MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Drums Zone

Old 2005-01-27, 22:13
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

The drummer's diary thread

Hey, I thought that maybe there should be a thread for random daily drum-related shit that's worth mentioning but isn't worth starting a thread over. Enjoy. (I hope there isn't already a dead thread like this, if there is, sorrysorrysorry)

As I mentioned in a different thread, I switched to Zildjian 2B Wooden Tear Drop Tip from my Vic Firth 5B Wooden Tear Drop Tip.

Sexiest metronome ever.

Yay, post away random shit, my pretties.

Old 2005-01-27, 22:57
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

I moved my drum kit today, and got my drum carpet back, drum carpets are awesome

you should get one.

Old 2005-01-27, 23:31
Outonbail
New Blood

Well i finally got some bills! so i treated myself to cymbals i feel i deserve!

my current budget setup was

16" 502 crash
paiste power series ride (awesome)
b8 hi hats
15" sabian AAX china

and along with the 3 stands i bought (im ditching my rack)

16" Sabian AA crash
18" Paiste Alpha china
18" zildjian A custom Projection
14" paiste dark crisp + AA fusion top/bottom hats
10" metal x splash

ill post pics when i get em setup..

Old 2005-01-28, 00:59
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

I don't have a drum carpet, because I'm a smart operator and I use a large sheet of thick fabric instead.

I'm also moving to a place with carpet floors so I won't need one and I get the downstairs to make into my own insulated studio! FUCK YEAH SO SEXY.

I've been underpaid by 200 AUD so I couldn't get my ZXT Trashformer so I wishfully sighed as I tried it out.

Anyone have any particular opinions about the Pearl 1002 double pedal?

Old 2005-01-28, 01:51
The Execrator
Noob lud

Good idea BC. Doctor, could you by any chance turn this into a sticky? And i am a proud owner of one of the "sexiest metronomes ever". My dad bought it for me when i first started out. I never realy found a need for it before becuase i though i already had good timing but ive been using it an awefull lot lately. Its realy usefull for practicing double bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Please excuse me for I currently have a terminal erection, and the only cure is midget-cunny.

Old 2005-01-28, 02:29
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

Drum carpets are awesome because:

The soak up vomit when playing in REally dodgy bars, They give that 'homely feel' when playing live and you can mark up where everything goes on the carpet so when you play live all you do it roll out the carpet and place everything on the dots/between the strips of gaffa tape

I am saving for my new snare, (oh when will it arrive, me wants new snare )

Old 2005-01-28, 03:26
The Execrator
Noob lud

When i brought my drums down to my basement, they kept sliding on he floor when i played so i just put a rug under them. I dont know if its considered a drum carpet but it suits my needs.

Quote:
Please excuse me for I currently have a terminal erection, and the only cure is midget-cunny.

Old 2005-01-28, 12:16
Lord.Worm
Senior Metalhead

I just had practised today (db, singlestrokes/blastbeats, hyperblast, paradiddles with feet accompaniment) for maybe half an hour :P .
And I´m going to practize half an hour more today

Old 2005-01-28, 18:36
The Execrator
Noob lud

I have been practing alot since i got the derek roddy video. He gives a daily 30 minute exercise and says you will notice results in 2 months but im already seeing results. By just sitting there and playing for 30 minutes, you start to realize the easiest ways to play and save energy while getting faster and more endurance. Ive only been doing it since tuesday and i can play faster longer and my double bass and single stroke rolls have cleaned up a bit. ALL OF YOU, ORDER IT NOW!.

Price: $30.00 US Dollars within the UNITED STATES, $35.00 US Dollars REST OF WORLD

All those interested in purchasing a copy send a MONEY ORDER or CASHIER'S CHECK only! Do not send cash. All payments must be in US funds and payable to DEREK RODDY.

Mail to:
Derek Roddy's Drum Video #1
P.O. Box 814
Deerfield Beach, FL 33443
USA

Also include your address and some information about yourself (how long you've been playing, age, drum kit set up, etc.) for my personal records! Thank you for your interest.

-Derek

Quote:

Old 2005-01-28, 23:03
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamb of god\m/
And i am a proud owner of one of the "sexiest metronomes ever". My dad bought it for me when i first started out. I never realy found a need for it before becuase i though i already had good timing but ive been using it an awefull lot lately. Its realy usefull for practicing double bass.

