MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Vocal Zone

Old 2006-06-02, 21:12
ZRO
Senior Metalhead

First off,im new.

Second,Im looking to try to acheive a sort of Corpsegrinder voice,any advice?

Old 2006-06-02, 22:32
newHELLonEARTH
slack as fuck

Thick neck. haha

Wow, I just did and recorded a 30 second long scream.

Fucking on the couch while posting on Metaltabs and getting caught by your mother....

Priceless!

Old 2006-06-03, 01:40
Formaldehyde
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by newHELLonEARTH
Thick neck. haha

Post? I'd be really interested to hear this.
What are some tecniques people use to hold their scream? I can probably hold mine 5-6seconds tops.

Old 2006-06-03, 07:51
Cunty Shunt
Post-whore

Quote:
Thick neck. haha

You bastard, I've only gotten 27. I must attempt to beat this now.

http://www.myspace.com/jimmysband

http://www.myspace.com/pyrrhicthanatologymonger

Mr. Budd on Relapse explaining LDOH's IAHC Mcd: "It sounds like an inside-out gorilla eating 50 babies a minute."

Old 2006-06-03, 10:43
Unanything
Post-whore

Sorry, I've destroyed all of those.
I've got recorded a minute-long growl.
I've not managed to get it again since.

www.garageband.com/tranxnart
www.myspace.com/tranxnart
www.youtube.com/user/Tranxhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while fucking you in the eye. Brutal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadude
I coated the end of a toothpick with Satan's blood and simply wiped it across the top of an omelet. PERFECT!

Old 2006-06-03, 13:12
The.Jester.Race
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unanything

how the fuck.
i doubt i can make a growl longer than 5-6 seconds =[

Old 2006-06-03, 17:09
JesterRace
New Blood

Quote:

i don't think you did a minute...that could probably do brain damage

Old 2006-06-03, 17:14
The.Jester.Race
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterRace
i don't think you did a minute...that could probably do brain damage

oh man.. one of us has to change his nick now

Old 2006-06-03, 18:10
JesterRace
New Blood

there is another guy named TheJesterRace too with no periods lol

Old 2006-06-03, 19:40
Cunty Shunt
Post-whore

Quote:

Oh, I've done more than a minute growling, but actual screaming takes more out of you.

Mr. Budd on Relapse explaining LDOH's IAHC Mcd: "It sounds like an inside-out gorilla eating 50 babies a minute."

Old 2006-06-04, 17:27
newHELLonEARTH
slack as fuck

I'll post it when I get home, although I don't think it actually sounds all that great.

Fucking on the couch while posting on Metaltabs and getting caught by your mother....

Priceless!

Old 2006-06-06, 23:52
newHELLonEARTH
slack as fuck

K, it's uploaded on the Krossa band page (check sig). in the first song. (I'm on .44 and Violence..ect, the song with the 30 second scream.)

Priceless!

Old 2006-06-07, 00:53
Cunty Shunt
Post-whore

Quote:
K, it's uploaded on the Krossa band page (check sig). in the first song. (I'm on .44 and Violence..ect, the song with the 30 second scream.)

Nice. It sounds like you're dying.

Old 2006-06-07, 19:29
newHELLonEARTH
slack as fuck

Haha, kinda does doesn't it.

Priceless!

Old 2006-06-08, 19:42
Lichmistress
New Blood

That scream kicks ass!
How the fuck did you pull that off?
Very impressive!

Old 2006-07-18, 04:50
squibee
New Blood

Either out of boredom, stupidity, or bravery, I decided to read this whole thread. However I am still left with one very noobish question: when you scream, are you actually screaming? like full volume with the mic away from your mouth?

Old 2006-07-19, 14:47
CAPCOPSNOW
New Blood

no not really unless you have vocal chords made of leather

Old 2006-07-19, 16:06
newHELLonEARTH
slack as fuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by squibee
Either out of boredom, stupidity, or bravery, I decided to read this whole thread. However I am still left with one very noobish question: when you scream, are you actually screaming? like full volume with the mic away from your mouth?

Well I sure as fuck didn't whisper that.

Priceless!

Old 2006-07-23, 03:55
Rotten-To-The-Core
New Blood

DEATH

does anybody have any tips to get that chuck schuldiner or john tardy vocal style down. old school death metal vocals do be more specific for the ignorant fuck who doesnt know those guys.

Old 2006-07-23, 06:13
hell_born
New Blood

see my problem is I can scream quite whell, and do raspy black metal esqe voccals, sounding like sound of preservence death on a lower octive, or satyr from satyricon on a higher octive...but i cant seem to grasp death metal voccals.

i maneged to do it once by sort of gargaling saliva and pushing air up from my diaphram. it was cool, it sounded like muhamed from necrophagist, or the guy from morbid angel (gateways era).

could some one help me whith an alternative or easier way to do it?

also dose annyone know how to do inhale voccals?

Old 2006-07-23, 17:24
Brutality
New Blood

I can scream and growl like a pro now and even pig squeal. Sick.

Old 2006-07-28, 11:50
I <3 SANDWICH
Metalhead

I do love brutal vocals

Old 2006-08-03, 04:12
IhateCoF
New Blood

Hypocrisy The Eraser

This is my version of Hypocrisy's The Eraser...hmmm...feedback would be nice....hope you enjoy. Now go slaughter some infants.

