MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Tabs > Power Tab Corner

Old 2004-07-26, 21:17
atifman
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Post How to transcribe complex solos with PTB and Cool Edit Pro

i figured this out yesterday, and i bet a bunch of people do something similar, but this is for people who don't know:

Before i use to look at powertab solos and see, "hey how did they come up with those odd rhythmic groupings? quintuplet, septuplet, 7:6, 9:6? what the hell?". I didn't even know that 7:6 or 9:6 meant.
I've tried powertabbing fast solos, and the measure would always be underfull or overfull, because i wasn't guessing the right speed at which the notes were played. The speed of the notes determined how long the notes were, and if you got that wrong, then you'll have the problem with your measures being underfull or overfull. On top of that, I couldn't find where the solo started with relation to the rest of the riff, so my solo could've been displaced a few notes to the right or the left, which would also make it hard for finding the right amount of notes in a passage.

So i figured this method, and it has made things somewhat easier:

1. First, determine the bpm of the song. this is very important.
2. Go into Cool Edit ( or a similar multitrack and wave-editing program) and put your mp3 into multitrack view. Select one measure of the mp3, try to find where the riff starts and ends before it repeats. (Split this into another track if you need to , that'll help). Take a note of how long this passage is in seconds.
3. Go into Powertab, and set the metronome to the correct speed. Go into guitar setup and change the instrument to Woodblock (or whatever instrument you can hear easily over all the instruments in the song). In the measure,put one eighth note down (I put it on the B string, 0th fret). Export this eighth note to midi.
4. Import that midi you made in step 3 into CoolEdit onto an adjacent track.Line it up with the beginning of the riff you want to transcribe. now loop duplicate the midi 7 times. These 8 midi blocks next to eachother should make one big block, and should be the same length as the riff you want to transcribe. This is crucial, if they're not the same length (or pretty close), go back to step 3 and adjust the bpm.
5.Now with these midi blocks, you have the riff subdivided into 8 sections, so you can figure out what the guitarist is playing in each 8th note of the passage! All you have to do is select and drag how many eighth notes you want to hear (the selection will snap to the midi blocks) and hit play so that the metronome midi block and the passage you're trying to figure out play simultaneously. With this you can figure how many notes are in each eighth note, and where the note starts in relation to the other notes. This will help you figure out those nasty tuplets
example:
if you select 2 eighth notes and play, let's say you hear 5 notes in that span of 2 eighth notes. 2 eighth notes = 4 sixteenth notes. That's 5 notes in the space of 4 sixteenth notes, i.e. a quintuplet. put down 5 16th notes in your powertab, select those 5 notes, hit 'i' on your keyboard. you'll probably see 6 in the space of 4, so just change that to 5 in the space of 4. and there you go, you just figured out a quintuplet
same thing if you heard 7 notes in 2 eighth notes, that's 7 in the space of 4 sixteenth notes, that's a septuplet.
if you hear 3 in the span of 1 eighth note, that's a 16th note triplet.
if you hear 6 in the span of 2 eighth notes, that's a sixtuplet.
now what if you notice in the 2 eighth notes, that the guitarist plays a lick that's 4 notes and the last note of that lick stops in the middle of the 2nd eighth note. if he played those 4 notes in 1.5 eighth notes, that's 3 16th notes. so then if you pressed 'i' you would get a funky "4:3" over the notes, 'cuase it's 4 notes in the space of 3 16th notes.
that's how you get funky groupings of 5:6, or 8:6, etc.

And since you're specifically looking at each 8th note, you won't go over or under the measure and get frustrated at why you suck at tabbing so much .

6. put the cursor line (the vertical one) at the end of the big midi block. group the midi blocks together and move them to the right with the right click button. and then repeat step 5, and eventually you'll have the whole solo figured out.

if you want me to upload screenshots to help you, i'll do those upon request.

Last edited by atifman : 2004-07-26 at 21:23.

Old 2004-07-26, 21:35
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Thumbs up

That's pretty cool, Atif.

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn

Old 2004-07-26, 22:54
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

Thanks Atif!
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Old 2004-07-26, 23:00
BeastOfCarrion
Pokémon Master

you must be ripping into some pain in the ass solos there atif

Old 2004-07-27, 05:38
atifman
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

yeah that Vile-Unit 731 solo kicked my ass. i thought, "there's gotta be a more accurate way to do this"

Old 2004-07-28, 02:46
Cunty Shunt
Post-whore

yeah thanks

Old 2004-08-08, 18:47
Deimos
Senior Metalhead

can you show those screen shots b/c im a bit lost.

Old 2004-08-10, 18:31
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Quote:
Originally Posted by atifman
yeah that Vile-Unit 731 solo kicked my ass. i thought, "there's gotta be a more accurate way to do this"

Yeh and you said it would only take you a week or two.

LIAR!

"Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2004-08-12, 18:08
damonta
Senior Metalhead

How do you get the triplets & 7:6 measure counter up? On my PT down load they are not "highlighted" in the task bar.

Old 2005-01-17, 05:23
Abysslord
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by atifman
if you select 2 eighth notes and play, let's say you hear 5 notes in that span of 2 eighth notes. 2 eighth notes = 4 sixteenth notes. That's 5 notes in the space of 4 sixteenth notes, i.e. a quintuplet. put down 5 16th notes in your powertab, select those 5 notes, hit 'i' on your keyboard. you'll probably see 6 in the space of 4, so just change that to 5 in the space of 4. and there you go, you just figured out a quintuplet

Just wanted to point out that the above is not 100% correct. Just because 5 notes are played within the span of 2 eighth notes does not make it a quintuplet. All 5 notes must be played with the same timing.

For example, you can have a 16th note, a 16th note, and a 16th note triplet .... that's 5 notes in the span of two eighth notes, but it's not a quintuplet.

Your method of figuring out fast solos is pretty good though, I just wanted to point this out in case you overlooked it or made a typo.
http://abysslord.com/anthraxtabs

Old 2005-01-18, 05:04
atifman
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

right, I meant to say "5 notes spaced out evenly over 4" is a quintuplet
thanks

Old 2005-10-01, 18:37
Rattlehead
Senior Metalhead

Wow, I didn't even know people even DID space 5 even notes in the spaced over 4! Or 7 for that matter. 9 would just be three triplets, and 11 is probably not common at all.

Well I did know that some weird stuff existed (I've heard some REALLY weird timed jazz solos) but I didn't know that people did quintuplets and such, I just thought it was some weird combo of triplets regular notes and antibeats.

Since you're opening my eyes to something completely new I'd like you (or anyone else, please) to provide a list of songs that does some of this stuff so that I can get a better idea of how it sounds like and what feel it gives, ie, where it is good to use.

Guess I'll start with Vile-Unit 731.
I say do away with it. You can always stand in its former location if you need to make use of the perspective it gave you, but will benefit from the ability to situate yourself in different loci with ease.
Destroy the box.

Old 2005-10-02, 19:59
Abysslord
New Blood

http://www.powertabs.net/pta.php?page=song,9440

Check that song out. Dream Theater combine some interesting time signatures throughout the song, check out bars 138-163.

Regarding the mutliple notes thing, there a few examples here and there in this song. Bar 198 has a few 9:8's. Bar 213 has a 13:8. etc.
http://abysslord.com/anthraxtabs