Ok, you always need a metronome because the "good timing" you think you have might fluctuate by 10-15 BPM in a minute and it's difficult to notice sometimes.

Your metronome has a tap in function. Record yourself playing quater notes for a minute, then use the tap in meter while listening to the recording to see how good your timing really is. You'll be surprised. It's especially relevant to slower timing, although most metal doesn't use it, what if you feel like playing funeral doom metal or something? The metronome is your friend!

My practice routine is over 3 hours now, kewlness. I'll post the exersise roster sometime later.

For some reason, I really want to write a book on beginer's theory for metal drummers. That would be an awesome book, but no publisher would take me seriously.

"Haha, how old are you? 17? HAHAHAHAHA! No way in hell kid, you're not famous. I hate you and I want to tear you open like an envelope and feast on your delicious insides."

I rest my case.

Old 2005-01-28, 23:11
The Execrator
Noob lud

Do you have one of those metronomes or do you just know everything about it? I dont use the tap tempo thing much becuase i always increase or decrease the speed and it doesnt go to the tempo i want. Whats the difference between a metronome and a click track?

Quote:

Old 2005-01-29, 03:20
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

tell them you are Pete Sandovals secret mistress........

Old 2005-01-29, 04:01
rabbifoodslicer
Supreme Metalhead

well, just had another fucken awesome band practice...my bands playin at a local battle feb 11, still prepin and all, but damn, were gonna stick this show up there asses

Old 2005-01-29, 21:47
Outonbail
New Blood

my zildjian a custom projection 18" just came in. AMAZING for hardcore.. sounds amazing while singled out in the breakdowns.. i love it

Old 2005-01-30, 03:01
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamb of god\m/
Do you have one of those metronomes or do you just know everything about it? I dont use the tap tempo thing much becuase i always increase or decrease the speed and it doesnt go to the tempo i want. Whats the difference between a metronome and a click track?

I own it, my teacher owns one, every single fucking drummer I know of owns one. A click track doesn't have visuals and you can't set it to triplets or weird time signatures such as 7/4, which I quite like. A metronome is much more flexible, and it's a good habit to play your rudimants to it to develop a better timing.

Old 2005-01-30, 03:17
The Execrator
Noob lud

Nice. I would think about getting one but i think they were like $100 US last time i checked.

Quote:

Old 2005-01-30, 06:54
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

for the songs I play I get my singer (who writes 90% of outr stuff) to give me a click track for the song and I practice to that, my only problem is that usually I can play louder than the earphones can, especially if it is a big double kick section.

Old 2005-01-30, 19:48
Outonbail
New Blood

i have that blue metronome.. it was 20 bucks

Old 2005-01-30, 22:07
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

I bought mine for 64 AUD after haggling, it was 80 AUD origionally. I bought it from Drumworx, the music store in the city had nothing I could use.

Old 2005-01-30, 22:14
Lord.Worm
Senior Metalhead

I´m using a Drumpc with a cowbellsound and a small guitaramp...thats okay...because I can put some Rythms patterns etc. on the pc...

BTW:
http://www.myspace.com/archotype
if someone is interested...its an older Record...(about half a year), and it`s self produced... .

Old 2005-01-30, 23:56
The Execrator
Noob lud

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ black metal drumm
for the songs I play I get my singer (who writes 90% of outr stuff) to give me a click track for the song and I practice to that, my only problem is that usually I can play louder than the earphones can, especially if it is a big double kick section.

I used to have that problem but i got a pair of drummers isolation headphones. They were pretty expensive but they are cool. Makes learning songs easier and reduces sound by 24db i belive.

Quote:

Old 2005-01-31, 08:59
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

how much and from where?????

I am VERY interested!!!!

Old 2005-01-31, 10:04
low-tech
Post-whore

are you just refering to those earmuffler things people use at shooting ranges? or is this something entirely else?

Old 2005-01-31, 12:11
The Execrator
Noob lud

Quote:
how much and from where?????

I am VERY interested!!!!

here I have the vic firth ones on the top of the screen. You can also get the non electronic ones there too.

Quote:

Old 2005-02-01, 20:39
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

Old 2005-02-02, 20:39
The Execrator
Noob lud

Hmmm, water filled. They look expensive. That metronome in one ear is a pretty good idea. People have said that they break easy though. Im lamb of god\m/ if you havent noticed. I changed my name.