Old 2006-08-03, 16:11
skiz
New Blood

My problem, which i was wonderin if any one could give me some advice on, is this :

My "scream" sounds pretty cool at low volume. Just slightly louder than a whisper. If i start trying to push it louder it just turns into a yell, which is really not what im going for. How can i maintain the sound of my scream but push the volume up to a decent level?

Old 2006-08-05, 08:30
- EXILE -
Metalhead

I do the same thing so I just stick with Growling, im sure with pracitice youll get better tho, maybe try vocal lessons.

Old 2006-08-08, 21:42
ZRO
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRO
First off,im new.

Second,Im looking to try to acheive a sort of Corpsegrinder voice,any advice?

Anyone? Not his EXACT voice but just straight up brutal.
I drink milk a lot but it dosnt really make a difference.

Last edited by ZRO : 2006-08-15 at 18:03.

Old 2006-08-19, 03:26
CAPCOPSNOW
New Blood

i have a hard time screaming so i just started pushing my growl higher sort of in my throat... i heard thats really bad but ive had no problems or serious pain

Old 2006-08-26, 00:10
- EXILE -
Metalhead

If you wana sound like Corpsegrinder go out and buy some Cannibal Corpse CDs, or download them, and just keep death grunting for as long as it takes untill you sound similar, probly about 4 months or so. Drink heeps of water and Recored yourself every now and then so you can pick up on your faults and correct them.

Old 2006-08-31, 05:56
Malice777
New Blood

Exclamation

ok everybody. you are all gr8. thankyou for all the tips.
but i really need help with my situation. im trying out for a punk/hardcore band in less than one week. there are a few things im worried about for the try-outs
1. I usually need to sing about 5 songs be4 i can make a decent scream. that can be a problem for me right? I dont wan to take forever before i can do a good scream.
2. There's another scream i have..I can scream in a certain way that sounds so sic. but its quiet. i can't really call it a scream. i have never used a PA box or mic be4 for singing or screaming. so idk if this is valid for a scream.
3. everybody is talking about the diaphram. i know what you mean i know what the diaphram is. but i do not know what you mean by sing with that instread of yer throat. when i singt or scream. i tighten my abbs press my throat and breath deeply in betweenm every word possible. is this corrrect? or is it bad. it makes me nervous on how i should sing.
4. after about 3 swongs of screaming. i completely screw up my singing voice!! how can i fix this?!

please help me every1!!!!! i really wanna make this band!!
help me VERY soon!!!

Old 2006-09-03, 15:12
Planisphaerium
New Blood

Ah shucks, my problem is real weird, I can do really good bullfrog/guttural exhales (and crappy inhales, but they don't really interest me anyways) and every brutal DM fan i know says they're good, but I can't do regular growls. How do you guys do these? Everytime I try them they turn into half assed screams . (Oh and by the way, by regular growls I mean mostly suffocation style growls)

Old 2006-09-07, 13:19
\/\/1LL
New Blood

throat or no throat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice777
ok everybody. you are all gr8. thankyou for all the tips.
but i really need help with my situation. im trying out for a punk/hardcore band in less than one week. there are a few things im worried about for the try-outs
1. I usually need to sing about 5 songs be4 i can make a decent scream. that can be a problem for me right? I dont wan to take forever before i can do a good scream.
2. There's another scream i have..I can scream in a certain way that sounds so sic. but its quiet. i can't really call it a scream. i have never used a PA box or mic be4 for singing or screaming. so idk if this is valid for a scream.
3. everybody is talking about the diaphram. i know what you mean i know what the diaphram is. but i do not know what you mean by sing with that instread of yer throat. when i singt or scream. i tighten my abbs press my throat and breath deeply in betweenm every word possible. is this corrrect? or is it bad. it makes me nervous on how i should sing.
4. after about 3 swongs of screaming. i completely screw up my singing voice!! how can i fix this?!

please help me every1!!!!! i really wanna make this band!!
help me VERY soon!!!

Sorry this is late, but if you haven't head of MELSSA CROSS, then you're in for a treat visit http://melissacross.com/home.php? Her DVD, vocal instruction for a new breed is amazing. You should NOT scream from your throat. I know it sounds good for a while, but it's brutal, and this is why it only lasts so long. eventually your vocal chords tear and rip and swell, this is why it's so bad. really, you need to be pushing up by flexing your abs, and opening up your throat. Imagine your scream is a marble rolling along the back of your esophogus, and eventually through the nasal passage. this will engage your FALSE chords and takes some time to learn, but will definately save you in the end. hope this helps, and you read this

Old 2006-09-07, 13:19
\/\/1LL
New Blood

p.s. how'd the tryouts go?

Old 2006-09-09, 22:34
Malice777
New Blood

well actually the try outs were delayed for one week so its good that i get more practice. but every1 one was busy so we couldn't do anything.

here's another question i can hopefully get answered.
i know exactly how to push and tighten my abs for to sing gr8 with my diaphram. but how would i scream like that? the way i scream its to push my diaphram but also use my throat so give it the scratchiness. how do i push my diaphram without using the throat for screaming? if i dont use my throat it'll jut be yelling. i want to scream not yell.

is it something to do with a mic or what?

