressive.

Last edited by BOSE : 2004-08-11 at 15:09.

Old 2004-08-11, 19:21
Casketcrusher
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmaster213
There is a band who use samples of explosions and gun/bullet sounds as their triggered samples. I believe everything on the kit is triggered (I was told you can get cymbal triggers), but of course the drums could have just been programmed in Midi and assigned the patches that way. I don't know enough about the band to know what they use exactly. I heard a song, some guy was playing it at Wacken. Sounds pretty intense, but I don't know if a whole album of it would get annoying pretty quickly.
\m/

Was it The Berzerker? They do that alot. Speaking of, The Berzerker dummer is the fastest in the world. It' s a fact. No triggers.

Truer words were never spoken.

Old 2004-08-11, 19:24
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Thanks to all, now I know what triggers are!

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn

Old 2004-08-12, 10:03
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

no he isn't, the dude who plays drums for Steve Vai is (can't remember his name)

he holds the record for the fastest hands, which is 1,100 (or there a bouts) both hands in a minute.

and the fastest feet belong to tim waterson, who can do 1,400 in a minute.

but the bezerker dude is fucking sick!!

Old 2004-08-12, 16:55
The Doctor
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

i have the vid of the fasted double bass. it's somewhere here on the drumforum, i recall.

Old 2004-08-12, 17:46
BOSE
Senior Metalhead

as I recall you also have the dude with the fastest hands.

Old 2004-08-12, 17:50
RUSSIANROULETTE
Supreme Metalhead

Yeah I remember seeing that, the guy's name was Jotan something

THUNDERBREW

R.I.P
DIMEBAG DARRELL

Old 2004-08-12, 19:10
The Doctor
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

Old 2004-08-12, 19:38
Vargon
New Blood

Nicks kit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nick-Barker1.jpg (33.0 KB, 264 views)

Old 2004-08-13, 23:32
omdthrash
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ black metal drumm
no he isn't, the dude who plays drums for Steve Vai is (can't remember his name)

he holds the record for the fastest hands, which is 1,100 (or there a bouts) both hands in a minute.

and the fastest feet belong to tim waterson, who can do 1,400 in a minute.

but the bezerker dude is fucking sick!!

the guy with the fastest single strokes was mike mangini, who played for steve vai and on the latest annihilator cd, but the record was broken a few weeks ago by some guy named jotan afanador. mangini was 1180/minute, jotan set it at 1199. some guy named seth davis set the double stroke record with 1200.

and yep, tim waterson is the fastest feet, single strokes 1030 and 1407 doubles.

i got all this info off of http://www.extremesportdrumming.com

and yeah, the berzerker dude is fucking sick.

Old 2004-08-14, 10:20
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

ah I haven't checked that website in a while, I expect Tim to break his record as he says in his website he broke it in practice, but didn't record it, I didn't know anyone had knowcked mike off of his spot.

Old 2006-07-04, 15:38
egorger
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yngwie666
JESUS!!!!!!! You don`t play faster with triggers, you play faster with axis pedals. r you shure you know what triggers r?
Dave Suzuki "vital Remains" kick`s ass..

Of course you don't play faster using triggers, but you don't have to worry about keeping the dynamics even either. You could hit really hard one note and soft the next and it would sound the same. If he played on an acoustic set, he'd sound horrible. I doubt he has consistency at that speed.

Old 2006-07-04, 17:11
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

According to Dimmu Borgir's website, Nick uses D-Drum triggers (already mentioned) and a Roland TD-10 Drum Module.
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut

Old 2006-07-24, 08:36
Kreator
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargon
Nicks kit

Does he also use that gong ?!?!?!?!?!?!