This post was exactly 24 hours after the last post...interesting...

Quote:

Old 2005-02-02, 20:48
SixfeetUnder420
Senior Metalhead

I have some Headphones with 29db reduction and has a built in metronome. It helps alot.

Old 2005-02-05, 09:51
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

I just moved to my new little den, it's not as sound proof as I'd want it to be but it's big, it's carpeted, lots of power points and it's all fucking mine! I'll post photos later, it fits EVERYTHING. It fits my drums, my keyboard and all of my boyfriends bass and guitar gear (and that guy has lots of crap, he's got Gear Acqusition Syndrome).

Spent the day writting generic brutal death metal with boyfriend for something to do because we were fucking bored out of our minds. Realised that single foot blastbeats are something I should try later and decided to buy a double kicker. Thankfully, my left foot is in good shape. Pearl 1002's look good to me (they're about the same level as Iron Cobra junior but they come in strap drive, and I LOOOOOVVVEEE strap drive).

Instead of metrophones, I just plug my earphones into my metronome and crank them - hey, it's so much cheaper!

Old 2005-02-05, 23:50
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

Quote:
Spent the day writting generic brutal death metal with boyfriend for something to do because we were fucking bored out of our minds.

I could think of better things to do, like test out the sound proofing......

as for strap drives, wait till you try Direct drives, they kick sooo much ass.

Anyways Drummers Diary entry:

Got back from gig last night at 4:30 in the morning, my back neck legs are aching like shit and my ears are still ringing, yet I have a HUGE grin on my face, our set list was fucking awesome, very tight except for my one fuck up (which unfortunatley in the middle of the painkiller Drum intro, I was soooooo fucked off that I screwed that up,) erm the other bands, Trial by Fire who started the night were pretty good, thrashy sorta stuff, then after us (we were second) was 80's tribute band Maskara who fucking kick some ass, they have one of the best singers in the Entire Auckland metal scene, lots of awesome covers like Paradise City, etc. then up to close the night was Just One FIx, who just went off, they fucking rocked, lots of crowd participation, and even some metallica cover, and of course Stunt cocks (the bassist) now Cult song 'the Vagina song)

fucking awesome night!!!!!

Old 2005-02-06, 01:50
The Execrator
Noob lud

Sounds like fun. You said your ears are still ringing. You dont use earplugs or anything? Before i got the isolation headphones, i just used earplugs. Anyways, me and a guitarist from my band were working on a new song today. Its our 3rd song and our first song that im doing blast beats in Its turning out pretty good so far.

Quote:

Old 2005-02-06, 07:20
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

yeah I didn't do any blasts last night cause we only have on song with blasts in and we didn't play it

Old 2005-02-06, 16:08
low-tech
Post-whore

i just watched "some kind of monster" by metallica, i highly recommend watching it,even the most ridiculous arguments between the band i can relate to in some way from prior bands and the one im in now, minus the 40,000 dollar a month therapist. my guitarist lent master of puppets so i can listen for nostalgia reasons on the band that has been, i especially like the therapy session with dave mustaine ripping on lars

booked some shows in march, today or tommorrow im gonna look at a 1987 econoline brontasaurus for the band, my roomate just left on a 4month europe+us tour with his band, damn im envious

Old 2005-02-06, 17:27
SixfeetUnder420
Senior Metalhead

That has to be the worst movie ever made. I saw it in theaters and I almost walked out but the Dave Mustane part kept me watching.

Old 2005-02-07, 14:08
Outonbail
New Blood

they played that in the theaters? ha thats funny, i hate that band

along with my new projection crash I bought an 18" Alpha china, it was dirt cheap.. not to great of a sound, more of a cheap trash kinda of sound but it works.. also got a Metal-x splash, sounds great! nice blend of splash and trash.. i got a pair of dark crisp hats with AA fusion bottoms, dont sound like i thought they would but they still sound amazing! i also recently played the porkpie acrylic snare that i was going to buy but ended up not, and it was amazing! it had the sound i loved from my 10" pork pie auxiliarry snare but was way wider so its a lot more space for errors.. good stuff its only 250$!!