Old 2006-09-10, 13:30
\/\/1LL
New Blood

I don't know much about mics and live sound, but essentially you want to obtain the "scratchiness" by shape. like when a balloon's air is let out and you streach the opening, it gets the sound you want to obtain with your voice, so yes your throat needs to shape the sound, but using your false cords and you need to try to force the sound out through your nasal passage. Now I know that's not literally possible, but it's the analogy we're going for. by trying this, it uses the top part of your throat (where your false chords are) Also, it depends on how important this is to you, but if you want advice from the person who taught Slipknot, Underoath, Lamb of God, God Forbid, From Autumn to Ashes and TONS MORE, all you need to do is email them at this link https://www.melissacross.com/crossEmailEval.php and with a fee (i don't know how much it costs), but she'll get back to you 48 hours. and yes, the person is a Woman. there's also a phoneline, where you can talk to Melissa and you need a credit card for that, and the phone # is: 212-736-3789.........good luck

Old 2006-09-10, 18:44
Malice777
New Blood

thanks a lot man. for all the tips and shit.

but one problem is that im kinda young and i dont have a credit card or any options to buy anything on the internet. which is basically why im on the forum for this site.
is age havin anything to do with it? im in my mid-teen years. and i dont know if my voice wiill get deeper by like ago 18 to 25 so it can screa better. most people that are in the screaming type bands are those age. so im just kinda with no clues on how to improve my voice without hurting it. and i want to be able to scream like early avenged sevenfold and from autumn to ashes.
but anyways thanks for all teh help.

when i ge tthe try-outs done ill post how they went

Old 2006-09-10, 20:42
\/\/1LL
New Blood

Okay, Im 17, and my voice isn't very low either, even funnier, my brother is 15, and can imitate Lamb Of God Vocals. Don't worry about your voice as it is. Just don't scream in a way that it hurts. I'll try to explain this weird way of screaming and it may be hard, but here goes. First, to try to get the scream out of your nasal passage try barring your teeth as a dog would when he's about to bite you. expose your upper teeth, and you nose should naturally scrunch up. in this position force air out through your mouth and nose using your diaphram. Also, keep your tongue flat in your mouth with the tip against the inside of your bottom teeth, This is (about) supposed to be how you begin using your "false chords", See how this feels. Just try to imagine a "nasal sound" and try to imitate Marge Simpson's voice. I'm not kidding, and Even if you eventually want a more gutteral sound, this is how you have to start so you don't hurt your self, cuz a band won't want a vocalist who only has 3 or 4 songs in he/she. Now try huming with your mouth closed and try to do it as loud as you can. Can you get the buzzing to vibrate within your head? Do your ears itch? If So, you're figuring it out. Now incorporate this buzzing sensation into the Marge voice through your nose. With the two, essentially You should be able to scream safely and at any volume for as long as you want. Keep at it, It isn't easy, but I guarentee it, any vocalist who wants to scream AND sing, this is how they do it. If you'll never sing, or want to sing in your career, then by all means do what's right for you? still have questions?, keep typing I'll try to help

Old 2006-09-17, 19:15
opaner
New Blood

Marge

How do you go from the marge simpson voice to the scream? I bought the zen of screming but i thought she was really vauge when it came to screaming. I cant figure out how to go from the marge simpson voice to a scream

Old 2006-09-18, 21:43
\/\/1LL
New Blood

Okay, I see what you mean, she is pretty vague there. umm. THe marge simpson voice is just to engage the false chords and get away from using your throat without destroying it. You keep forcing the air out in the same way, but reall push with the diaphram and force a bit harder. Keep trying to tweak what you're doing and keep your throat in the same position as to not kill it. (there is a follow up cd on heat/fire I have yet to buy, cuz I'm curious) if you happen or anyone for that matter happens to get it, let me know how it is.

Old 2006-09-18, 23:58
Malice777
New Blood

hey i went to the try outs on saturda and i was so fucking nervous OMG!!!
i sang and i thought i sounded really shaky and weirdf.
but they seemed to really like it. ive talked to them and they seem to really want me, so im really happy about that. they just want to hear if i sound any good recorded and stuff like that.
so ya thanks for the tips and everything!!
but i could really still improve. so if there's anyone experienced that has some good advice i would really appreciate it.

Old 2006-09-19, 00:59
\/\/1LL
New Blood

sweet man, good job, good luck!
let me know if or when you guys record anything

Old 2006-10-01, 15:01
Toaster
New Blood

Melissa Cross sucks balls. Worst technique on earth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdjoK8D6DwI

She's actually against pushing hard.

Old 2006-10-07, 21:11
Requiem
Post-whore

She is horrible. She gives her self way to much credit for the shit she does. which isnt even good

Old 2006-10-11, 17:50
zaksriffer
New Blood

don't know if this is the right place for this but i guess someone will tell me quick enough... id love some feedback on a scream i do in hallowed be thy name on my myspace profile..its about 4mins into the song and just before the guitar solos..if u wanna check it out the address is www.myspace.com/chrisleadscreams ..any constructive critisism would be great cheers..

Old 2006-10-23, 21:38
ZRO
Senior Metalhead

Um i made a topic about black metal vocals can anyone explain it please?