Old 2005-02-08, 00:33
SixfeetUnder420
Senior Metalhead

This weekend me and my band are going to record some songs, and this week I have to get my kit all miced . I'm using my Premier, with 8",10",12",13" toms and a 14" and 16" Floor tom. Its double bass and has 4 crashes, 2 splashes, and a china and of course a hi-hat and a 20" ride. So tomarrow i have to get started with all this suff but (hopefully) the recording will kick ass.

Old 2005-02-08, 16:17
Lord.Worm
Senior Metalhead

Are your kicks triggered??
If not, I would use a double pedal...because so you have exactly (or nearly exactly) the same sound on each kick.
Whatever, have fun.

Old 2005-02-09, 16:31
Lord.Worm
Senior Metalhead

I bought a new China from wuhan for 51€ because I cracked my old one.
It`s a number bigger (19") and I think it sounds better as the old one.
Also I decided to try out Nylon tips, although I preferr the Wood sound on Rides.

Old 2005-02-09, 19:59
The Execrator
Noob lud

I have a 12" wuhan china. Its alright i guess. Im kind of waiting for it to crack or break since everyone says it does. But i can just put up my 8" splash again which is good. Im curently using all wood sticks now. I have like 12 pairs left. After im done with all the sticks, im going to get a pair of those Ahead drum sticks. They are made out of titanium so they dont break. You just have to replace the covers everyonce in a while. I also hate having all those wood chips all over my kit from using wood sticks. It should work out nicely. I think i may go play for a bit...

Quote:

Old 2005-02-09, 20:24
Lord.Worm
Senior Metalhead

Aheads are made of Aluminium.
And they are absolute Cymbalkillers.
I Cracked my 18" crash and my China with these.
And they have a unusual rebounce, so you need to get into them.
I played mine for half an year, and those of my friend (a number smaller) about 3-4 months.
So think about it...better try carbonsticks.
ps. a Friend of mine had breaked about 4 pairs of aheads... but he plays like insane .

Old 2005-02-09, 22:31
Outonbail
New Blood

hahah sticks made with titanium.. you'd go through a set of cymbals in a week.

Old 2005-02-09, 23:00
The Execrator
Noob lud

Haha. Im not realy a hard hitter so they may work good for me.

Quote:

Old 2005-02-10, 11:13
Lord.Worm
Senior Metalhead

I´m also not a hard hitter, thats why I got really pissed about my crash.
So try them out.

Old 2005-02-10, 20:08
The Execrator
Noob lud

Hmm. Speaking of cymbals, im going to gradually get a whole new set after i get my new drum kit. The drum kit is an 8 peice pearl exr kit. It cost about $1300. I have like $300 saved so far. And i am also selling my old kit and hardware and my iron cobra double pedal so im hoping for atleast $500 from that. I bet i will get more though. I will see how the pedals are that come with the kit. If they are bad, i will get new pedals before all new cymbals. Im thinking about getting axis pedals. Im probably going to base my cymbal set on Martin Lopez's from Opeth. His cymbals sound amazing wether he's playing soft or heavy.

Quote:

Old 2005-02-12, 01:06
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

I'm a fairly hard hitter, so no Aheads for me.

Old 2005-02-12, 23:16
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

I am a very hard hitter (I chew through 7A's, about a pair every 2 weeks) and AHEADS are fine for me. (when I can afford them)

Old 2005-02-12, 23:39
The Execrator
Noob lud

So you get aheads everyonce in a while but they arent your main stick?

Quote:

Old 2005-02-13, 00:43
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

I would like them to be my main sticks, but alas my life is not cheap, I have a car........

and drum stuff on order which I have to save up for.

Old 2005-02-13, 00:48
The Execrator
Noob lud

Yes, they do cost alot for sticks

Quote:

Old 2005-02-15, 21:57
+-Tyrian Xort-+
New Blood

Kicked through my bass skin today on my practise kit....taped it up with masking tape & it now soudns like a "damp" snare...fucking vile

Old 2005-02-16, 22:04
SixfeetUnder420
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord.Worm
I bought a new China from wuhan for 51€ because I cracked my old one.
It`s a number bigger (19") and I think it sounds better as the old one.
Also I decided to try out Nylon tips, although I preferr the Wood sound on Rides.

No i dont have triggers but my kicks sound almost the same and i cant tell the difference. We got 2 songs recorded last weekend and were working on somemore right now.

Old 2005-02-17, 11:22
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

Quote:
I chew through 7A's, about a pair every 2 weeks

7A - L=15 1/2", Dia.=.540"
5B - L=16", Dia.=.595"
2B - L=16 1/4", Dia.=.630"

Who the hell in their right mind plays 7A's in metal?

Old 2005-02-17, 17:34
Lord.Worm
Senior Metalhead

Why not?
Metalsticks dont have to be big, I couldnt play the most stuff with bigger sticks as my 5a`s...

Old 2005-02-17, 19:31
The Execrator
Noob lud

I used to play 7As but i use 5As now. Or are they 5Bs? I dont know.

Quote:

Old 2005-02-17, 21:58
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

Well, big music, big drums and big sticks. 7A's wouldn't produce enough sound, but I guess if you can hit hard enough for your needs with them good for you. They're little petite jazz sticks, that's like an anorexic being a weight lifter. Anyway, 7A's just don't sit in my hands too well, they're so thin there isn't enough for me to hold onto.

Old 2005-02-18, 01:10
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

I only use them because I got so used to the Joey AHEAD sig sticks which are 7A I now find 5A just a little too heavy, especially when I am trying to hit Hand rolls in the 280 bpm range the difference just throws my wrists off.

I still use my Mike Mangini sig sticks as practice stick because of their weight though.

Old 2005-02-21, 00:45
SixfeetUnder420
Senior Metalhead

I use 5A most of the time.

Old 2005-03-17, 01:16
Bia
Muffin Ass

Something funny just happened....I figured this would be a place to relay it.....

Just got home...was at some friends of a friends home....smoking...hanging out and whatnot.....there were about 9 people there I didnt know....so after a while this guys says, "I hear you play guitar" I say yep and he proceeds to tell me of his drumming prowess.....I have always admired guys that beat the hell outta stuff so drummers are among the coolest people I know......long story short I ask him about his setup....and he mentiones having "Zidian" symbols........so I say you mean Zildjian? and he says no....I have Zidians.....so I retort....I've heard of Zildjians but not the other......this fucker goes off.....starts claiming I'm a faker......I know nothing of equiptment and he has Zidian stickers on his cars...bla bla bla and there is no such product as Zildjian and I must "be trippin" spelling/saying it with that L in it bla bla bla.....a few other guys had to get in his face and shut him down....it was quite amusing.

Sidenote.....I have never posted in this forum but must say....though I'm a Metal Chick at heart....Neil Pert is the drummer that impresses me the most.....pure talent IMO.

Later,

Bia

Old 2005-03-17, 01:39
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

Quote:
.I have always admired guys that beat the hell outta stuff so drummers are among the coolest people I know......

Damn straight!

Quote:
I know nothing of equiptment and he has Zidian stickers on his cars...bla bla bla and there is no such product as Zildjian and I must "be trippin" spelling/saying it with that L in it bla bla bla.....a few other guys had to get in his face and shut him down....it was quite amusing.

BWHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa

Quote:
I have never posted in this forum

I noticed, now run along to the guitar forum like a good little girl (I am so glad you are no where near me to slap me!)

Old 2005-03-18, 00:41
The Execrator
Noob lud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bia
Something funny just happened....I figured this would be a place to relay it.....

Just got home...was at some friends of a friends home....smoking...hanging out and whatnot.....there were about 9 people there I didnt know....so after a while this guys says, "I hear you play guitar" I say yep and he proceeds to tell me of his drumming prowess.....I have always admired guys that beat the hell outta stuff so drummers are among the coolest people I know......long story short I ask him about his setup....and he mentiones having "Zidian" symbols........so I say you mean Zildjian? and he says no....I have Zidians.....so I retort....I've heard of Zildjians but not the other......this fucker goes off.....starts claiming I'm a faker......I know nothing of equiptment and he has Zidian stickers on his cars...bla bla bla and there is no such product as Zildjian and I must "be trippin" spelling/saying it with that L in it bla bla bla.....a few other guys had to get in his face and shut him down....it was quite amusing.

Hahaha, sounds pretty funny. But there is actually a cymbal company called Zidian. They never realy got anywhere because they are pretty shitty quality. I used to have a crash by them but it kept getting dents in it so now it's just sitting in my closet somewhere...Well actually, i just made that whole thing up.