Old 2006-11-04, 22:48
screamface78
New Blood

whell some tips would be practice the voice cause i have this super weird scream thing and at first i had trouble using it but later kept it because of practicing so try to do it each day and growls are harder than screaming

Old 2006-11-21, 11:08
USS
Senior Metalhead

A good grunt (or growl as it is called in this thread) needs practice. For me, it took something like four years to get one. I practice every day, no matter where, except for the classroom when I have college. People sometimes think it necessary to look strange if I do so, and they are right, but I really enjoy.
There are also some grunters you'd better not try to imitate, like Robert Westerholt of Within Temptation on their first CDs. His grunt does not make sense. It sounds more like gargling than grunts. But try some black metal bands, like Dimmu Borgir, Graveworm, BDM, and more of that kind.
By the way, the BDM screams are not difficult. Just grunt without trying to get a deep sound. Open your mouth like you are calling someone quite far away. This I hope will make you be a good screamer of BDM songs. Good luck!

MASKED

Old 2007-01-07, 03:06
Doometal76
New Blood

Question tips?

Just recently my friend and I decided to leave our death metal band and start a black metal band. I was all for it because personally I like BM more than I do DM. The problem is is that my vocal strength is DM growls ...well, they sound like Stefan from Graveworm and Peter from November's Doom growls but I can't get them as loud as I'd like. Anyway, back to the point, I need a more BM voice for my new band. I am unable to reach any high note (I was in a grindcore band before the DM band and I screamed a lot, and now I can't) anymore so I was wondering what I can do to possibly fix that. Bassically what I'm looking for is advice on how to go from DM to BM and on how to hit high notes without having to screech, since when I try to hit a high note with a clean voice nothing happens, I sound like I'm whispering and it's really embarrassing since I've always thought of myself as a vocalist. I'm only 16, so does this have any effect on my abilities as a BM/DM vocalist? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 2007-01-15, 16:08
USS
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doometal76
...well, they sound like Stefan from Graveworm...

The guy is called Stefano, for he is Italian.

MASKED

Old 2007-02-08, 08:20
belphegor79
Supreme Metalhead

Use your stomach. It's like lifting heavy objects, where you need strong legs. Start from the stomach, and appropriately bridge the gap between your stomach and throat. If you just use your throat as the power source, you'll lose your voice.

Old 2007-02-18, 05:57
DestinationChaos
New Blood

Hello all.
I've been trying to nail this screaming/growling thing for a few months now, I thought I had exhales down (all I did was use the phlegm in my throat and push a whisper) but it proves to be a tad unreliable, It cracks and cuts in and out, and judging by the way other people do it and describe it, I don't think that's the right way. I am able to do inward lows and highs, but that's not quite what I'm going for, (plus I heard it burns your chords out) unless I wanna pig squeel and whathave you.

I had been sifting through many posts, threads, and articles across the internet and still the true exhale scream method that I can understand eludes me. I just wanna know if I'm heading in the right direction. finally, here's my question; I can attain one of those high pitched girly screams or shrieks (like she saw a rat or an axe murderer or even that girl scream in the beginning of that job for a cowboy song), can I use that to work off of to get a good exhale? and if so, how?

Old 2007-02-19, 13:46
USS
Senior Metalhead

I am screaming and grunting for up to four years now, and this is how it worked for me:

I started with the first After Forever CD (Prison of Desire) and tried to imitate Sander Gommans, which the first months went quite bad, because I was gorgling rather than grunting. It sounded like nothing at all. It was even worse than Robert Westerholt from Within Temptation. Then my brother sayd that even a bass guitar would sound harder than me, so I tried to make it sound harder. Had problems with it first, but some months practice helps alot. I then bought the second After Forever CD (Decypher) and went on.
Good hint between the lines: do not try to imitate Robert from WT, because it is fucked up.
Some times after that (about half a year) I decided to try grunt things from Dimmu Borgir, and I am two years further. Now everyone in my prev highschool liking grunts wants me to teach them. I of course say 'no' everytime, because you have to teach it yourself by listening to ones that CAN grunt.

You'll have to force your voice (not too much in the beginning, for you'll get very sick then), else you will not hear any grunt.

The grunters considered good in this forum most of the time ARE good. So try them out.

MASKED

Old 2007-03-18, 02:28
ZRO
Senior Metalhead

I was looking to try out Tomas Lindberg's style, Slaughter Of The Soul era.

Can anyone do it, if so, can you explain it to me?

Old 2007-04-01, 22:27
SolothurN
Senior Metalhead

the vocal in Kataklysm's 'Road to Devastation'... the one singing 'Son confront me, kneel before me'... is it inhale vocal?

Old 2007-04-02, 12:46
ZRO
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolothurN
the vocal in Kataklysm's 'Road to Devastation'... the one singing 'Son confront me, kneel before me'... is it inhale vocal?

It sounds like it. Its a guest vocal appearance by Tim Roth from Into Eternity. But im not 100% sure its inhale.

Old 2007-04-05, 16:27
JOAMdude
Post-whore

i searched through all of the thread and couldn't realy find much

can someone explain to me how to do BM vox
from the ground up? i have absolutely no idea
very descriptive please

Old 2007-04-06, 00:52
JOAMdude
Post-whore

^

Old 2007-04-06, 15:34
JOAMdude
Post-whore

^

Old 2007-04-06, 21:44
crustcorestenchhead9
Metalhead

its really hard to explain. other people who can scream that i know have said they figured it out themselves and so have i. its really hard to teach someone these things ill try though. to get the idea of what your trying to do, do one of them wisper screams that sound like the BM screams. and if you feel your neck tense up and widen out sorta its the right concept. the tensing up you should be feeling is widening your neck out but you want it more tense so that if you were too look into the mirror in your mouth the dangley thing should go "up" and only the tip of it visable and the flaps on the side should close in to the area the dangly thing is. once you can get all of those you should be able to use a louder voice than a whisper and you should get that sound. so the whole concept is to close your throat up so you get a higher pitched sounds. and again its hard to teach people these things so this may not make any sence at all. hope it helps...

Old 2007-04-07, 00:16
JOAMdude
Post-whore

tank you
ill walk a mile into the woods and try it out

Old 2007-05-10, 00:42
ZRO
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRO
I was looking to try out Tomas Lindberg's style, Slaughter Of The Soul era.

Can anyone do it, if so, can you explain it to me?

^

Old 2007-06-06, 03:50
disfigured
New Blood

help and inhale vocal info

Heeeellppp. I can do both the growl and the scream, but I do them REALLY loud, and it's the only way I can do them. They sound alright. Kind of like Windir or Viking metal or something. It doesn't hurt or anything but it does have issues. I can only scream for about 4 seconds before I have to take a huge woof of a breath. I eventually get dizzy and you can eventually hear me panting like a dog in between screams.. Does anyone know a way to have the same sound but make it a little easier on me? When I try to make it quieter my voice gets very crackly, and wimpy and it sounds really bad...

Also.. A lot of people had unanswered inhale questions.. Unlike the exhale, I've almost mastered the inhale. I can hold a loud inhale for 1 minute, ahah. I do in the style of prostitute disfigurement but not as good because he's fucking awesome.. and the cleaner kind too.
So heres my explanation:
It can vary a lot, but this can get you started, and you can mess around to get different sounds. If you're a poser, do not do inhales, because to get the most awesome sounds, you have to make ugly faces.

First... Force down the back of your tongue, where you tonsils are into your throat..... It should feel as if you're choking yourself a bit.. Make your mouth a very small O shape and inhale softly. You should feel a soft rumble right where you are choking yourself with your tongue... This is how you do a deep inhale.. It probably wont sound deep at first, and you'll have to work on it.. make your throat as wide as possible, while keeping the choke feeling and you'll eventually get it.. This is what I like to call a wet inhale.. If you obtain control over that little rumble feeling you felt, you can move it around your thoat.. If you move it to the top... I like to call this a dry inhale because you are not using any mucus.. It is more difficult, and it sound rougher, but it can eventually get deeper than the wet inhale...

After you've mastered this you can do the high... That shouldnt be hard... never open your mouth wide like you're screaming.. you'll probably cough... Maintain I small O shape but make your mouth tighter.. Make your throat tighter as well and use the top portion to do a pig squeel noise.. You may not think this sound very good, but once you've mastered it, you can move onto the DUAL VOICE INHALE

This is easiest to start at at a very loud volume.. so if you can do the others at a loud volume without coughing, you're probably ready.. Do the deep one very hard a bunch of times and you'll eventually squeak like the high one... You'll struggle between the two but just do it very hard until you get it... deep is priority.. Although you can probably hear it, to everyone else the high will usually overpower the deep, so make the high as quiet as possible, and the deep as loud as possible.. A wet dual inhale will sound eerie and a dry one will sound brutal!! Try it

Old 2007-06-06, 05:23
disfigured
New Blood

Haha. By mucus, I meant saliva.
I don't eat boogers.

Old 2007-07-06, 16:23
lilpsycho41591
New Blood

II need some tips on how to get better I can growl pretty good sometimes but most of the time I sound like ___! I wanna know how to do it properly, but need it in words that won't make it seem complicated, I can't do the scream like every time I do it, it sounds like ___! I need some info on that, I really am interested in growling and screaming because I am starting a hardcore punkrock, metal band and I am lead vocals and lead guitar player!!! I wanna sound something like opeth or bullet for my valentine!

Last edited by lilpsycho41591 : 2007-07-06 at 16:25.

Old 2008-01-31, 06:29
MyOwnSavior
Registered Sex Offender

Chew Your Fingers

When I first got my laptop I recorded this to test the mic and the recorder program. My voice cracks at the beginning but I'm kinda happy with the rest. This isn't me at my best but it's pretty good I guess.
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

“I'm as firm as red clay and as constant as... drinkin'. I'm constantly drinkin'.” - Early Cuyler

Old 2008-02-01, 03:06
\m/Eat At Joe's\m/
Metalhead
Banned

GREAHT LULZ111 GUD SINGING GHREJT LUL1!!!

Old 2008-04-04, 04:17
THE SEDUCTION
New Blood

this goes out to dying-oath yer close your throght and force the air threw sounds like the best way to do it if you wanna eff your vocal chords

Old 2008-04-25, 02:38
FleshFiend
New Blood

Everyone Is Different

Well, personally I think that everyone is different when it comes to the metal vocals, no matter what super-specific genre. I used to be able to do the 'whisper' technique pretty well, and could RARELY get my voice loud...