Quote:

Old 2005-03-19, 09:34
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

HAHA

So, at the school I just left some guy was trying to offload a beginer kit. He talked my guitarist and bassist into believing that we needed that piece of crap and that the second bass drum would be the right one for us. Anyway, all he told us is that it's a 22 inch, and my bassist was convinced that we needed it. Convo:

Me: It's a beginer kit. Why do I need a beginer kit?
Him: The second bass drum.
Me: You can't update a beginer kit because of the bad shells and if the bass drums are not identical, even if you tune them the same they can sound sloppy. Fuck off with it.
Him: MANY BANDS HAVE NON-IDENTICAL BASS DRUMS YADDA YADDA BULLSHIT

Anyway, we had a fight over this, but later the bassist relayed my convo with him to the other drummer (who is quite skilled by the way) and he got impressed and now he's lending me cymbals and double kickers and crap because he failed to fool me.

Old 2005-03-19, 10:57
Lord.Worm
Senior Metalhead

We´re going to play tonight, at a underground festival.

Old 2005-03-22, 16:44
The Execrator
Noob lud

I have about $305 saved for the drum kit!

Quote:

Old 2005-03-24, 03:14
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

I put 50 AUD on a secondhand Dixon PP9290D double kicker. I'm picking it up on tuesday, altogether it's 190 AUD. Awesome deal.

Old 2005-03-24, 19:59
The Execrator
Noob lud

It's about time you got a double pedal!

I have an audition for the jazz band this monday. The guy gave me a song to learn but im new to everything in jazz so i dont realy know how its played. The songs called Downtown Shuffle by Jeff Tyzik. Its a shuffle beat. Anyone have any advice?

Quote:

Old 2005-03-26, 23:30
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

Quote:
Next, instruct students that blues musicians use the backbeat in a common blues rhythm known as a "shuffle beat." Have them experience the sound of the shuffle beat by tapping out four even beats in 4/4 time with the right hand and add a "pre-beat" tap in the left hand just before each beat in the right. This pre-beat can be thought of as the "and" in "and one, and two, and three, and four." After a steady rhythm has been established, students should attempt to emphasize the backbeat by tapping louder with the right hand on beats two and four. This type of shuffle beat that emphasizes the backbeat is a Chicago shuffle. For students able to establish a steady pattern with both hands, they can try adding on a steady four taps of the right foot on the floor while everything else is still going on. Discuss with students why this rhythm is known as a shuffle beat.

http://www.pbs.org/theblues/classroom/defbeat.html
http://www.eddielandsberg.com/drumshuffle.html

Old 2005-03-27, 00:14
Wakeness
Senior Metalhead

Preffered Sticks

I just thought I'd share with you all...
I break them Fuckin vic Firth sticks by the barrel load.
For the last 6 months I have been using these Zidjan signature series sticks.
They're the Trilock Gertu model. I love these things man. They last longer for me than any other stick I've used, and they're a good weight.
Give 'em a shot.

Old 2005-03-27, 04:05
Doublebass
New Blood

i use those Ahead sticks that ulrich uses...iv had them for 4 months and they still feel brand new, also dont dent drum heads as much, highly reccomended.

Old 2005-03-27, 13:39
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

Zildjians are softer than Vic Firths generally, so they don't break as much. I know a jazz lady who breaks Zildjians and other sticks like Vic Firth and Pro Mark but she found some weird brand underground sticks with a very hard wood, I need to get a pair because they have some very interesting shapes that sit in the palm of the hand and help deliver more power.

Old 2005-03-27, 17:03
Wakeness
Senior Metalhead

Well, when you find out what kind they are,let me know. I;'ll try them out.
Like I said, I'm super happy with the Trilock Gertu sticks, be just out of curiousity I ordered 2 pairs of the Vic Firth F1 Flo (Cryptopsy) Sig sticks.
We'll see.
But like I said, let me know what kind they are.

Old 2005-03-27, 19:30
MeTalManiac555
Supreme Metalhead

Vic Firth used to make a stick with some weird red material and the stick was like a pinkish red wood (not staind either or those dark red ones). I dont remember the name of the material but they are super light, really nice for jazz music. There is a place here that used to still sell them but they are probably out of them now and Vic Firth doesn't make them anymore someone told me. Anyone know what I am talking about, if I hear the name I may know.
twilight casts spells on those who espouse their fate

ice pricks necks like knives, leaving shards of cadaverous skin
tears spout from eyes, shunned from mankind's den
(Prayer For Cleansing/ "A Dead Soal Born")

Old 2005-03-27, 23:04
Wakeness
Senior Metalhead

Sorry, can't help you.
I know that I;'m getting into a new topic here, but this is a multi topic thread...
I am thinking about triggering my bass drum.
What's involved? I know I'll need a trigger thing, but what else? I have a soundboard and PA equipment already, so can I use that or do I need a processor?
Help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Old 2005-03-30, 14:47
Lord.Worm
Senior Metalhead

You definately need a Module (thats the thing what makes the sound, not your PA).
And then it depends how much you spend for it, how good your sound`ll be.
I´d try different modules out, before I going to buy one.