But what really changed things for me was this:

I went to a Six Feet Under concert in summer of '05, and when they were playing I screamed along with all the (good) songs. After the show I went around talking to the various metalheads there as well as many of the members of the bands that had played that night. My voice didn't sound ANYTHING like me, and it sounded as if I'd been smoking cigs my entire life from birth (I don't smoke...cigs). Less than a month after this incident of extreme yelling and attempts to growl, I suddenly realized that not only did I have EXCELLENT range out of seemingly nowhere, my voice was now loud to the point that it would hurt my friends' ears if I screamed/growled as loud as I could whilst directing towards them.

My entire point is that I simply broke my voice in and then practiced religiously from there. Now, that may not work for some (or even a lot) of you, but it did for me...

Then again, as I said, everyone is completely different

THE END

Old 2008-04-26, 15:25
SuspendedByTheThroat
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleshFiend
Well, personally I think that everyone is different when it comes to the metal vocals, no matter what super-specific genre. I used to be able to do the 'whisper' technique pretty well, and could RARELY get my voice loud...

But what really changed things for me was this:

I went to a Six Feet Under concert in summer of '05, and when they were playing I screamed along with all the (good) songs. After the show I went around talking to the various metalheads there as well as many of the members of the bands that had played that night. My voice didn't sound ANYTHING like me, and it sounded as if I'd been smoking cigs my entire life from birth (I don't smoke...cigs). Less than a month after this incident of extreme yelling and attempts to growl, I suddenly realized that not only did I have EXCELLENT range out of seemingly nowhere, my voice was now loud to the point that it would hurt my friends' ears if I screamed/growled as loud as I could whilst directing towards them.

My entire point is that I simply broke my voice in and then practiced religiously from there. Now, that may not work for some (or even a lot) of you, but it did for me...

Then again, as I said, everyone is completely different

THE END

largely it's because being in a loud adrenaline increasing environment did "break your barrier"
you learned how to actually project.
adrenaline and passion
aswell as having to hear yourself
WILL help you increase your vocals
thats why when i go to a show that my band is playing at I throw down and get in the pit, listen to heavy music on the way there and kareoke to it, etc.
move around alot on stage, cuss at the cowd, etc
really really helps.

Old 2008-07-21, 23:14
ExhumedCarcass
Senior Metalhead

Disfigured you actually answered your own question in your post. You don't have the lung compasity for the exhales BECAUSE of your inhales. Doing inhales over and over actually decreases your lung capacity because you are not actually drawing enough oxygen into your lungs while doing them. There are various exercises that can be used to increase your lung capacity but your best bet is to cut down heavily on doing the inhales and just focus on the exhales. They'll get there eventually with enough practice.

Old 2008-08-02, 12:48
J.V.
New Blood

^ That actually doesn't make any sense (to me at least).
Can you provide medical/scientific basis to what you said there?

Old 2008-08-02, 17:40
ExhumedCarcass
Senior Metalhead

I'm not a scientist, nor am I aware of any studies that have been done on the subject but based on 8 years of doing death metal vocals of all sorts I've noticed a decrease in my actual lung capacity whenever I do inhales for extended periods of time. It doesn't happen overnight but over the coarse of a couple months it changed noticably in a negitive way. I theorized this was do to the fact that by slowly pulling in the air for the inhales I wasn't getting the proper quantity of oxygen needed in comparison to the amount that was being used by my body. In theory it would work the opposite if you limited yourself on how often you do them and used them as a building technique as opposed to actual vocals, meaning it would work like holding your breath to increase lung capacity but againan abundance of rest is required between doing so for it to have a possitive result. Made sense to me...

Old 2008-08-03, 16:15
J.V.
New Blood

^ Well, can't argue with experience either...
I just don't want to trust people just like that and later pass the wrong information to other people who might ask me.

Old 2008-08-24, 23:03
denimattack
New Blood

alright, i havent read through the many pages of thread here.

my predicament for screaming, sometimes i can get it,

im still experimenting on what works for me. when i do have it, i can get good rasp, no pain whatsoever, but when i swallow, clear my throat, or move to clean vox, i cant get back to the scream sound.

im not sure i am even doing it right, i just think im about half way there

anyone know what i am doing wrong?

Old 2008-08-25, 15:05
metalhead220
New Blood

sometimes that happens 2 me....ur throat might be dry....try drinking some more water or eating a little honey

Old 2008-08-27, 16:17
CAPCOPSNOW
New Blood

it might be keeping your throat moist i dont really know because i dont sing but ive heard theres special practice techniques you use when switching between singing and screaming i dont think theyd be that hard to find

Old 2008-09-11, 17:26
nureintier
New Blood

Quote:
Melissa Cross sucks balls. Worst technique on earth.

Well I woudn't say "sucks balls,: see below for my opinion, but none of what I heard on the DVDs sounded good to me, I have to admit.

Quote:
How do you go from the marge simpson voice to the scream? I bought the zen of screming but i thought she was really vauge when it came to screaming. I cant figure out how to go from the marge simpson voice to a scream

She doesn't even really go into it until Zen of Screaming 2, which is separate (I mean, unless you bought them both at once, and you seem not to have), which disappointed me. The exercises could be useful for anyone though, esp. if you havent had vocal lessons in the past. In all honesty though I found the DVDs to not be very useful for what I was going for (black metal) because she just goes over low death growls and screaming and vocal fry. I mean it wasn't directly useful, it's not that I didn't get anything out of it. I don't regret buying them, though, it was interesting to hear her talk about things and see the camera-down-the-throat footage and so on.
Quote:
can someone explain to me how to do BM vox
from the ground up? i have absolutely no idea
very descriptive please
Quote:
I sound like I'm whispering and it's really embarrassing since I've always thought of myself as a vocalist. I'm only 16, so does this have any effect on my abilities as a BM/DM vocalist? Any help would be appreciated.

Practice! I've seen so many people try to explain BM vocals but I still feel the only thing that works is practice. Play some CDs of band you like and know the words to. Scream along. Have fun and gain confidence by singing along and trying different things (rather than just imitating your favorite vocalist) and then try to develop a style that works for you. And have something to drink nearby to ward off coughing fits. It is also good clean fun to listen to non-BM bands and scream over them doing BM vox.

I really don't think anyone can explain it. Just be more vocal in general. Do stuff with your voice. Imitate your pets. Growl/scream along to CDs. Don't be self-conscious, just realize that sometimes you will sound silly and get over it. I honestly think the biggest barrier is that people don't practice and experiment enough.

Old 2008-09-12, 18:32
hail killizm
New Blood

WTF??? how can a diaphragm make a sound???? man you guys are realy confusing me.. what are those vocal chords for???

Old 2008-09-12, 19:33
metalhead220
New Blood

the diaphragm doesnt exactly make the noise itself but puts force behind it.....to get a better understanding of it n i hate 2 say it go on youtube n search "how to scream".....theres a few good ones that will come up

Old 2008-09-13, 15:54
hail killizm
New Blood

I know the use of diaphragm but these posts are confusing me... lol

Last edited by hail killizm : 2008-09-13 at 15:57.

Old 2008-12-05, 21:49
quisuasia
New Blood
Banned

free pass for live strip sex adult bouncer hardcore latin

http://img.xvideos.com/loading/thum...ba52cb7f.25.jpgamateur nuded photos free the scariest videos free retro big tit video clips fucked my couzin . gargoyles 1972 movie nipples pics videos . music video a amateur teen home sex video . adult entertainment oh zanesville teenagers attitudes to sex http://img.xvideos.com/loading/thum...7f51900d0.1.jpgrajendra prasad movies bin laden video tape rey mysterio music video all american girls baseball league video . video chat web sites samsung digital video cam . brother and sister havning sex kung fu forms video . casual sex in east fultonham ohio how to please you're wife sex http://img.xvideos.com/loading/thum...b3303eb6.14.jpguk video hot japan porn country music video webcast motorbike videos online . free wap porn vid total video converter serial number 3.1 . sell video games gamestop videos of aria giovanni . scenes from the movie basic instincts non-biological family for adults http://img.xvideos.com/loading/thum...3720f3a71.5.jpgamateur masurbation lesbian mature free movies memorex dvd video pbnation is teh sex . godzilla movie rental sex handbook of dark girl . sex dating in paris maine sigmund freud sex father . free indian movie sex free clips of horse sex http://img.xvideos.com/loading/thum...5488fe77.13.jpgapollo temple gay movie game techno video video musicals tiffany toth sex . free download inuyasha movie 2 black ten porns . high quality free movies the movie contractors 2007 . porn pspdownloads undercover the movie http://img.xvideos.com/loading/thum...10b4a745.18.jpgdead game rising video cartoon free hardcore online porn angelica sin video clip when she gets old video . movie blood diamond reviews actor in the movie animal . ivanna fuckalot sex big dick interracial sex . how to bootleg video strand movies il http://img.xvideos.com/loading/thum...3bbb33f3f.1.jpgipod video 5g skin orange tenn sex videos movies by jean shepard my wife the fuck toy . funny porn video clips neas read across america resources videos . free girls peeing video sites virgin teen free video . free brazillian fucking videos neurology of movies http://img.xvideos.com/loading/thum...f630f492.21.jpgtamil suspense movie download nuclear rifle video slut porn boob horny house wife porn blooppers . singapore bus video naked match point movie . quick time movies download coyote ugly movie soundtrack . gang banger movie kate s playground videos people kewego http://img.xvideos.com/loading/thum...1643828.900.jpggirls sex trailer the wedding movie movie quicktime watch adult dating in moscow ohio . muscular girls get fucked virging videos . agp video card for g5 sibley ia movies . city hbo in sex beautiful agony overkill videos free http://img.xvideos.com/loading/thum...229fef568.2.jpgslut home movie off road crash videos benefits of frequent sex merge video file . sex dating in northamptonshire uk news adult . sweet adri movie rapidshare free webcam porn requiring no membership . sex orgy in new munster wisconsin norco high porn star http://img.xvideos.com/loading/thum...6cf0f913.11.jpgcountry sex pics nick berger video national anthem military video adventist videos . prince frederick maryland movie theatre gunman movie . open videos without passwords bare butt anal free videos . bri video picture superhead video vixen wild sex drink florida milf for sex