Old 2005-03-30, 20:54
Ivan
New Blood

You can connect the trigger directly to the PA but all you will get is a click. Not a good bass click either. I would get some inexpensive module and a few triggers( since they all have more than one input) and just put them on all your drums so you can get cool sounds if you need to.

Also, dont buy triggers. You can go to radioshack and buy piezo discs and use those, thats all the triggers are, although you may have some problems connecting them.

Old 2005-03-31, 01:42
Wakeness
Senior Metalhead

Right on.
So do you guys have any examples of a "Cheap Module"?
I mean, I want to trigger my Bass exclusively, so I don't need some whaling friggin thing with a million sounds to choose from.
Throw out some name brands for me to look into.
Thanks

Old 2005-03-31, 17:11
Ivan
New Blood

Alesis and Roland have some fairly inexpensive modules, and they all have more than one input.

Roland TD3

Alesis DM5

These are under 500, you can get some really nice ones, some with synths built in, for about a thousand.

Old 2005-04-02, 11:08
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

Today was one of the best drum practices I have ever done, I was nailing shit that I can very rarely nail, coming up with some really cool sounding stuff, and have started learning how to do the stick spin where you go up and down your fingers (I just need to get it round my little finger and up to finish that off) so yeah today was a good day to practice

Old 2005-04-02, 16:48
The Execrator
Noob lud

Nice. I have a few awesome practices everyonce in a while also. They usually happen after i go without playing for a while.

Quote:

Old 2005-04-07, 02:27
Wakeness
Senior Metalhead

Right on. thanks Ivan.

Old 2005-04-07, 11:41
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

I noticed that I get things a lot better by ear or when someone explains a groove than from tab or sheet paper. It was always like that for me with other instruments (except keyboards), so I get awesome practices when I listen to things and not read them off paper.

Long double kicker journey, my teacher has a nice, smooth set, one half is a DW 5000 and the other one is some other brand but still smooth, but my own is better in a few ways. My hi hats just don't fit in with the double kickers, my teacher has a different preference set-up, his hi hats are more important to him than the pedal, and it's reverse for me, so I have a lot to work out. I don't understand how to loosen some of the springs on it, IT'S SHIT. I'm doing that tonight.

Old 2005-05-16, 19:31
The Execrator
Noob lud

What do you guys think of Pearl Export drums? NZ, im pretty sure you have one.

Quote:

Old 2005-05-16, 23:12
Lord.Worm
Senior Metalhead

I own two sets of them and I´m happy with them .

Old 2005-05-16, 23:15
Lord.Worm
Senior Metalhead

I´m going to buy a Eliminator Double and a new 18" Crash.
I hope that I can seperate 2 Single Pedals from it.
And Yesterday I joined another Band .

Old 2005-05-16, 23:48
Transient
HES BAAACK

today i figured out how to blast on my desk in school

Old 2005-05-17, 00:11
The Execrator
Noob lud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient

Your a damn genious.

Quote:

Old 2005-05-17, 06:40
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

Exports IMO are great kits, they are good sounding good hardware for a resonable price, they last up to advanced and semi pro levels, you don't have to worry about crap hardware or shitty sounding toms etc. because you have quality there, I have had (half of my current kit) for around 5+ years and it is still taking the abuse I give it, which includes about a 30 km travel to practice and back every weekend, being taken to gigs etc. and it still refuses to die (although a reskin is looking like a good idea.....)