Old 2009-01-09, 00:46
Slash181
New Blood

fuck! :@

hey after reading all the pages and watchin the cross dvd and listening to screamers.....everyone is contradicting everyone else. so this came to a conclusion in my head - everybodys throats are different, different techniques work for some but not for others, everyone can scream just different pitches n tones.
but ..... im in a band that wants me to scream, now im aiming for more of a corey scream (the knot) i used to have it when i was sitting down in front of my moniter screamin hell into it doin tracks like the rich man - roadrunner united. and over the last year ive lost or cant remember what i did. im not sure if i just drank lots of room temp coke, cuz when i drink water my throat doesnt feel coated or hydrated at all. so quite recently ive been practicing and its there sometimes but its not there otheres so this is where i go onto breathing and throat positions.....
people say let the air go into ur stomach and use that not ur diaphragm, some people say use ur diaphragm not ur chest, others say imagine the sound coming from ur larynx (just under adams apple) and im like.....eh.....
maybe people could put alot of stuff right if we could kill cross cuz shes just a waste of time with the pencil idea, and find some proper people worth fuckin talkin to :@ i just wanna scream again

Old 2009-01-17, 05:02
metalhead220
New Blood

u def need 2 scream using ur diaphram: breathing into your stomach and tensing ur abs.....as for u be able 2 do the scream all the time it might b a matter of u warming up or not

Old 2009-01-17, 19:47
ash2490
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash181
People say let the air go into ur stomach and use that not ur diaphragm, some people say use ur diaphragm not ur chest, others say imagine the sound coming from ur larynx (just under adams apple) and im like.....eh.....

Assuming that people are discussing the same style of screaming, things probably aren't necessarily as contradictory as they might seem, it's just that people explain the same basic ideas in such different ways.

Take the above quote for example. You need to be breathing from the diaphragm no matter what. Properly breathing with the diaphragm means that the abdomen will expand during inhalation rather than the chest, and the abdomen will generally be the area you should push from when projecting your vocals. Breathing and projecting from the chest area will put a LOT more stress on the voice, will generate less power and sustain, and is in general one of the single worst things you can do with just about any kind of vocals.

While the power comes from the diaphragm, the sound itself will originate in either the vocal cords or the false vocal cords, which are both housed in the larynx.

Also, and this is just my opinion, it sounds like might be considering advice from too many different types of sources. For instance, the technique that Melissa Cross mainly focuses on with things like the pencil exercise is fry, which does have its place but is completely worthless for the kind of sound you want to achieve. As such, information regarding the technique shouldn't even be taken into account. If you make it a point to only focus on advice regarding the specific style you want to learn, you might not come across as much confilicting information.

Old 2009-04-18, 19:25
Burnasembers99
New Blood

Wow...

Wow, I have to say all the "advice" up here isn't all that good, though I won't point fingers.
First off, if you use your throat to scream, your gunna fuck that shit up REAL quick. You need to use your diaphragm, which if your not used to using it intentionally you have to practice muscle control for it. You also have to get into the habit of "picturing" your sound in your head, and picturing your throat like a hollow tube (trust me, it helps). The more your throat is closed off, the more you have to push to get the air out. The more you push, the more you strain your vocal chords and any spit in your throat will "gurgle" and can cause your throat to scrath and scar. As you can see, thats a BAD thing.
Avoid acidic things, like lemonade and soda. This should be self explanitory, acidic=acid acid=ow. Milk is debatable, Ive heard good things about it but I do fine without it. The few times I have used it, it just coats your throat for a few minutes and you can't tell by the feeling in your throat if your doing it right. And if your not and the coat wears off, its gunna hurt. Im not saying you shouldn't drink these things ever again, just not the days you practice by yourself or with your band, and definatly not during a show! Same goes for smoking and drinking alchohol. Im a smoker, but the day of practice I don't smoke until Im sure Im done screaming for the day.
Warm up. I know that sounds stupid, but your voice is your instrument, and you need to take care of it. Athletes can testify to warming up. Working with "cold" muscles can EASILY cause pulling muscles and other pains. You DONT want to pull the muscles in your throat, experiance can say, it fucking HURTS. Try warming up by singing, just do the "do re me fa so la te do" shit for a bit, and slowly try screaming it. You may sound ridiculous, but its just something to do to make things better. You can sing random songs, humming works in a pinch, or just going "EEEEYOW" a few times before you do it for practice can also work when your restrained for time. I usually spend about 15-20 minutes warming up, and it helps.
I suggest to just learn how to use your diaphragm to scream, NOT your throat. Look up on youtube "screaming vocal tips" and other related tags as well, and you can find alot of great help (as long as alot of shitty help). If any of them say "if it hurts your doing it right" then they are just fucking stupid. Though there IS a disclaimer for even that statement: There is a difference between pressure and pain.
You WANT pressure on your throat when your done as you just start practicing. It means your muscles are getting trained. Compare it like this: You ride a bike for the first time and you end up going quite a distance and back. Your legs feel tight. Same goes for screaming, though again make sure you pay attention to whats pain and whats pressure. Thats all I can say really.

Old 2011-09-27, 21:20
ProgVox
New Blood

Vocal Distortion Demonstration By Robert Lunte & The Vocalist Studio

ROBERT LUNTE DEMONSTRATIONS TVS DISTORTION FOR FRENCH SINGERS:
https://thevocaliststudio.box.net/s...gupvbr17l8p.wma
www.thevocaliststudio.com
robert@thevocaliststudio.com
www.skype.com : "rjlseagull"

Old 2013-05-24, 20:55
Yescupon
New Blood