Old 2005-05-17, 18:48
Lord.Worm
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient

I love it to annoy my teachers with my "Pencil-Gravity-on-Mathbook-blast"

Old 2005-05-17, 19:04
low-tech
Post-whore

i remember a dude in high school showing me how to do palm/finger rudiments on a schooldesk, its the same thing conga players do. he could do alot of cool rudiments with his hands just about as fast a sticks. in one class there was like 4 drummers so we play in unison on our desks and drove the teacher nuts

Old 2005-05-17, 19:13
Wakeness
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord.Worm
I love it to annoy my teachers with my "Pencil-Gravity-on-Mathbook-blast"

Yeah, at work I have been going to electronic and Intrumentation courses. My classmates are going insance from the pencil/notebook gravity blasting. LOL

Old 2005-05-17, 20:55
The Execrator
Noob lud

Haha, now were on the subject of drumming in school...Everyday in spanish, i sit there and do heel-toe stuff all the time, even when im talking. But i would do it every day all the time. One day my spanish teacher flipped on everyone and started saying how anoying some people in my class were. Well i just happend to be doing heel-toe stuff, and my teacher goes "am i the only one that ever hears the feet on the floor?!". The class was saying how they could always hear me playing. I found it pretty funny, haha. And i got a letter home from art about how i disrupt the class by constantly drumming on the table and moving my stool . I wasnt even anoying anyone but her. Oh well...

Quote:

Old 2005-05-17, 22:41
jimmers
Senior Metalhead

I've been told off for tapping my feet my whole life. These days I drive a bus, I'm not sure if people are more annoyed or scared by it.

Last edited by jimmers : 2005-05-17 at 22:43.

Old 2005-05-17, 22:55
Transient
HES BAAACK

hahaha justin, stupid spanish teacher. everybody else loves your doublebass im sure

Old 2005-05-18, 04:54
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

I am famous for my desk drum solos double kick work on the floor, it pisses EVERYONE off especially my Calculas teacher,

Old 2005-05-18, 19:03
The Execrator
Noob lud

Im not a big fan of doing hand work on desks. I hate using pencils as drum sticks on notebooks and stuff, it doesn't feel right. I usually just use my fingers and tap out beats. And if you want to do it louder, you can use the tips of your finger nails, haha. The finger nails tapping on the desk pisses everyone off.

Quote:

Old 2005-09-17, 17:54
The Execrator
Noob lud

Haha, this year in math, i sit right next to another drummer so both of us are doing double bass and tapping on the desks all class. It's pretty cool.

I tried reseting up my drum set last night and failed badly. I can't get my rack toms set up anywhere near normal. I have to go down now and set everything up all over again... I'll take some more pictures soon.

Quote:

Old 2005-09-18, 08:19
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

yeah once in a math lesson we had a drum solo duel going, between me and another drummer.

Old 2005-09-22, 16:51
Wakeness
Senior Metalhead

Well, since this is the drummers diary, thought I should share the fact that I just scored a 14" tom (12" deep) to add to my sweet ass fucking drum kit.
So now I have 12", 13", 14" rack toms, 16" floor tom, 22" kicker and a 10" snare, Axis a-longboards with Ekits, Alesis DM5 module and I just bought an alesis 3630 compressor/limiter aff one of the guys in Decrepit birth for $30 bucks!!! (To run my snare mic through)
I'm geared up for some FUCKIN SHOWS!!!!!!!!!! Mind you, the compressor hasn't arrived yet- he just mailed it yesterday.

Old 2005-09-22, 23:30
The Execrator
Noob lud

Awesome man. Im looking at getting a 14x14 floor tom soon. My floor toms are too big, I have 16 and 18s so it's hard to move around the kit. A 14 and 16 would be perfect.

Quote:

Old 2005-09-23, 14:33
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

I would love bigger floor toms, I once played on a kit with an 18 and a 20 floor tom

Fuck that was beasty and nice!

Old 2005-09-23, 22:47
The Execrator
Noob lud

Yeah, it's just harder to move around the kit. It is cool though.

Quote:

Old 2006-12-30, 01:15
CompelledToLacerate
FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I've been thinking of getting a second bass drum, but I kind of wanna try out the difference between playing double bass with one bass drum and two singles with two bass drums. Never played the latter before.

What do you think? Is there a difference in playing? Does it effect your playing with the whole kit? What about with just oyur double bass technique? Does it improve? Cripple? Nothing?

Keep checking for new crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
It's really sad, all those people who don't understand why we shouldn't act like our enemies. The real victory is not only killing and imprisoning the terrorists, but also letting civilized manners override the lust for revenge, once the battle is over.